Sign in to follow this  
MythicalMino

triggering critical wounds?

In the faq, if I am reading correctly, 2 boons can trigger a weapon's critical damage. I understand that a sigmar's comet can also, but I cannot find in the rule book itself about the boons.

Also, what about a monster triggering critical damage? Is it still possible for a monster to use a sigmar's comet to cause critical damage? And if so, what would be the critical weapon rating?

Thanks

Chris

Weapons have a CR or Critical Rating. This number is the number of boons needed on a combat roll to trigger a critical. For example, a Hand Weapon has a CR of 3, so would require 3 boons to trigger a crit. In addition, many action cards have one or more results lines that can be used to cause critical wounds. In combat, a Sigmar's Comet can be used to automatically trigger a weapon's CR.

By default, monster damage value assumes they are using whatever default weapon is customary for them, but their stat line doesn't have a weapon CR.  They can still use Sigmar's Comet to trigger a crit since this happens regardless of what the actual CR is. They may have special abilities (actions) that with result in critical wounds being dealt. You just don't have the option to count up boons like characters do. Note that you can always swap out the presumed default weapon for any weapon you like. If you do so, you substitute the damage value of the weapon you've selected for the default damage value, but you now have a CR as well, opening that option for triggering a crit. For example, Beastman Ungors have a damage value of 4. If you arm them with spears however, they now have a DR of 5, with a CR of 2, making them a bit more deadly.

Lastly, triggering a crit with the Sigmar's Comet may not always be the best option. If there is a specific result line for it on the action card you are using, that may be a better use for it. Since it can also be counted as a success or boon, there may be another result line that is a better choice than the single crit as well. For example, the Wargor has the special ability Undying Ferocity that is used when it is killed. It contains the 3 success line that does +2 damage, critical damage. If your roll netted 2 successes and a Sigmar's Comet, you would be better off treating the Comet as a success rather than just using it to trigger a crit on its own.

I am all messed up then....I was thinking that the weapon's CR was the number of critical wounds for some reason. Don't ask me how I thought that...I have no idea how I made that leap of mis-knowledge.

Thanks for the answer...cleared up my thinking.

Chris