xerpo

Not too excited about Chewie

1 hour ago, crx3800 said:

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Wookies were fighting for the freedom of their homeworld from the "end" of the Clone Wars and through the GCW. These guys never really got a break. With the tendency to be used as slave labor, they always have a reason to fight. Just because they weren't on screen doesnt mean they weren't fighting. 

We had squads of wookies in the rebel army list in D6. There were no prequels then, virtually everything was firmly set in the GCW period, and we had wookies in both the RPG and the miniatures game.

If some Johnny Come Lately wants to retcon that away, I don't need their version of Star Wars thank you very much. Stuff'll get retconned again before you know it. Who knows what some suits will add or subtract down the road? I don't believe in keeping up with that treadmill, I'll put Wookie Warriors in my rebel army.

Edited by TauntaunScout

4 hours ago, BigBadAndy said:

I really don’t understand either of these complaints.  I mean, just because we see Wookiee warriors in the prequels and only Chewbacca In the original trilogy doesn’t suddenly mean Wookiee ceased to exist prior to the galactic civil war...  If you prefer other aliens that’s fine, but I don’t think most people would rather have random aliens over Wookiee.

As far as the generic commander model looking like Gideon I think it’s a tip of the hat to IA.

Well I would have almost anticipated a squad of Ewoks with Chewbacca as his true moment of leadership as seen in the Original Trilogy was with a band of Ewoks on Endor. I know Lucas had originally intended the Battle of Endor to actually take place on the Wookie planet but we got what we got in RotJ. I figured they would have followed suit since we got RotJ Leia and RotJ Han. I don't question that wookies didn't exist or matter in the OT but Chewbacca was the only wookie on screen.

The Gideon point was that their is a wealth of officers and commanders in the Expanded Universe. I love IA, don't get me wrong (I have 2 complete sets) but we got alot of alien species in that game and so far we have gotten all human commanders almost all human squads. Alot of players want variety in their squads. A wealth of alien species was part of what made Star Wars so unique and in my opinion cool. 

My nephew is excited about Chewie and the wookies so I'll buy them for the rebel army I'm making.

I only play Imps, ever.  Same with x wing ... **** I was an Imp in SWG too.  I had an AT ST in my pocket and I wasn't afraid to show it.

I imagine I'll have the opportunity to kill lots of hairy scum and for that, I'm thankful.

5 hours ago, C3POFETT said:

The Gideon point was that their is a wealth of officers and commanders in the Expanded Universe. I love IA, don't get me wrong (I have 2 complete sets) but we got alot of alien species in that game and so far we have gotten all human commanders almost all human squads. Alot of players want variety in their squads. A wealth of alien species was part of what made Star Wars so unique and in my opinion cool. 

Whether or not the squads are all human depends on how you paint them (unless you swap in some 3rd party heads). There are a LOT of near human species whose most obvious differences are the color of their skin and hair. Pantorians (blue, "normal" eyes), Mirilan (green), Keshiri (purple), arguably Zabrak (helmet covering their spikes), Zeltron (pink), and Chiss (blue with red eyes, considered rare though). 

40 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Whether or not the squads are all human depends on how you paint them (unless you swap in some 3rd party heads). There are a LOT of near human species whose most obvious differences are the color of their skin and hair. Pantorians (blue, "normal" eyes), Mirilan (green), Keshiri (purple), arguably Zabrak (helmet covering their spikes), Zeltron (pink), and Chiss (blue with red eyes, considered rare though). 

I've painted all my duros different colors so far. I have no idea what species they are. It's just a convenient place in the squad to throw a bright color to differentiate them!

Humans apparently make up the vast bulk of the rebel infantry though. Cause it was cheaper back in the 70's to film it that way... but still.  I'd like to see a squad of all mon calamari and ewoks along with the squad of wookies. I was a bit annoyed that in IA, the mon calamari hero came in the Hoth set. C'mon. Mon Cals have constantly wet skin. They'd be in very poor health on Hoth unless they wore a space suit.

Also I want a big, force using, walking plant.

8 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

I've painted all my duros different colors so far. I have no idea what species they are. It's just a convenient place in the squad to throw a bright color to differentiate them!

Humans apparently make up the vast bulk of the rebel infantry though. Cause it was cheaper back in the 70's to film it that way... but still.  I'd like to see a squad of all mon calamari and ewoks along with the squad of wookies. I was a bit annoyed that in IA, the mon calamari hero came in the Hoth set. C'mon. Mon Cals have constantly wet skin. They'd be in very poor health on Hoth unless they wore a space suit.

Also I want a big, force using, walking plant.

I remember the "big, force using, walking plant" metal miniature from the WEG Star Wars RPG. I actually still have my entire collection that I painted years ago stored in the boxes the larger sets came in. 

I am actually using 7 WotC Mon Calamari Mercenaries to do head swaps for an entire squad. I am going to make my first attemp at using green stuff for the bulbus part of the arms. (I used to just use Testors contour putty) I already did one Mon Calamari and one Gran for my first core set.(heads only). 

