DelGriffen

Flaw in 2.0 concept

First I have nothing against 2.0. It looks like a well designed game and I think the conversion price is fair. 

My concern is not even remotely immediate, it’s at least 5 years down the road. What happens to 2.0 when FFG loses the license? Without the App it will be almost unplayable. 

1 minute ago, DelGriffen said:

First I have nothing against 2.0. It looks like a well designed game and I think the conversion price is fair. 

My concern is not even remotely immediate, it’s at least 5 years down the road. What happens to 2.0 when FFG loses the license? Without the App it will be almost unplayable. 

The “final” PDFs will be saved some where and those who want to can carry on. Also, we already have some fan made squad builders. 

The loss of the official app might be unfortunate, but it will hardly make the game unplayable.

1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

third party squadron builders

Which may crumble to dust just as soon as the game is dead.

Many non-converters are in a panic over maintaining 1.0 materials.

And unlike most, I think the current PDF presentation is lame.  Half in the info is on the card; half in the PDF.

The only place you get all the info at once is the app.  The PDF, as the alternative to the app, also needs ALL the info.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Also, with X-Wing and Armada being in the top tabletop games, at least they were last I checked, add in Legion and Destiny I think Disney and LFL are making a fair amount of money through the licensing deal with FFG, of course if we see sales beginning to dip and the like then that becomes more of a threat. 

1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

The only place you get all the info at once is the app.  The PDF, as the alternative to the app, also needs ALL the info.

We have confirmation of this? 

Are we a 100% that the app will display the card text, making it possible to play without cards at all? 

1 minute ago, Forgottenlore said:

I certainly don’t expect that. 

Me neither. I don't think there will be a place with all the information. What we have seen from the App, it displays costs and name. 

Although, making it like that would be a serious d˘ck  move. There is simply no reason not to include it... If you wanna milk us hard, just make the cards mandatory on tournaments. No need to make listbuilding 100% more difficult. 

I mean... I just like to build lists on the train while I'm travelling. I really hope I don't need 2 separate things for that. 

But I better shutup, since I'm ruining the forums. 

9 minutes ago, Commander Kaine said:

We have confirmation of this? 

Are we a 100% that the app will display the card text, making it possible to play without cards at all? 

No.

6 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

I certainly don’t expect that. 

Well, I did.  That's how most builders work right now.  And it is specifically how I use them.

Not being able to print a table-ready list would be a deal killer for me.

I don't care that I preordered.  I would drop 2.0 like a radioactive potato. 

Edited by Darth Meanie

And unlike most, I think the current PDF presentation is lame.  Half in the info is on the card; half in the PDF.

I think that's just so they can more easily handle issues with card errata for now. I have a great deal of confidence that if FFG ever lost the license, they would do a final PDF of all the card text in its final state and post it.

3 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

No.

Well, I did.  That's how most builders work right now.  And it is specifically how I use them.

Not being able to print a table-ready list would be a deal killer for me.

I don't care that I preordered.  I would drop 2.0 like a radioactive potato. 

I suppose third party builders will be able to fill the market niche FFG engineers for itself. 

Everybody uses YASB now anyway. I guess I can YASB 2.0 in the future. 

You already have the cards, presumably.  Between the cards and the PDF, you therefore have all the information.  Why waste ink duplicating information you already have on the cards?

6 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

You already have the cards, presumably.  Between the cards and the PDF, you therefore have all the information.  Why waste ink duplicating information you already have on the cards?

Because playing the game isn't supposed to be a chore. 

Also, there is no ink wasted on an app. 

I'm not sure if this was  a sarcastic comment or not

7 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Well, let's take that a step further.   It's a miniatures game.  Why are there cards in the first place?

1 minute ago, Commander Kaine said:

Because playing the game isn't supposed to be a chore. 

Also, there is no ink wasted on an app. 

I'm not sure if this was  a sarcastic comment or not

He was talking about the information on the PDFs being incomplete, and I for one intend to print out the PDFs if I know I won't have access to the app.  Therefore, yes, ink is a concern.

3 hours ago, DelGriffen said:

Whoa, ahah. Okay, I don't want to laugh but...

Do you actually think that with the resounding, growing, almost never failing success that is X-Wing Miniatures, that FFG would EVER lose the license!?

My answer to this is that FFG isn't required to support a game they aren't making products for anymore, and by the time 2.0 ends, there won't be that many people left caring about this anyway. Take for example how low the number is of people who will still be playing 1.0 even a month or so from now. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Do you actually think that with the resounding, growing, almost never failing success that is X-Wing Miniatures, that FFG would EVER lose the license!?

Well... EA is not doing well, and they are NOT losing the license. Business does not always make sense. 

9 hours ago, JJ48 said:

Because there is information on the cards that isn't on the miniatures?  Where are you going with this?

So, I have this great idea for Dictionary 2.0.  The words are in one book, and the definitions are in a PDF.  All you have to do is cross reference the page numbers.

It will make it super easy to adjust usage as the language changes in the PDF, and when you are only worried about correct spelling, you don't even need the PDF.

Want one?

Edited by Darth Meanie

1 minute ago, Darth Meanie said:

So, I have this create idea for Dictionary 2.0.  The words are in one book, and the definitions are in another.  All you have to do is cross reference the page numbers. 

Want one?

What does that have to do with my response to your previous post?  Are you likening your Dictionary 2.0 concept to separating cards from miniatures?  Does this mean you're against the concept of miniatures games altogether?  Or was your previous question an utter non-sequitur?

4 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

So, I have this create idea for Dictionary 2.0.  The words are in one book, and the definitions are in another.  All you have to do is cross reference the page numbers.

It will make it super easy to adjust usage as the language changes.

Want one?

but all the erratas that happened in 1.0 make this comparison pedestrian and pointless

because we had to use the FAQs anyway

29 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Well, yes. Eventually. They are t going to keep the license until, or beyond, the heat death of the universe. 

Dont think they are going to loose it anytime soon, but it is entirely possible that Disney will gradually increase the cost of the license until it isn’t worth it for them to keep it anymore. They have done that before, though not recently, I think they are currently smarter than that, but that too can change.