evcameron

Composure talent and intentionally failing a linked action

Does failing an action still count as having done that action? Could an Interceptor Boost, fail a Barrel roll to the right and do white Focus instead then activate Autothrusters again to Barrel roll to the left? Or does the rule against preforming the same action twice stop that?

Edited by mcgreag

4 hours ago, mcgreag said:

Does failing an action still count as having done that action? Could an Interceptor Boost, fail a Barrel roll to the right and do white Focus instead then activate Autothrusters again to Barrel roll to the left? Or does the rule against preforming the same action twice stop that?

I asked the same thing no Answer

2 hours ago, Sir13scott said:

I asked the same thing no Answer

I see no reason in the rules your scenario doesn’t work. You can’t do the same action twice no, but you didn’t do it the first time if you failed. They might rule otherwise but I see no reason your autothusters scenarion wouldn’t work.

2 hours ago, LordFajubi said:

I see no reason in the rules your scenario doesn’t work. You can’t do the same action twice no, but you didn’t do it the first time if you failed. They might rule otherwise but I see no reason your autothusters scenarion wouldn’t work.

Agreed. 

The only thing I can see is:

If an action fails, the player does not choose a different action to perform and cannot choose to resolve the effect in a different way.

My reading is that a failed action is an action that didn't resolve, not an action that was not performed. But I wouldn't bet my house on it or anything.

43 minutes ago, __underscore__ said:

The only thing I can see is:

My reading is that a failed action is an action that didn't resolve, not an action that was not performed. But I wouldn't bet my house on it or anything.

That’s so if you fail your boost right you don’t get the option to try a straight boost instead. 

Autothrusting after the composure focus is a brand new action and wouldn’t be subject to that section of the rule book. 

Personally, I'm of the interpretation that, once you attempt and fail at an action, even if granted a free action of some kind later (whether Autothrusters off the Composure focus, or a Coordinate, or so forth), you've still used that action in the "once per turn" sense of any action.  A failed action isn't one that you didn't take, but an action "which means the effect did not resolve as intended and instead is resolved in a default way. [RR, p.11]"  You still "performed" a Barrel Roll action, the Barrel Roll action simply didn't resolve like how a Barrel Roll action normally resolves.  As such, you cannot barrel roll again.

Anyhow, Composure A-Wings and Interceptors look like a lot of fun to me.  Setting up turns where you can cheat out extra actions just seems interesting.

Edited by theBitterFig