Ghostofman

Rise of the Separatists Era Book

14 hours ago, Goose666 said:

I wonder if we are ever going to see the book released..  no matter about what is in it.. 

Do you ever stop and wonder if it's real? Maybe this is some really complex trip we are all on together and the book doesn't even exist!

35 minutes ago, evo454 said:

Do you ever stop and wonder if it's real? Maybe this is some really complex trip we are all on together and the book doesn't even exist! 

I was doing so well in this regard, and now you come and tear down everything ... :ph34r:

On 12/5/2018 at 9:21 PM, SSB_Shadow said:

Or heck, a Zygerrian could fit better with all factions as it could be Jedi, scoundrel or separatist.

Theres a Zygerrian Jedi and street urchins on Coruscant in the new marvel republic comic series.

Edited by Eoen

18 hours ago, Goose666 said:

I wonder if we are ever going to see the book released..  no matter about what is in it.. 

It’s probably stuck in a customs inspection queue, because of the government shutdown.

8 minutes ago, Eoen said:

It’s probably stuck in a customs inspection queue, because of the government shutdown.

From what I heard, customs isn’t affected by the shutdown.

44 minutes ago, Yaccarus said:

I've heard it's less effected than the 2013 shutdown, because it's more automated.

2 hours ago, Yaccarus said:

That's a negative Ghostrider.

So, Customs Agents are still working, though not being paid. Thing is, there's more to customs than the agents, you've got plenty of support staff backing them up doing more mundane but required tasks to allow the agents to focus on their jobs. It's those support people that aren't working.

The Government is funny in that while "key and essential" people still work through shutdowns (though they may or may not get paid until the end of said shutdown) the government definition of "key and essential" is quite different from the civilian world's definition. In government it's basically someone to come in, turn on the lights, answer the phone, and call everyone in if a real emergency happens, but not all the people required to actually do whatever that office does. 

A good comparison would be to think of the government as your local superstore. They get the order to execute and orderly shutdown, throw out all the perishable food items, shut off the lights and lock the doors. Every day the General Manager comes in, as does a minimal staff of security guards, as they are "key and essential" but the rest of the staff doesn't come in, the doors remain locked, the lights mostly out, and nothing is for sale. The GM gets caught up on paperwork, or some in-house computer-based training he needs to do, maybe does some minor thing in the store to keep it from totally falling apart like calling a plumber if a pipe blows, but that's all. Security does a few checks, and makes sure no one breaks in to loot the place, but that's about it.

So, while the Customs inspectors are all still working, they probably have to manually process all their inspections themselves, where before the shutdown there were probably other people to handle that work. As such, they are also probably prioritizing things like perishables, and big stuff that takes up a lot of space in the warehouse and yard. Containers full of books and little plastic spaceships are probably low on that list.

If it was stuck in customs, you think FFG would simply state that so as to stop their customer getting frustrated by the lack of communications, but then again its not really as it FFG seem to care about us is it? 

I have been looking forward to this book for a while, as I hope it will have info I want and wish to use, but now months over due and not a single word. 
The re-prints are no longer coming through for previous books and so you cannot help but wonder if maybe they have pulled the plug. 

27 minutes ago, Goose666 said:

If it was stuck in customs, you think FFG would simply state that so as to stop their customer getting frustrated by the lack of communications, but then again its not really as it FFG seem to care about us is it? 

Internal policies of not publicly discussing reasons for delays does not necessarily indicate that a company “doesn’t care about their customers.”

I’ve used this example during the last delay, but here goes again. Several years ago at work, a Mac OS update caused a catastrophic conflict with one of my employers’ pieces of companion software that allowed communication between computer and the actual device. It took about 1.5 years to fix. During that time, no matter what a customer’s comment was (we got a lot of, “If you’re not going to support Mac anymore, just say so”), all we could say was that we were aware of the issue, the software team was working on a solution, but we had no ETA for that solution. It would appear FFG has a similar policy in place: if asked, acknowledge the issue/delay exists and that it will be addressed, without offering a timeline (that could ultimately be missed, based on circumstances).

2 hours ago, Goose666 said:

🤣

32 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

It would appear FFG has a similar policy in place: if asked, acknowledge the issue/delay exists and that it will be addressed, without offering a timeline (that could ultimately be missed, based on circumstances).

I work in the primary call center for my university and we have a similar rule when it comes to technical issues on campus and with services. If our site goes down and we don't know when it'll be back up, we answer calls with "Yes, we are aware of the issue and are doing everything we can to fix it" but never say "it will be done by 5:00pm today" (unless it is a previously scheduled maintenance). 

What shocks me about it is that they've been doing so many other things in the mean time. I know it's not deliberate and that they are a big enough company to do multiple things, but it does have this air of:

"We're making an Allies and Adversaries supplement for Star Wars RPG to release later this year!"

"What about that Clone Wars Era source book you told us about last September?"

