heychadwick

The manual effort with changing to 2.0

I have a lot of ships as I've been playing since Wave 1.  The 3 conversion kits and new Core set get most of my ships converted and I'll trade the ships I don' need for the ones I do.  I will say, though, that it takes a lot of effort to convert!!!!

Going through 3 conversion kits and punching all that out took a lot longer than I thought it would.  The hardest was trying to match the 2 dial parts and I almost punched out the holes with the code on it.  This took a good bit of time.  Also, sorting all the 3 kits and putting like for like for upgrades took a while.  

I thought that took a long time....but then I realized I had to put it in my case!  I've got a big Plano and first had to get rid of all the old dials and chits.   I ended up just getting a kitchen trash bag to dump it all in.   All the old tokens and numbered tombstones and such.   It took a while!   I'm still not even done.   I was able to get Rebel and Scum done last night, but it took at least an hour.   I still have Imperials, and I have a lot of those.   

Anyone else daunted by the amount of effort for conversion?

When 2.0 was announced, I have been on hiatus until it is officially released in Sept. So I have a lot of time to get reorganized. As of this date, I have over 170 models, and as you can imagine ALOT of cardboard to sort through. It took me a full day just to gather it all, put it in a large cardboard box and store it. (Who knows? Someone may want it.) I de-sleeved my cards and stored all ship and upgrades in a separate container. I am now ready for the new stuff! 

By the way, my wife thinks I'm absolutely crazy, but she puts up with me ?

2 hours ago, heychadwick said:

The hardest was trying to match the 2 dial parts and I almost punched out the holes with the code on it. 

Time out. 

They put the dial codes on the inner punches circle?

The ones that have often times in the past popped out before I even opened a boxed ship?

The ones that if you switch dials from the standard cardboard cover to the plastic fancy dials and back because you don't want 30 plastic dial covers have now been in the trash for months if not years? So where you had the code on the dial you now have to match maneuvers?

1 minute ago, ViscerothSWG said:

Time out. 

The ones that have often times in the past popped out before I even opened a boxed ship?

The ones that if you switch dials from the standard cardboard cover to the plastic fancy dials and back because you don't want 30 plastic dial covers have now been in the trash for months if not years? So where you had the code on the dial you now have to match maneuvers?

Riiight, the poison for Kuzco.

The poison chosen specifically to kill Kuzco.

Kuzco's poison.

That poison?

44 minutes ago, ViscerothSWG said:

Time out. 

On some if them, yes.  They were tight on space.  Not the Imps,  though.   Look before you punch.

I will say that I didn't open mine until a few days after GenCon and I totted mine around too many times.   None were punched out early.

I mean yeah, if you decide to go through THREE kits worth of content at once you're going to put yourself through a lot instead of spacing things out along a more reasonable length of time

given the sheer volumes of lists you can make out of the contents of a single kit, I think you can afford to go one at a time

That is... disappointing. 

A 6 character long code is all they needed. They would have to spend 2 minutes to assign all existing ships a code before release, but there's no requirement to later release them in numerical order.

SWZ01A (or X), SWZ01B (or T), SWZ02, etc...

Since all ships start with SWZ, they could even skip that part for 3 characters max.

Or since it's a graphic print, just use the little ship symbol like what is on the cards and the plastic dial chit. The center of the ship graphic could even be within the punchout area to allow it to be bigger.

Oh well.

I'll still pull the lever.

57 minutes ago, Arc170Chris said:

it's still a lot. lol

I usually get stuff like that out while I'm watching a movie or playing a computer game (need SOMETHING to do during loading screens).

Edited by JJ48

1 hour ago, ViscerothSWG said:

Time out. 

The ID for each ship's maneuver dial is printed on both sides of the dial. So, if you accidentally punch out the center, just flip the dial to see which ship it is for. However, because the ID is in very small print, I'm going to take a Sharpie and write what ship it is to make it easier to ID the dial.

I took absolutely everything I have for 1.0 to our local shop last week. Rather than play I went through all of it and sorted out what I was keeping.

Gave away several models, lots of tokens, some carry cases.

Emptied my pilot card binder.

Realised my upgrade binder was dead due to the size so didn't other emptying it.

Tipped stuff in the bin.

Then realised I hadn't kept any pegs back. I guess I'll get some in the core set!

I'm basically ready to go. I need to unbox, and then just slip the new stuff in.

Time out. 

Time out. 

No, they didn't. Like, technically they did, but it's also on the back of the dial and the cover I.e. Where it won't show up in a game, but can be identified for assembly. A friend was looking to use 1.0 covers for his 2.0 dials and we noticed that the ship code would show up on the back.

On the plus side, that‘s way, way, way better than trashing everything from 1.0 and still punching out the same amount of new stuff.

Like, the only difference is self-imposed: you want to do all at once and thus it is more work to do at once.

Don’t worry, I have a plan once my conversion kits arrive. I’m just going to sit down with everything all at once and wave my hand and magically make it take less than an hour to punch out, sort and assemble it all. :D

Edited by Herowannabe

I literally just finished filing all mt Ver. 1 stuff.  My intention is to simply place the card binders and token trays in storage, because I've got at least one buddy who plans to stick with 2.0.  I'm all in on 2.0, but I can store all of my 1.0 stuff that I won't routinely need in a what amounts to a milk crate.  If I had to guess, I'll never actually touch the stuff again, but its actually going to save me some time doing it this way.  

I'm just planning on a lazy Saturday of beers and organizing. My brain likes the "filing" aspect of stowing old components, and it will be nice to filter down my lists; I tend to bring an absurdly unplayable number of lists with me to casual days and I like the idea of paring back down (insomuch as I can with the absurd number of ships I have).

I'm also planning on keeping all my 1.0 pilots and upgrades in their existing binders, and just buying new binders (and thank the Maker, just ONE size of card sleeve pages) for 2.0 cards.

On 8/10/2018 at 10:27 AM, ViscerothSWG said:

That is... disappointing. 

A 6 character long code is all they needed. They would have to spend 2 minutes to assign all existing ships a code before release, but there's no requirement to later release them in numerical order.

SWZ01A (or X), SWZ01B (or T), SWZ02, etc...

Since all ships start with SWZ, they could even skip that part for 3 characters max.

Or since it's a graphic print, just use the little ship symbol like what is on the cards and the plastic dial chit. The center of the ship graphic could even be within the punchout area to allow it to be bigger.

Oh well.

I'll still pull the lever.

...until the day they try out dials differentiated with pilots for the same ship....

If you think that's outlandish, then consider that ship abilities can already vary depending on its pilot.

It took me like 3 days to pack up all my 1.0 stuff and unload all the 2.0 stuff (1 of each kit plus core set).  It probably took longer than normal because I make dial protectors for both halves of my dials out of contact paper, I made a bunch in advance but it still wasn't enough.  People who don't do that, and especially people who own a more moderate collection, probably won't need as much time.

On 8/10/2018 at 9:26 AM, ViscerothSWG said:

Time out. 

on all of my stuff there are ship codes on the inner punch circle on the front of each dial piece, and also printed on the back side of the pieces themselves like normal.  It's not possible to lose the inner punch out and not know what kind of dial it is.

On 8/10/2018 at 3:33 PM, Hawkstrike said:

"Wah, wah, wah, I went to GenCon and got conversion kits early and punching out the cardboard is so hard!"

Try not to rub your misfortune in the face of all of us who don't get to get stuff a month early.

Give us an update on how you feel on Sept 17th.