xerpo

Not too excited about Chewie

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 7:05 PM, xerpo said:

So, looking and looking again up to the Chewie stats card I saw that terrible white defense dice. Any rebel player who has run an AT-RT a couple of times knows what that means, they last one or two blows depending on what hits them, now im terrified about Chewie because unlike the AT-RT, he does not have armor. So he will save with natural sixes from every hit, it doesen`t matter his life he will go down crazy fast.

I made a very simple comparison in a melee combat, where Chewie si supposed to excel, between Chewie and a single stormtrooper unit with 6 soldiers. Bare in mind how expensive Chewie is in comparison with that unit.

Chewie:                                     
4 red dice means 3,5 wounds per blow with a 87,5% chances to hit and an offensive surge. From wich the ST unit will take 1,75 wounds in that attack due to their 50% red dice save.

Chewie will do 1,75 wounds to a STunit, not very impressive.

STunit:
6 black dice means 3,75 wounds per blow with a 62,5% chances to hit and an offensive surge. From wich Chewie will take 3,121 wounds in that attack due to his 16,6% white dice save.

STunit will do 3,121 wounds to Chewie. Quite impressive.

The above is true for the first round of combat. but unless the troopers try to disengage, which will be an unwise choice, they are going to loose on the long run. Because Chewbacca damage output increases, while their damage output decreases. 

Let's say after first round of melee (supposing either chewbacca or the stormtroopers have not activated before being engaged so both units make an attac in that turn). chewbacca has 6 wounds left, stormtroopers  have lost 2 men so there are 4 left. 

second round of combat: again both unit get to make an attack. Chewbacca  has tenacity kicking in so if he goes first now he makes  makes 2.5 wounds (including aim token and saves) let's round down to 2.. the two remaining troopers make 1.4 wounds  to chewie (including rerolls for aim token); let's round up to 2.  So now we have chewbacca with 4 wounds left and 2 troopers remaining.

third round: Chewbe still makes 2,5 wounds  killing all stormtroopers. Or the stormtroopers go first this turn, so they make 1 wound to chewbe ans still get defeated by the wookie. 

All the above if we consider that neither chewbe nor the stormies have taken wounds before getting in melee which is quite improbable...

53 minutes ago, Turan said:

Then you're already sunk. Every other Star Wars game FFG has made includes non-canon timeline elements and units, so you might want to start mentally working on getting over it, or stop following the game ?

I admittedly don't follow any of the new "lore" because everything I've looked at beyond the comics seems like it was written by 10-year olds...but where does this come from? One of the major battles shown in Episode III was on Kashyyyk, where the Wookiees were shown to be friendly with Yoda, so what has been added to the timeline afterward to show the Rebellion not caring about them?

It comes from a line in Rebels combined with Aftermath Life Debt.  After the Ghost crew rescue the Wookie Slaves from Kessel one of the Wookies says that if you ever need help they would be there for the rebels.  The Wookies then disappear from the series.  In Life Debt, Chewie gets captured and is being held on Kashyyyk.  Han plans to go rescue him with the characters from the aftermath series.  Leia approaches Mon Mothma, who is now the leader of the New Republic, and asks for help.  Mon refuses to help and forbids Leia from going because it might upset the peace talks.  Ackbar, Wedge, and Leia go anyway and make a comment about a mutiny to show up.

As I said in my first post, how I interpreted these events is:

In Episode III the Wookies were fighting the Separatist on Kashyyyk with Yoda and the clones.  Order 66 comes down and the Clones attempt and fail to kill Yoda.

This next part is speculation on my part:

The Droids get shut down and the clones turn on the Wookies and enslave them.  Some Wookies escape/hide.  These Wookies fight a guerrilla campaign on Kashyyyk to help free their planet.  They occasionally go off planet to gain help from anyone willing to offer.

When a group of Wookies is rescued by the crew of the Ghost, they offer to help the rebels in an attempt to bring in allies to help free Kashyyyk.  When the Rebels don't ask for help they continue to attempt to free Kashyyyk.  Fast forward to Aftermath, The New Republic, made up of Rebel Alliance leadership is indifferent to the planet Kashyyyk.

I guess that the Wookies could have joined up after Leia and Ackbar liberate Kashyyyk.

