LTuser

Other "Sci-fi" shows, you;d love to see get the X-wing treatment?

Not a TV series, but the Freespace series of games. It nearly happened via Kickstarter, but they didn't have the money in the end, which suggest a it probably wouldn't be popular enough to be viable as an actual game. But it'd be great - three species, plenty of fighters for each one, different missiles and primary weapons for upgrade cards, plenty of ways to differentiate ships (stats and dials like X Wing, but also weapons compatibility, arc width and secondary capacity). 

I'd do it on a sliding scale, so you could put fighters on small bases, bombers on a medium bases, cruisers and corvettes on large bases and bigger capships on epic bases. Add in mechanisms for ETS, countermeasures, afterburners, better secondary integration, and capships with a full weapons suite, and you'd have a potentially complicated, but awesome, game.

One downside would be a lack of characters for put cards, but if it were built with that in mind, it would be fine. You could use squadrons instead - on the right kind of ship, you assign a squadron card that gives it special abilities. So, you could have your first ship, and as long as it's a Hercules, Hercules Mk 2 or Ares class, you could assign it the 107th Ravens squadron. And the more Ravens you have in your squad, the better their abilities.

One thing that would be better even than Star Wars would be the potential for time (and tech) to meaningfully move forward, rather than be essentially stagnant as it is in the SW universe. Power creep would happen, but that would be thematic as tech got better, and if it was designed properly from day 1, you could release ships in order and make the creep systematic.

Maybe this was a bad idea. I'm finding myself pining for a game that'll never get made. :P

6 hours ago, Ravenhull said:

Take things back into the atmosphere, I think they could do Crimson Skies well with this general rule set. Lots of fantastical aircraft and weapons. They tried a heroclix style a few years back. 

Definitely. The click base version of crimson skies was essentially a proto flight path system already. 

1 hour ago, LTuser said:

Ohh nice..  BUT i hope they don't get seth rogan in it.. I've never really liked him as an actor..  Stand up comic, yes he's funny.  BUT acting?  Bleh.

My hope it will be less of a full reboot, but a sequel - Like the Last Starfighter Academy or something like that.   If you can get the original cast where you can, it could be awesome.

19 hours ago, Forgottenlore said:

Not certain. They tended to churn and burn their games, release a new game and stop supporting the previous one, and that may have become unsustainable. Or possibly a licensed property didn’t generate as much return as they were hoping. I always found their games fairly similar, but a lot of people seemed to like them. Their models tended to be pretty high quality and they had some interesting universes. So I really don’t know why they went under. 

Spartan went under for a few reasons, but design ADD was a big one - they stopped supporting old games, so people stopped buying stuff. Halo licence being expensive (and the same ADD carrying over there - Halo ground combat was being worked on before Halo space combat was out the door). Microsoft took back the Halo licence, and all the moulds were destroyed, so it looks like no new Halo minis game for a long time, if ever.

The stripped down version of Star Fleet Battles is Federation Commander, and it's great.

But back on topic....
One big drawback from most movies (and even TV shows) for an X-wing style game is that they simply don't have many ships.
BSG has 2 human fighter types (one of which dies at the flick of a cylon EW switch), and one support type. The Cylons have 1 fighter type and maybe 1 support type (it's been a while since I watched it).
I've never watched Babylon 5 (something I intend to correct...), but I gather it has more types.
I agree that computer game universes, like Wing Commander, might do better, but they don't have the instant recognition factor (the same goes for FFG's Twilight Imperium universe).

7 minutes ago, FlyingToaster said:

Spartan went under for a few reasons, but design ADD was a big one - they stopped supporting old games, so people stopped buying stuff. Halo licence being expensive (and the same ADD carrying over there - Halo ground combat was being worked on before Halo space combat was out the door). Microsoft took back the Halo licence, and all the moulds were destroyed, so it looks like no new Halo minis game for a long time, if ever.

The stripped down version of Star Fleet Battles is Federation Commander, and it's great.

But back on topic....
One big drawback from most movies (and even TV shows) for an X-wing style game is that they simply don't have many ships.
BSG has 2 human fighter types (one of which dies at the flick of a cylon EW switch), and one support type. The Cylons have 1 fighter type and maybe 1 support type (it's been a while since I watched it).
I've never watched Babylon 5 (something I intend to correct...), but I gather it has more types.
I agree that computer game universes, like Wing Commander, might do better, but they don't have the instant recognition factor (the same goes for FFG's Twilight Imperium universe).

X-Wing scale: Babylon 5 has 2 or 3 for Earth. Minbari, Narn and Centari have 1 maybe 2 each. The other factions (7 or 8 of them) might have a total 2 or 3 between them. So not many options.

Armada scale: Earth has 5 - 6 designs. Minbari have 1. Centari have 2 mabye 3. Narn have 2. Most of the rest have 1 each.

Though this is only what I remember from on screen. There could be more.

Edited by Hiemfire

7 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Armada scale: Earth has 5 - 6 designs. Minbari have 1. Centari have 2 mabye 3. Narn have 2. Most of the rest have 1 each.

Minbari had 2 capital ship designs, there was a different one in war without end, though they looked fairly similar. 

6 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

Minbari had 2 capital ship designs, there was a different one in war without end, though they looked fairly similar. 

As I said, could be more. I think the lack of variety came from trying to keep the budget down.

Well, I guess the avatar gives away my favourite. Watching @Crabbok's video only made the itch worse. 

There are a lot of great IP's to convert into some X-Wing-like game, though I fear most universes suffer a bit from the " 2 factions only" desease, as most militaristic Sci-Fi franchises focus on this kind of conflict, BSG included. Of course, X-Wing's very own addition of a scum-like faction can fix the variety problem quite a bit. 

Though I would love B5, but I the factions might be a little hard to do.  As others have said there is not a lot of ship diversity for most of the races.  I do think you could maybe just make up a few ships of similar design to known ships and end up with a frigate, cruiser and destroyer as well as two fighters and a transport for Earth, Minbari, Centauri and Narn.  Then you could throw the rest of The League of Non-Aligned Worlds into a faction.  Finally, you could do a Shadow faction that could include some of their dark allies that were shown in a few later episodes as well as the 'spider' ships and fighters we saw.  

4 minutes ago, pickirk01 said:

Though I would love B5, but I the factions might be a little hard to do.  As others have said there is not a lot of ship diversity for most of the races.  I do think you could maybe just make up a few ships of similar design to known ships and end up with a frigate, cruiser and destroyer as well as two fighters and a transport for Earth, Minbari, Centauri and Narn.  Then you could throw the rest of The League of Non-Aligned Worlds into a faction.  Finally, you could do a Shadow faction that could include some of their dark allies that were shown in a few later episodes as well as the 'spider' ships and fighters we saw.  

The Shadows had a stinking spider ship in about every chassis size imaginable minus their planet killer which was basically an enormous floating web covered in haze.

23 hours ago, pickirk01 said:

Not a sifi series but anyone remember the game Star Control?

Yes!  StarCon 2 is the best game ever made and anyone that has played it will agree with me I'm sure.

Sorry I didn't read through the whole thread before posting tho :P

2 hours ago, pickirk01 said:
  • B  ackward
  • U  tilizing
  • T  racking
  • T  orpedoes

'Nough said.

exactly.

And having the Pkunk respawn could either be totally awesome or the most frustrating thing ever if used against you.

Plus the Orz already have the rotate firing arc mechanic!

On 8/10/2018 at 11:13 PM, That Blasted Samophlange said:

*JUMPING PEPPERS* we are *HAPPY CAMPERS*

Stardock are doing a new game with the same name and similar feel and mechanics, but not the story.

Stardock are trying to sue the original creators of the game out of existence, in order to basically steal the entire IP. 

It's, ah... quite bad. 

On 8/11/2018 at 7:16 AM, Ravenhull said:

Take things back into the atmosphere, I think they could do Crimson Skies well with this general rule set. Lots of fantastical aircraft and weapons. They tried a heroclix style a few years back. 

I loved Crimson Skies.  Played a bunch with college friends.  One kept flying the Defender.  I love his description of it: it's a great plane until anyone shoots at you.  Namely, my ace pilot who had double column-shifting so he had a pretty good chance to just put a hole clean through wing.  So many great memories.  But it'd take like 4 hours for a single game.

Right now, however, X-Wing is the reason I expect I'll never play another CS game ever again.

It'd be fun to try to homebrew some rules for CS, however.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:17 PM, pickirk01 said:

Just like Star Wars, Babylon 5 had its own EU with a massive number of ship and fighter classes. A quick count of my Babylon 5 Wars stuff shows 6 fighter types and several shuttle sized support craft for humans alone. It FF were to acquire the license (doubtful) there are a wealth of ships to use and I for one would buy all of them.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:38 AM, MacchuWA said:

Not a TV series, but the Freespace series of games. It nearly happened via Kickstarter, but they didn't have the money in the end, which suggest a it probably wouldn't be popular enough to be viable as an actual game. But it'd be great - three species, plenty of fighters for each one, different missiles and primary weapons for upgrade cards, plenty of ways to differentiate ships (stats and dials like X Wing, but also weapons compatibility, arc width and secondary capacity). 

I'd do it on a sliding scale, so you could put fighters on small bases, bombers on a medium bases, cruisers and corvettes on large bases and bigger capships on epic bases. Add in mechanisms for ETS, countermeasures, afterburners, better secondary integration, and capships with a full weapons suite, and you'd have a potentially complicated, but awesome, game.

One downside would be a lack of characters for put cards, but if it were built with that in mind, it would be fine. You could use squadrons instead - on the right kind of ship, you assign a squadron card that gives it special abilities. So, you could have your first ship, and as long as it's a Hercules, Hercules Mk 2 or Ares class, you could assign it the 107th Ravens squadron. And the more Ravens you have in your squad, the better their abilities.

One thing that would be better even than Star Wars would be the potential for time (and tech) to meaningfully move forward, rather than be essentially stagnant as it is in the SW universe. Power creep would happen, but that would be thematic as tech got better, and if it was designed properly from day 1, you could release ships in order and make the creep systematic.

Maybe this was a bad idea. I'm finding myself pining for a game that'll never get made. :P

Freespace would also be acceptable.