I wonder when FFG will introduce Ewoks to their games. For IA most of the community thought an Endor box set was coming after Jabbas Realm but they traveled to Coruscant and now we get Lothal coming in a couple weeks. Maybe that will be their "Swan Song" for IA when they feel it has run its course.

23 hours ago, jocke01 said:

Sure he has bad defence, but he can talar a bunch then activate charge and go bananas on some troopers to avoid being shot.

The point is that chewie is way less effective in melee than regular storm troopers.

34 minutes ago, xerpo said:

The point is that chewie is way less effective in melee than regular storm troopers.

No he's not, considering that he's probably sitting on tokens due to Teamwork/Command Cards AND he's already smacked the Stormtroopers with a bunch of red dice  before they've gotten a chance to swing.

43 minutes ago, arnoldrew said:

No he's not, considering that he's probably sitting on tokens due to Teamwork/Command Cards AND he's already smacked the Stormtroopers with a bunch of red dice  before they've gotten a chance to swing.

If you cared to read the original post, even if chewie striked first, wich is likely to happen, he would kill 1 trooper and a half average. Taking in account that troopers will likely have tokens of their own the odds still the same. Chewie rolls 4 dice naked. Troopers save at 50%.

No pierce here buddy.

Edited by xerpo

1 hour ago, xerpo said:

One  naked mighty champion is usually way less effective that half a dozen armored professional soldiers in hand to hand combat, yes. Sounds good to me.

It's not like you have the choice to include them in your rebel army instead of Chewbacca though so it seems pretty academic.

Edited by TauntaunScout

22 hours ago, jcmonson said:

The main reason I don't like them is because while the were fighting, and the were fighting the Empire, they weren't fighting with the Rebel Alliance.  So while I think they belong in the game I don't think they belong on the side of the Rebels.  I mean in Aftermath: Life Debt the New Republic seems to think that Kashyyyk isn't a high priority.  In Rebels after the Ghosts crew rescues the Wookies the Wookies offer to assist the Rebels if they need it, and the rebels never seem to team up with the Wookies after that.  Both of these points lead me to believe that the Rebellion never actually seeks help from the Wookies, the one exception being Chewbacca and mainly because he was partners with Han.

Wookie Commandos have been a Rebel thing at least since Rebellion was released twenty years ago (opposite Dark Troopers IIRC) so really it isn't weird at all. Plus you've got the added bonus of being able to repack them for the Clone Wars era which is a net benefit for FFG.

2 hours ago, xerpo said:

Chewie who can get a first strike on a squad of troopers that have already Lost a trooper or two. 

Sure in a meele vacuum, but that's not the game.

Only force users should be able take on a squad in melee and win, no one else.  This ability should be extremely rare so we dont wind up herohammer in legion skins.

I suppose Grievous would be a non force user that should be able to melee a squad and win right?

7 minutes ago, Rmills228 said:

Only force users should be able take on a squad in melee and win, no one else.  This ability should be extremely rare so we dont wind up herohammer in legion skins.

I suppose Grievous would be a non force user that should be able to melee a squad and win right?

Then, why design chewie in that way and empower his skills to melee combat (+1 dice, enrage charge) if the best way to use him is to stay in cover and use the crossbow, and pray that your white defense dice is enough to keep you alive? If he cant even melee out properly the cheapest unit in the empire? Again I feel like ffg designers are sometimes high on something when they sketch new units.

5 hours ago, jocke01 said:

Chewie who can get a first strike on a squad of troopers that have already Lost a trooper or two. 

Sure in a meele vacuum, but that's not the game.

Exactly, in a melee vacuum actually chewie gets better than he should. If he gets to strike first means he is enraged, meaning that he is not 12 health anymore, he is 8 health in the best of cases, must probably way lower, to catch that many points in a so weak plataform in the open is a sweet present for the enemy.

37 minutes ago, xerpo said:

Then, why design chewie in that way and empower his skills to melee combat (+1 dice, enrage charge) if the best way to use him is to stay in cover and use the crossbow, and pray that your white defense dice is enough to keep you alive? If he cant even melee out properly the cheapest unit in the empire? Again I feel like ffg designers are sometimes high on something when they sketch new units.

High, or just don't care about the min/maxer's agenda? Non-optimized units are pretty reasonable in a simulation game, real people aren't perfect. He can take on other characters and already damaged units in hand to hand combat, and is dangerous enough that even if you charge him with a squad with the intent to destroy him, you'll take losses and lose time.

Edited by TauntaunScout

4 hours ago, xerpo said:

I'm not sure I understand.  Chewie is more powerful than your run of the mill trooper by far.  However hes not a true match for a Jedi or a Sith Lord.

And that's a problem for you?

Are you suggesting that Chewie should be on par with Luke or Vader?

And all the while costing so much less?