2 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

Assuming I skimmed all the old math right, taking 6 black dice down to one black die would reduce the 3 point something wounds caused by the troopers to 1/6th of that. The trooper will roll less than one wound on the multi-wound Chewbacca, while Chewie will still inflict several on the trooper who can only take a single hit. Yep he will defeat a single trooper.

Someone's excitement (or lack thereof) about a release being stats-based is baffling to me. Like the people who would always get excited when GW announced that their codex was being re-released because it meant it was their turn to get the newest (and therefore under-priced/over-powered) list. To me it just meant being on the hook for $50 I didn't feel like spending.

Fair point about GW.  I'm hoping we avoid that here.

Vader should be the single most powerful melee unit we ever see in the game with Luke being a close second.  I guess Yoda if he comes out in the clones wars would rival Vader.

Before anyone says Palps I understand hes more powerful than Vader but not in melee.  

1v1 in a vacuum Vader should always win.

How did I make this into a Vader conversation?  

Back to Chewie.  A wounded Chewie becomes a different story because of Rage.  A wounded Chewie should start seeing an uptick in his melee kills.  Its situational but he should be able to gut a bunch of stormies before dropping like the beautiful rug he is.

6 hours ago, xerpo said:

Armada forums is filled with people like you, you should go around there some times youll feel just like home.

The legion forum seems to get someone like you about once a month. I can't even tell you how many of these "I'm not excited about x" threads have been started here. They all accomplish a whole lot of nothing.  

7 hours ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

The legion forum seems to get someone like you about once a month. I can't even tell you how many of these "I'm not excited about x" threads have been started here. They all accomplish a whole lot of nothing.  

Well at least I started a healthy discussion around here. A discussion you just enriched with "a lot whole of nothing" usefull at all, thanks for comming around.

45 minutes ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

Chewbacca is a beloved character to us, but in universe he is still just a Wookiee.  It would be pretty lame if he rivaled Vader or a Jedi character in melee.

Giving him a pierce 1 or extra survibability with a defense surge, wich im still surprised he didn't get it at fisrt place, does not pair him with luke or vader at all.

9 hours ago, jcmonson said:

This next part is speculation on my part:

Huh...well, it's all fiction, so whatever you want to do is fine for you. But it's a lot of speculation and extrapolation on your part to then form an opinion that's strong enough to think Wookiee units are inappropriate for the game setting. Doesn't seem well-supported to me based on one episode of a series whose writers don't seem to care about a cohesive timeline nearly as much as you do. I suppose if you want to let it bother you, you will ?

27 minutes ago, Turan said:

Huh...well, it's all fiction, so whatever you want to do is fine for you. But it's a lot of speculation and extrapolation on your part to then form an opinion that's strong enough to think Wookiee units are inappropriate for the game setting. Doesn't seem well-supported to me based on one episode of a series whose writers don't seem to care about a cohesive timeline nearly as much as you do. I suppose if you want to let it bother you, you will ?

Oh I definitely don't think they are inappropriate for the game at all.  They definitely have a place, I just don't think it belongs with the Alliance, that's all.  They 100% belong in the Clone Wars, and they also belong in the GCW, I would have just put them in a scum faction rather than Rebels.

5 hours ago, xerpo said:

Well at least I started a healthy discussion around here. A discussion you just enriched with "a lot whole of nothing" usefull at all, thanks for comming around.

Well I was just trying to be funny until you got your undies all twisted. Since you can't seem to read through my humor I will restate my legitimate opinion on the op.  I think that chewie is just fine as designed and will simply require some strategy.   He is not a head on battering ram, he is a finishing move.  There.  Do you get what i was trying to say?  Now please quit telling me to **** off.

Regardless of the "math" and the "strategy" required to play Chewbacca, here is one basic fact: No one is REQUIRED to play him. You don't like him, don't use him. You want to use him, then figure out a way to make him viable for hopefully six rounds.

My biggest takeaway from both FFG articles are that these Wookies have got to be the best looking Legion miniatures by far. They beat the pin headed Wookies we got for IA hands down. I will enjoy painting these up even if they never make it on the table. Honestly if for no other reason I might just pick them up to replace my IA Wookie Warriors.

Edited by C3POFETT