Ghostofman

Rise of the Separatists Era Book

On 8/10/2018 at 10:15 AM, HappyDaze said:

I'm not sure I like the idea of a specific Jedi career. It really makes the FaD Careers all feel even more like poseurs now.

I feel like my favorite band just sold out.

On 8/10/2018 at 10:30 AM, 2P51 said:

It's a good book.

*&%$%# NDAs! Well, if you don't like this post, I'm going to assume that the Jedi career is balderdash. If you do, I might assume something else, but that's not you blabing, m'kay...

14 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

Maybe. So far, we’re seeing a small degree of synergy with the era books. Dawn of Rebellion’s originally targeted release would have put the book heavy on Rebels information on shelves when the show’s final season began. As it was, it hit stores in synch with the finale.  Now, we’ve got the announcement of a Clone Wars book hot on the heels of the announcement of the 12 episode final season (which doesn’t have a premiere date yet). If the book’s release ends up around the time of the premiere, I’d say there’s the possibility of a sequel era book around the time of IX’s home video release.

Yes. But it did not include anything from the end of the series. FFG doesnt get behind the scenes stuff. So if they did one the best they could donis ep7 and 8 stuff.

3 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

Yes. But it did not include anything from the end of the series. FFG doesnt get behind the scenes stuff. So if they did one the best they could donis ep7 and 8 stuff.

Right, but it did include up through the end of season 3, which would have been up-to-date for the initially announced release window putting it on shelves at about the start of the final season. Part of the operation gets some degree of advance information to work with, as noted by X-Wing being able to get minis of ships (stats included) from TFA and TLJ on shelves within about a week of the movies opening, respectively. That's why I suggest that a sequel Era book might hit around the same time as the home video release, which tends to be 4-5 months after theatrical release. So, I don't see a sequel trilogy Era book heavy on Eps 7 and 8 with some degree of 9 information hitting shelves April/May 2020 as unrealistic.

9 hours ago, Lorne said:

I feel like my favorite band just sold out.

*&%$%# NDAs! Well, if you don't like this post, I'm going to assume that the Jedi career is balderdash. If you do, I might assume something else, but that's not you blabing, m'kay...

8 hours ago, 2P51 said:

I like what they did in the book. Some won't. 

For what it's worth, I really like what they did with this book, too.  But I obviously can't say more than generic non-specific opinions.

On 8/11/2018 at 3:21 AM, Stan Fresh said:

Makes sense when you make the rather easy assumption that Sidious wanted to make the Jedi morally degrade themselves, not just kill them.

That's not what I mean. As I said, from Sith perspective it was perfect. 

The issue is that the jedi are stupid for getting dragged into the war and keep fighting a war after they realized that their own soldiers are basically build based on the order of Darth Tyranus.  

1 hour ago, SEApocalypse said:

The issue is that the jedi are stupid for getting dragged into the war and keep fighting a war after they realized that their own soldiers are basically build based on the order of Darth Tyranus.  

They don't have any other option. Stand down, and they have to watch as the Republic is destroyed by the CIS.

At the start of the Phantom Menace the galaxy and the Republic had experienced a thousand years of peace. The densely populated planets each had small militias for selfdefense and pirate hunting and also some security and police forces. The Republic had an underfunded peacekeeping force. Nothing that was able to deal with a Lucre-Hulk carrier. 

2 hours ago, scottmcfarland said:

Out of interest how many people here have been or are contributors to the SW RPG?

That would depend on how you define "Contributors". If you mean writers and developers? Only a very small handful frequent these boards. If you mean playtesters, then quite a few. FFG uses these forums as one of its sources for selecting their playtesters.

3 hours ago, SEApocalypse said:

They might have been forced to use them at first, but they could easily have started mass recruitment from across the Republic and built up a new army in their place not long after the Clone Wars began, but they didn't because why bother when they've already got the Clone army? The whole situation was expertly calculated by Darth Sidious to force the Jedi to use the army then make them dependent on it, so they're all caught with their pants down when Order 66 was issued.

Been spending more time looking over the announcement. Got to say, the new Obi-Wan stats are ridiculous - and pretty much exactly what I expected. He's THE bada** of the Clone Wars Era.

Hoping that, in terms of content, they actually DO collect some of the scattered Clone Wars gear/vehicle/adversary bits that are scattered across the three product lines, because they're usually found in expansion books rather than in Core. Droidekas, which IMO are a pretty staple CIS adversary, only appear in the back of one of the FnD Adventure Module books - not something that the majority of people necessarily own.

Pouting a bit that we're not getting playable stats for some of the more unique species from the Clone Wars TV series - Harch, Zygerrian, Karkarodon, ect. Sure they're "villain" species, but they'd be fun as heck to play.

The only thing about the Rise of the Separatists book that sort-of worries me is the idea of a "Jedi" Career. I kind of thought the FnD product line WAS the Jedi career.

Still 100% looking forward to the book, though. *more happy cyborg noises*

10 minutes ago, General Skeevus said:

Been spending more time looking over the announcement. Got to say, the new Obi-Wan stats are ridiculous - and pretty much exactly what I expected. He's THE bada** of the Clone Wars Era.