Just so I'm making sense ... Chewie is good at melee because hes over seven feet tall and massive.  His defense isn't great because ... well ... hes over seven feet tall and massive.

7 hours ago, Rmills228 said:

I'm not sure I understand.  Chewie is more powerful than your run of the mill trooper by far.  However hes not a true match for a Jedi or a Sith Lord.

And that's a problem for you?

Are you suggesting that Chewie should be on par with Luke or Vader?

And all the while costing so much less?

Just so I'm making sense ... Chewie is good at melee because hes over seven feet tall and massive.  His defense isn't great because ... well ... hes over seven feet tall and massive.

That is not true as I just demonstrated on the OP.
I dont want a jedi wookie, that would be nice though there is some racial issues in SW Universe ?, but either a pierce 1 in the melee atack pool or a defensive surge to convert the saves to fives and sixes not just sixes would be much better and balanced imo.

6 hours ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

Oh no...  you mean I might have to...  gasp...  strategize?!  I might have to think about when is  the best time to charge in with my single wookie?  That charging full strength units of soldiers headlong might not work?  Totally broken.  Unplayable. 

Armada forums is filled with people like you, you should go around there some times youll feel just like home.

2 hours ago, xerpo said:

That is not true as I just demonstrated on the OP.
I dont want a jedi wookie, that would be nice though there is some racial issues in SW Universe ?, but either a pierce 1 in the melee atack pool or a defensive surge to convert the saves to fives and sixes not just sixes would be much better and balanced imo.

I'm a little thick so bear with me ...

You demonstrated that Chewie vs a squad of troopers in a pure 1v1 melee favors the troopers.

I read it, maybe I didn't process it correctly?

If that's indeed the case then the results of Chewie not coming out on top are the results I personally would favor.  I think it's good that a single Wookie (no matter how well loved) cant take on a squad of troopers all by himself.

However I said trooper.  I intentionally left off the s.  Chewie vs a single trooper should have Chewie winning hands down.  I believe that's true but math would prove me right or wrong.

Either way, I think we both agree that a Wookie jedi would be something to see.

12 minutes ago, Rmills228 said:

I'm a little thick so bear with me ...

You demonstrated that Chewie vs a squad of troopers in a pure 1v1 melee favors the troopers.

I read it, maybe I didn't process it correctly?

If that's indeed the case then the results of Chewie not coming out on top are the results I personally would favor.  I think it's good that a single Wookie (no matter how well loved) cant take on a squad of troopers all by himself.

However I said trooper.  I intentionally left off the s.  Chewie vs a single trooper should have Chewie winning hands down.  I believe that's true but math would prove me right or wrong.

Either way, I think we both agree that a Wookie jedi would be something to see.

Assuming I skimmed all the old math right, taking 6 black dice down to one black die would reduce the 3 point something wounds caused by the troopers to 1/6th of that. The trooper will roll less than one wound on the multi-wound Chewbacca, while Chewie will still inflict several on the trooper who can only take a single hit. Yep he will defeat a single trooper.

Someone's excitement (or lack thereof) about a release being stats-based is baffling to me. Like the people who would always get excited when GW announced that their codex was being re-released because it meant it was their turn to get the newest (and therefore under-priced/over-powered) list. To me it just meant being on the hook for $50 I didn't feel like spending.

20 hours ago, GreatMazinkaiser said:

Wookie Commandos have been a Rebel thing at least since Rebellion was released twenty years ago (opposite Dark Troopers IIRC) so really it isn't weird at all. Plus you've got the added bonus of being able to repack them for the Clone Wars era which is a net benefit for FFG.

True, but Rebellion isn't canon anymore.  Both sources I listed are canon.  I understand that being canon might not be important to some people, but I also imagine that it is to some.  I understand that some liberties need to be taken because it's a game, and it would not be fun if on every endor table rebels always won and on every hoth table rebels always lost, but, at least for me, I like it to fit with the general background of the Star Wars universe.  The way I interpret the lore is that the Rebel Alliance, and later the New Republic didn't really care about the Wookies all that much, and so having squads of them running around fighting with the Rebellion just didn't happen.  Don't get me wrong, I think they defiantly belong in the game, my issue is entirely with them being lumped in with the Alliance.  I also have the same issue with the Emperor by the way so its not just about the Wookies.

47 minutes ago, jcmonson said:

I understand that being canon might not be important to some people, but I also imagine that it is to some.

Then you're already sunk. Every other Star Wars game FFG has made includes non-canon timeline elements and units, so you might want to start mentally working on getting over it, or stop following the game ?

48 minutes ago, jcmonson said:

The way I interpret the lore is that the Rebel Alliance, and later the New Republic didn't really care about the Wookies all that much

I admittedly don't follow any of the new "lore" because everything I've looked at beyond the comics seems like it was written by 10-year olds...but where does this come from? One of the major battles shown in Episode III was on Kashyyyk, where the Wookiees were shown to be friendly with Yoda, so what has been added to the timeline afterward to show the Rebellion not caring about them?