*read 9:23*

(for the record, I love FFG, and I'm sure there's a reason this is taking so long. If it were easy, everyone would do it, but I do love making jokes about a boat being sunk and/or commandeered by pirates)

43 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Internal policies of not publicly discussing reasons for delays does not necessarily indicate that a company “doesn’t care about their customers.”

I’ve used this example during the last delay, but here goes again. Several years ago at work, a Mac OS update caused a catastrophic conflict with one of my employers’ pieces of companion software that allowed communication between computer and the actual device. It took about 1.5 years to fix. During that time, no matter what a customer’s comment was (we got a lot of, “If you’re not going to support Mac anymore, just say so”), all we could say was that we were aware of the issue, the software team was working on a solution, but we had no ETA for that solution. It would appear FFG has a similar policy in place: if asked, acknowledge the issue/delay exists and that it will be addressed, without offering a timeline (that could ultimately be missed, based on circumstances).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_JkoYLyQ1oIYtGCSmRIGqq90wmN0rxgs

23 minutes ago, evo454 said:

[please hold for meme]

[meme not working. File Size issues]

FFG pretty much doesn’t let you upload images directly, and even if they’re really small, once you’ve uploaded an image or too, the allotted file space will fill up. You’d have to upload it to a third party site.

2 hours ago, evo454 said:

I work in the primary call center for my university and we have a similar rule when it comes to technical issues on campus and with services. If our site goes down and we don't know when it'll be back up, we answer calls with "Yes, we are aware of the issue and are doing everything we can to fix it" but never say "it will be done by 5:00pm today" (unless it is a previously scheduled maintenance). 

What shocks me about it is that they've been doing so many other things in the mean time. I know it's not deliberate and that they are a big enough company to do multiple things, but it does have this air of:

"We're making an Allies and Adversaries supplement for Star Wars RPG to release later this year!"

"What about that Clone Wars Era source book you told us about last September?"

*read 9:23*

(for the record, I love FFG, and I'm sure there's a reason this is taking so long. If it were easy, everyone would do it, but I do love making jokes about a boat being sunk and/or commandeered by pirates)

Maybe the captain's Revenge obligation triggered with a doubleroll T_T

10 hours ago, Goose666 said:

I have been looking forward to this book for a while, as I hope it will have info I want and wish to use, but now months over due and not a single word. 
The re-prints are no longer coming through for previous books and so you cannot help but wonder if maybe they have pulled the plug. 

I don’t expect any publisher or other business to keep the public regularly informed on supply chain issues. Stock prices drop and reputations are ruined over that kind of negative news.

Edited by Eoen

49 minutes ago, Eoen said:

I don’t expect any publisher or other business to keep the public regularly informed on supply chain issues. Stock prices drop and reputations are ruined over that kind of negative news.

Plus how the F would they know? I'm sure customs sends updates to the businesses of America.  Little rough math the US imports $6.5 billion worth of goods averaged daily. Thinking even when there isn't a shutdown customs is busier than a 1 legged man in the hopscotch olympics.....

On 1/23/2019 at 6:28 AM, Yaccarus said:

We were serious the first time this happened.  Now that many of use have lived through this several times (and thank goodness we survived, that was the important part) it comes off as a little humorous when folks think it's somehow going to be different this time. 

Looks like we're blocking meme hosting urls 'round here.

6 hours ago, themensch said:

We were serious the first time this happened.  Now that many of use have lived through this several times (and thank goodness we survived, that was the important part) it comes off as a little humorous when folks think it's somehow going to be different this time.

I know it's going to come out eventually, but making memes about it and giving FFG a hard time is just fun to me.

My serious opinion is that there is a good reason for the delay, and I'm willing to wait for the release of a good product. Much rather be patient now and get a great book rather than have them rush it to meet the deadline and the book be bad.

1 hour ago, evo454 said:

I know it's going to come out eventually, but making memes about it and giving FFG a hard time is just fun to me.

My serious opinion is that there is a good reason for the delay, and I'm willing to wait for the release of a good product. Much rather be patient now and get a great book rather than have them rush it to meet the deadline and the book be bad.

I'm with you there- this is the third such instance I can recall for this "line" and I'm not going to fret over it.  Something happened, they're never going to tell us, and customer service doesn't know any more than we do so it's not really worth bothering them about.  We can speculate all we want, that's part of the fun of it.  We'll never know until one of us gains omniscience so we might as well have a little fun at their expense.  It's not like they read the forums...  🚢

8 hours ago, themensch said:

I'm with you there- this is the third such instance I can recall for this "line" and I'm not going to fret over it.  Something happened, they're never going to tell us, and customer service doesn't know any more than we do so it's not really worth bothering them about.  We can speculate all we want, that's part of the fun of it.  We'll never know until one of us gains omniscience so we might as well have a little fun at their expense.  It's not like they read the forums...  🚢

Yup, maybe they received the full shipment and noticed that the title was the same as the other thread on this topic: Rise of the Separtist's