Hoping that, in terms of content, they actually DO collect some of the scattered Clone Wars gear/vehicle/adversary bits that are scattered across the three product lines, because they're usually found in expansion books rather than in Core. Droidekas, which IMO are a pretty staple CIS adversary, only appear in the back of one of the FnD Adventure Module books - not something that the majority of people necessarily own.

Pouting a bit that we're not getting playable stats for some of the more unique species from the Clone Wars TV series - Harch, Zygerrian, Karkarodon, ect. Sure they're "villain" species, but they'd be fun as heck to play.

The only thing about the Rise of the Separatists book that sort-of worries me is the idea of a "Jedi" Career. I kind of thought the FnD product line WAS the Jedi career.

Still 100% looking forward to the book, though. *more happy cyborg noises*

RE: F&D, it's never been about official badge-wearing Jedi, right? It's set post-Order-66. You *could* use it to play Jedi, of course, in the same way you could use AoR careers to play Imperial Cadets.

I'm a bit disappointed that they're including stats for Obi-Wan. I mean, nobody's actually going to fight him, and he's powerful enough that if he showed up as friendly NPC in combat he'd overshadow everyone. Not a huge fan of the 'stat all the named characters!' thing they did in Dawn of Rebellion, that took a lot of space that could otherwise have been used for more modular encounters or gear or basic enemy stats.

I personally agree with the gathering clone wars stuff from other books. I only own stuff for edge of the empire rn and it certainly would appeal to gather that for me. Especially since I was planning on using some CW tech in my campaign I am kicking off in a couple weeks. I'll either end up statting my own or surfing the forums for stats. I am a huge CW era enthusiast and I love clones but yes, the moral uncertainties in a campaign is very appealing to me along with the capabilities of playing the CIS. Although, with the CIS it probably would be a bit interesting for social encounters if you are running something that you are kinda fresh out of the factory so you'd have to have the players develop that personality a bit slower than they would with a traditional PC.

2 hours ago, kaosoe said:

That would depend on how you define "Contributors". If you mean writers and developers? Only a very small handful frequent these boards. If you mean playtesters, then quite a few. FFG uses these forums as one of its sources for selecting their playtesters.

Either really. With the announcement of the new Era book some people are revealing that they've known about it for a while now so I was curious.

46 minutes ago, Talkie Toaster said:

RE: F&D, it's never been about official badge-wearing Jedi, right? It's set post-Order-66. You *could* use it to play Jedi, of course, in the same way you could use AoR careers to play Imperial Cadets.

I'm a bit disappointed that they're including stats for Obi-Wan. I mean, nobody's actually going to fight him, and he's powerful enough that if he showed up as friendly NPC in combat he'd overshadow everyone. Not a huge fan of the 'stat all the named characters!' thing they did in Dawn of Rebellion, that took a lot of space that could otherwise have been used for more modular encounters or gear or basic enemy stats.

I have a similar feeling.

On the one hand I don't mind too much, after all, the players may be separatists so wanting numbers for someone like Obi or Rex is a perfectly reasonable thing.

On the other, I really dislike it when they are formally presented, even more so as gods among ants.

I like how, with a little narrative flexibility, you can do everything they do in the films with player grade characters. It makes it clear the players are heroes of the same caliber, of their own story.

While mechanically it makes sense to make the NPCs with 5's and 4's, it gives the impression you need a dozen ranks of dedication to match them...

30 minutes ago, Ghostofman said:

While mechanically it makes sense to make the NPCs with 5's and 4's, it gives the impression you need a dozen ranks of dedication to match them...

And, if a PC did get that many ranks of Dedication, they would probably have Force Rating 8+ too, which is silly and probably far higher than what those NPCs have.

So, a while back the Retired Clone Trooper caught my eye. I saw it and said, "Man, I dont play that game... but I think it would be interesting to see how you could play that in 20 years later concept. Your playing a 30yo with the body of a 60yo. That sucks bro..."

And still, I havent found time or people to play with. But with this, you could roll up an entire legion or something, and run a campaign seperate from the TV show or whatever. Tell that story, then evolve a character that lives, into the RCT later on.

1 hour ago, scottmcfarland said:

Either really. With the announcement of the new Era book some people are revealing that they've known about it for a while now so I was curious.

As far as writers go, I'm not sure I typically see any of my freelancing co-authors on here. I'm sure some lurk, but many avoid the forums for mental health and productivity reasons. As far as in-house devs, I think some of them lurk, but they don't tend to post. Honestly, there's generally a bigger chance of saying something wrong and getting in trouble/putting our gig at risk by posting on here than there is a benefit. I'm not on here all that often, but it wasn't that long ago I was on the WOTC forums desperate for any shred of information, so I know how it feels to be on that side of the fence. So I try to at least show up a little bit. 

But yes, there are a ton of playtesters that are on here all the time (and they fulfill a really important part of the production cycle). If you really want to interact with the freelancers, your best move is to follow or friend request on social media. Most of us aren't hard to find. But even then, don't expect to hear about products in advance. Every time someone asks us for more information about an upcoming release, you're basically asking us to risk our livelihood (such as it is) to satisfy your curiosity. But, if you have questions about released products we worked on, most of us are generally only too happy to discuss them!