The game is fast approaching three-hundred encounter sets. How do you all store you encounter and quest cards? It would take quite a few artist cases from Broken Token, and those aren't inexpensive.

For those of you who store player cards in binders, what kind of and how many do you use?

I was hoping to keep my player cards in binders and my encounter cards in a case/deckbox, but is that possible with today's cardpool? How do you cope with a growing cardpool when you outgrow your storage solution?

I currently own everything released except for the nightmares and PODs. I'm also missing The Mountain of Fire because it's out of stock everywhere. I have everything sleeved in penny sleeves and all my player cards fit in one core box, divided into three rows. I have the encounter cards split amongst six 800 count BCW boxes; two cycles to a box. I have a smaller 400 count BCW box that I keep my current player and encounter decks in along with the trackers and tokens. That makes for fast setup and play.

I personally never saw the appeal of using binders. I've always thought those are more for games like MTG and collecting sports cards. I like to hold the cards in my hands when I'm building decks. Turning pages in a binder feels less like I'm playing the game and more like I'm collecting the game, if that makes sense...idk. To each their own. :)

Edited by stimpaksam
add pic

I have plastibands around quests (and also the deluxe encounter quests), and then have them piled next to each other in a game table drawer.  It makes the drawer really heavy, and I intend to move them all to card boxes at some point.

I have my player cards in binders -- I build my decks on ringsdb, so my binders are for storage and ease of access.  Currently I have them all in two binders, if I outgrow them I'll probably move to five binders, one for each sphere.  (Right now my smaller binder is leadership/lore and larger binder is spirit/tactics/neutral).  I don't sleeve, so have no issues with fitting all the matching cards in a single pocket.  One exception to my binder storage is the heroes, I keep them all together contained by yet another plastiband.  At any given time I also have plastibands around my current deck(s) and quest as well.  I keep tokens in five small square dishes from ikea (three for the cardboard tokens that come with the core sets, two for flat fishtank stones from the dollar store that I use to indicate ready (transparent green stones) and committed to the quest (transparent white stones) -- I find adding/removing stones more convenient (and less space requiring) than physically rotating cards.

While there's a ton of stuff, getting the stuff I need for a particular session is much easier than the other games I have that are outgrowing their storage (Legendary, Dominion, Dice Masters).  I generally use the same deck(s) against multiple quests, preferably a full cycle, and I replay quests when I lose, so that's a lot less work than finding all the kingdom cards for a Dominion game or getting all the random components out for Legendary.  And ringsdb makes it so easy to deckbuild that I have far more decks to try than I have time to play.

This was recently discussed over at BGG. Be sure to check it out.  As for me, I have my player cards in these 4-pocket colored binders. 3 unsleeved cards per pocket. There is also a black binder for heroes. I like these binders because they're small and easy to flip through. Though, the pockets in these binders may be completely full after this upcoming cycle. When deck building, i usualy grab all of the cards that seem to fit my idea, and then organize and reduce from there. So the binder aspect doesn't bother me. I prefer being able to easily see the cards.

I also made a few exact-sized tuckboxes for some of the encounter sets. This box in the pic contains the Khazad Dum quests and is about 1.5" thick. The Core+Mirkwood cycle is in a sideways tuckbox and is about 3.5" thick. Tuck boxes are nice because they're portable and don't take up much space when I leave them out. But I'm considering just storing each deluxe+cycle in the deluxe box.

pic4199982.jpg

DSC_1614.JPG

I've also gone color coded binders for player cards.  Binders are then organized by card type (Hero, Ally, Attachment, Event) and then alphabetically.  Encounter cards are stored in a Hobby Lobby case with the BT insert (vertical).  I have each deluxe + cycle stored in a section (rather than a division for each encounter set), but am still out of room now (with the Sagas and most of the PODs in the case).

I am pretty happy with the binders for player cards and the binders are big enough to keep accommodating cards for a fair while yet.  I'll need a new solution for encounter cards soon though....I kinda like the idea that Orcstalker showed above with each cycle in a box...could decorate the ends nicely...hmmm.

13 hours ago, CDavis7M said:

But I'm considering just storing each deluxe+cycle in the deluxe box.

I was really hoping to do this, but ran into space problems. How would you fit them in?

16 minutes ago, Trialus said:

Encounter cards are stored in a Hobby Lobby case with the BT insert (vertical).

What exactly is this case called? I can't find it on Hobbly Lobby's webstore.

What do you guys think about keeping player cards in Ultra Pro nine-pocket binders, one card to a pocket, one binder for each sphere. Would that fit?

Also, what do you think about FFG's clear sleeves versus Ultra Pro premiums, or should I just go with their LotR art sleeves?

16 hours ago, stimpaksam said:

I personally never saw the appeal of using binders. I've always thought those are more for games like MTG and collecting sports cards. I like to hold the cards in my hands when I'm building decks. Turning pages in a binder feels less like I'm playing the game and more like I'm collecting the game, if that makes sense...idk. To each their own.

I just love looking through and seeing all that glorious art. Plus, it feels clunky flipping through stacked cards in a case. It also makes it easier to find any particular card. Those are the main reasons I prefer them.

I use BCW Side Loading 18-Pocket Pages (9 pockets on each side) for the player cards. Pages can be purchased in different colors too for fun. All my player cards are in clear FFG sleeves. I don't sleeve encounter cards. Building decks from RingsDB is nice and binders make the cards very easy to locate -- plus as you said, nice to look through and ponder new strategies/combos.

You can fit  3 sleeved cards snugly in each pocket -- but I put two on each side of the page (front and back) to make them a little easier to remove. I put them in 5 colored binders alphabetized by card type - like others describe above. All announced player cards should (just barely now) fit on 20 pages per color and 10 pages of generics.

BCW Gaming Card Sleeves

Note: Make sure you use side loader page pockets. Top loaders will spill cards out of your binder if you're not careful.

I still haven't found a good way to store the encounter decks but working on some solutions.

Guess I should have said that I use the BCW "hotels" for the encounter sets only as all nine quests and the encounter decks for each cycle fit nicely in one 800-count box. Player cards are kept by their traits in UltraPro premium binders in various colors. Works out great!