Jump to content
LTuser

Other "Sci-fi" shows, you;d love to see get the X-wing treatment?

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Nspace said:

Babylon 5. There was one from back in 1999, but it seems that you can't find it in stores anymore.

I've thought about Starfury mechanics in X-Wing a bunch.

Probably a 2/2/4 statline or such.  Probably the TIE Fighter actions of Focus/Evade/Barrel Roll.  Not much crit resistance on one of those.  They'd have a 1-straight reverse, some pair of Segnor's Loops, and a K-Turn--all red, so the dial would be mostly like the Quadjumper's dial.  However, after performing one of those moves, you'd be able to flip your configuration card from "Directional Thrusters (Maximum Burn)" to "Directional Thrusters (Reverse)" and it would change your reverse maneuver blue/green, until you execute a maneuver which isn't a 1-straight reverse, or until you perform a boost or barrel roll.  Doing that would flip you back to Maximum Burn.  That reverse momentum will keep you going, until you change your direction.  I think that'd be a fun design, and it'd feel different from TIEs and Z-95s as a cheap swarm ship.

Also, Alyt Neroon in a Niall would obviously be the best ace in the game. :D

2 hours ago, SabineKey said:

I’ll throw my support in with Babylon 5. Fun series, though I wonder if a scale like Armada wouldn’t serve it better.

This.  As much as I want Neroon to zip around like Soontir Fel, I'd rather have Sharlins match up against Shadow Crabs.

Edited by theBitterFig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Punning Pundit said:

I want to see B5 get the Armada treatment, as I think it has a much deeper store of capships than fighters. 

Definitely. I believe

2 earth fighters and 1 for each of the other major races, with some implications for others. Not sure we ever saw any fighters for any league worlds, just caps

then there is the problem of the Vorlons, able to wipe a Fleet with a single, 1 being ship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

Definitely. I believe

2 earth fighters and 1 for each of the other major races, with some implications for others. Not sure we ever saw any fighters for any league worlds, just caps

then there is the problem of the Vorlons, able to wipe a Fleet with a single, 1 being ship. 

2 beings counting the ship itself. :) They were alive and fully self aware.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

2 beings counting the ship itself. :) They were alive and fully self aware.

At one point I had the thought that the ship itself was actually Kosh, and the encounter suit just a remote drone to facilitate interacting with humanoids. Didn’t really jive with the pilot episode, but they could have made it work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Though it'd serve Armada better, Babylon 5 would be awesome.

None of the capital ships are utterly gigantic compared to a standard cruiser and its heavy fighter based.

Star Trek done proper would be a cross between Armada and Battletech imo. You only have 2 MAYBE 3 ships, but you have a lot of internal stuff to track/target and your object is to cripple them more than outright destroy.

Edited by Vineheart01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I thought of Voltron too, but the version where there were like a dozen little vehicles that made up the big robo.

I never looked into it, but why were they both (Lion version & Vehicle version) called Voltron? I just vaguely remember watching it as a little kid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you think HotAC mixed with the Star Trek DS9/Dominion war sounds like a good idea (I do), then start tuned.  I got a sneak peak at GenCon.

Also, I demoed BSG at the GenCon booth, and I give it a solid "meh".  I really wanted to like it, but it sort of fell flat for me.  No points costs on ships, mechanics that tried to capture "real physics" but failed, and an IP with what, 4 total fighter sized ships?  It's not looking like a winner to me.  They had a nice mat with BSG printed on one edge, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it will never happen because the Star Wars license is better than original content, but the Twilight Imperium universe is ripe for more tactical games.  I'd fly Naalu Collective, Mentak Coalition and Human fighters any day.  The FFG designers seem to have a grasp on cool ship design from the new TI edition's ships and the creative space for TI is HUGE.  Arborec with their plant-based tech, the Mindnet and Nekro Virus would provide the other end of the spectrum with crazytech.  The Yinn Brotherhood might have some of their own ships, but really they should use ships from nearly every faction.

 

Yeah, lotta cool stuff in there.  But it will never happen - at least not while FFG has a Star Wars license.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BojambaMcMamba said:

If you think HotAC mixed with the Star Trek DS9/Dominion war sounds like a good idea (I do), then start tuned.  I got a sneak peak at GenCon.

Also, I demoed BSG at the GenCon booth, and I give it a solid "meh".  I really wanted to like it, but it sort of fell flat for me.  No points costs on ships, mechanics that tried to capture "real physics" but failed, and an IP with what, 4 total fighter sized ships?  It's not looking like a winner to me.  They had a nice mat with BSG printed on one edge, though.

I am curious about the game myself - the things I read about it intrigue me - the fact that it is set up for more players instead of just 1vs1 is a plus (as Aturi was very popular with my 6-7 player group).  

The lack of fighters is both a boon and bane.   Makes it cheaper to get a whole collection, but less life.   Still; with both the old and new liscence, you have the original series viper and raider, the new series viper mk II, Mk VII shown, Raptors, Cylon Raiders and Heavy Raider plus, ersatz epic battlestars and basestar models?   Could work.   Time will tell.   

Just remembered there was a stealth viper in the new series - I think unarmed, but if scenario play is a thing, that could work.

Now while the above argues that the setting is viable ship wise, I can't argue mechanics.   

That is the crux of the game, and I do find it admirable that they are attempting to incorporate the physics from the show in game.   The drifting to fire sideways or behind is a tricky thing to do game wise.   To simple and it becomes a cheap gimmick, to difficult and people will struggle.   Hard to balance.  

 

I’m curious about the star trek/aturi thing you allude to.. any more to tell?

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Babylon 5 would be hard to pull off mechanically because a lot of the ships are designed for non-Newtonian flight. You'd either have to simply it down to normal X-Wing dog fighting or come up with a system for tracking both direction of travel and facing that wasn't insanely complicated. There's also a pretty limited amount of content for each faction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

Babylon 5 would be hard to pull off mechanically because a lot of the ships are designed for non-Newtonian flight. You'd either have to simply it down to normal X-Wing dog fighting or come up with a system for tracking both direction of travel and facing that wasn't insanely complicated. There's also a pretty limited amount of content for each faction.

I think you mean Newtonian, not non-Newtonian. Star Wars is non-Newtonian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Bad Idea Comics said:

I know it will never happen because the Star Wars license is better than original content, but the Twilight Imperium universe is ripe for more tactical games.  I'd fly Naalu Collective, Mentak Coalition and Human fighters any day.  The FFG designers seem to have a grasp on cool ship design from the new TI edition's ships and the creative space for TI is HUGE.  Arborec with their plant-based tech, the Mindnet and Nekro Virus would provide the other end of the spectrum with crazytech.  The Yinn Brotherhood might have some of their own ships, but really they should use ships from nearly every faction.

 

Yeah, lotta cool stuff in there.  But it will never happen - at least not while FFG has a Star Wars license.

I never played any of the mainline TI games, but would love a return of the old spinoff game, Circus Imperium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...