LTuser

Other "Sci-fi" shows, you;d love to see get the X-wing treatment?

3 hours ago, Porkchop Express said:

For the scale of the Star Trek ships I agree. Attack Wing doesn't work because it is a rip off of a dog fighting game

Attack Wing doesn’t work because WizKids are terrible at game design and actively strive for power creep. 

With people that knew what they were doing, I think a decent capital ship game could be built on the flight path system, but it would require more work than just the reskin WKs did. 

1 hour ago, BojambaMcMamba said:

If you think HotAC mixed with the Star Trek DS9/Dominion war sounds like a good idea (I do), then start tuned.  I got a sneak peak at GenCon.

Huh? I didn’t see anything noteworthy re: Star Trek at GenCon. Of what speakers thou?

3 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

Yeah, I thought of Voltron too, but the version where there were like a dozen little vehicles that made up the big robo.

I never looked into it, but why were they both (Lion version & Vehicle version) called Voltron? I just vaguely remember watching it as a little kid.

They were both Voltron in America but based on 2 completely unrelated series, Lion Voltron was mostly based on Beast King Go Lion while vehicle Voltron was based on Armored Fleet Dairugger XV, they did the same with Robotech which was based on 3 completely unrelated anime series, Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada.

It was common practice in the 80's, macron 1 and Captain Harlock were also cobbled together from different anime series

I long to see FarScape get some love, (FarScape > Battlestar. There, I said it. And I will be bitter until the day I die that SciFi cancelled FS for it) unfortunately there's just not enough variety of ships to do it with. We have the Peacekeeper Prowler and a Scarran fighter, but not much else at fighter scales.

I think Star Trek could definitely still work using the same system X-Wing has (I've never played Attack Wing so I don't have a bias from that). But where most ships in X-Wing are small bases with a single forward firing arc, most ships in a good Star Trek game would be large or medium bases with multiple firing arcs and few slow maneuvers. Imagine a match where almost every ship flies like the Shadow Caster or 2E Millennium Falcon. And given the scale of engagements we generally see in Star Trek, I would have it be only just barely possible to include more than one or two ships in a list; just Enterprise versus two Klingon Birds of Prey feels like the right size for the scale of the game.

On 8/10/2018 at 11:00 AM, Punning Pundit said:

I want to see B5 get the Armada treatment, as I think it has a much deeper store of capships than fighters. 

This is what I'd been thinking also.  Those gorgeous Minbari cruisers :D

The problem with the IP for this kind of game is that the factions were a bit unbalanced.  Minbari were more advanced...but I guess just making their ships more expensive would solve it.  Human, Minbari, Narn, Centauri could all be factions?

Little starfury squadrons would be so great!

I keep browsing this stuff on Shapeways because it's so pretty...
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/jimmys?section=b5&s=0

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/foz?section=Babylon+5&s=0

I would like to see Halo get the treatment, although the Armada system would definitely work better, although you could make a limited X-wing style game, they have enough for at least 3 ships per faction. 

I realize one came out, but I haven’t heard from it since, which usually means no one liked it and it’s dead...

13 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

I realize one came out, but I haven’t heard from it since, which usually means no one liked it and it’s dead...

It was produced by spartan games, which went out of business shortly after. Their unique properties were picked up by someone else, but I don’t think that included the halo license. 

3 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

It was produced by spartan games, which went out of business shortly after. Their unique properties were picked up by someone else, but I don’t think that included the halo license. 

Agreed, the license Probably did not carry over. Any particular  reason why spartan games went under?

Edited by FlyingAnchors

1 minute ago, FlyingAnchors said:

Agreed, the license Probably did not carry over. Any particular  reason why spartan games went under?

Not certain. They tended to churn and burn their games, release a new game and stop supporting the previous one, and that may have become unsustainable. Or possibly a licensed property didn’t generate as much return as they were hoping. I always found their games fairly similar, but a lot of people seemed to like them. Their models tended to be pretty high quality and they had some interesting universes. So I really don’t know why they went under. 

17 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

The Last Starfighter would be my choice.  But it is always my choice.   

I just did a re-watch of the film 2 days ago, still holds up nicely, even though i REALLY wish they'd do a remake, to bring its graphics up to modern day standards..

11 minutes ago, LTuser said:

I just did a re-watch of the film 2 days ago, still holds up nicely, even though i REALLY wish they'd do a remake, to bring its graphics up to modern day standards..

Theoretically they are. There was some pre-production concept art floating around a while ago. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/a-last-starfighter-remake-is-in-the-works-1.3872717

Edited by Forgottenlore

45 minutes ago, LTuser said:

You might want to read this:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/rogue-ones-gary-whitta-tells-us-his-plans-for-a-last-st-1824988120

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange