Jump to content
xerpo

Not too excited about Chewie

Recommended Posts

So, looking and looking again up to the Chewie stats card I saw that terrible white defense dice. Any rebel player who has run an AT-RT a couple of times knows what that means, they last one or two blows depending on what hits them, now im terrified about Chewie because unlike the AT-RT, he does not have armor. So he will save with natural sixes from every hit, it doesen`t matter his life he will go down crazy fast.

I made a very simple comparison in a melee combat, where Chewie si supposed to excel, between Chewie and a single stormtrooper unit with 6 soldiers. Bare in mind how expensive Chewie is in comparison with that unit.

Chewie:                                     
4 red dice means 3,5 wounds per blow with a 87,5% chances to hit and an offensive surge. From wich the ST unit will take 1,75 wounds in that attack due to their 50% red dice save.

Chewie will do 1,75 wounds to a STunit, not very impressive.

STunit:
6 black dice means 3,75 wounds per blow with a 62,5% chances to hit and an offensive surge. From wich Chewie will take 3,121 wounds in that attack due to his 16,6% white dice save.

STunit will do 3,121 wounds to Chewie. Quite impressive.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chewie looks fantastic. I can't tell the cost, but anything under 180 would be a steal. He looks relatively comparable to Vader (as close as you can be without the Force powers and a lightsaber). He hits hard, has loads of hitpoints, and has a solid synergy with his buddy. I'm almost afraid he is cheaper than he should be. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, crx3800 said:

Chewie looks fantastic. I can't tell the cost, but anything under 180 would be a steal. He looks relatively comparable to Vader (as close as you can be without the Force powers and a lightsaber). He hits hard, has loads of hitpoints, and has a solid synergy with his buddy. I'm almost afraid he is cheaper than he should be. 

 

Without pierce or impact, he isn't even close to Vader except against Lightsaber users. I'm pretty sure Chewie is just 100 points.

As far as durability goes... White defense dice are frustrating. From a simple numbers Point of View, Chewie is more durable than Leia or Veers (Uncanny luck gives Han equal durability). And relying on wounds over dice gives Chewie an edge against pierce attacks (Rolling one block or three against 5 wounds doesn't matter when Vader cancels them all). However, rolling failure after failure means he's probably going to feel more fragile than the cheap commanders.

 

As far as the matchup you discuss, OP, I feel you're not factoring in a few things; For one thing, you're neglecting tokens- The stormies will probably aim, which ups their damage significantly. Chewie, on the other hand, could easily have several tokens thanks to charge leaving him with an action the turn he moves+attacks, as well as his synergy with Leia and Han. Tenacity and Hunter also give him a good bit more offensive presence. So, let's say Chewie should have 5 Red dice, quite possibly with an aim and dodge token. You also need to consider that the stormtroopers are almost certainly going second- Which means Chewie already killed 2-3. And in that situation, it starts to look like the Wookie is going to win :)

Edited by Squark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will see how balanced/effective Chewbacca is once he is on the table. What I am no too excited about are the Wookie Warriors. They are prequel era units and probably should have been released with Yoda as a Commander. This could have been the time to release a full on alien squad that they didn't already give us in Imperial Assault. We could have gotten Sullustan, Quarren, Gran, Ishi Tib, Bith.

They are borrowing Gideon from IA as the latter to be released Generic Commander/Specialist. I do not want them to just release larger versions of IA characters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simple comparison of the expected damage does not tell you the whole story, there are other factors. Stormtroopers lose their attack dice quickly, when they get shot, Chewie keeps his 4 red dice as long as he is alive. He can equip tenacity (plus red die when wounded), harder to suppress, has synergy with Han, he brings command cards that can get you further advantage. Let's not write him off yet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Squark said:

Tenacity and Hunter also give him a good bit more offensive presence.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Hunter require the targeted unit to have a wound counter? If so, that would mean it only triggers against units that have multi-wound models, since units with single wound models are removed instead of gaining counters? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Caimheul1313 said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Hunter require the targeted unit to have a wound counter? If so, that would mean it only triggers against units that have multi-wound models, since units with single wound models are removed instead of gaining counters? 

Completely correct, that's why Tenacity has addition language for fighting partial units. That was just to point out Chewie can get a free aim token vs. Commanders, Operatives, and occasionally against the melee special forces units.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Squark said:

Completely correct, that's why Tenacity has addition language for fighting partial units. That was just to point out Chewie can get a free aim token vs. Commanders, Operatives, and occasionally against the melee special forces units.

Ah, okay. Was just checking since the combat example had Chewie vs Stormtroopers. It should also trigger against vehicles or any other multi-wound (Edit: Trooper) models. 

Edited by Caimheul1313

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Ah, okay. Was just checking since the combat example had Chewie vs Stormtroopers. It should also trigger against vehicles or any other multi-wound models. 

Hunter only works against trooper units, so no vehicles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, xerpo said:

So, looking and looking again up to the Chewie stats card I saw that terrible white defense dice. Any rebel player who has run an AT-RT a couple of times knows what that means, they last one or two blows depending on what hits them, now im terrified about Chewie because unlike the AT-RT, he does not have armor. So he will save with natural sixes from every hit, it doesen`t matter his life he will go down crazy fast.

I made a very simple comparison in a melee combat, where Chewie si supposed to excel, between Chewie and a single stormtrooper unit with 6 soldiers. Bare in mind how expensive Chewie is in comparison with that unit.

Chewie:                                     
4 red dice means 3,5 wounds per blow with a 87,5% chances to hit and an offensive surge. From wich the ST unit will take 1,75 wounds in that attack due to their 50% red dice save.

Chewie will do 1,75 wounds to a STunit, not very impressive.

STunit:
6 black dice means 3,75 wounds per blow with a 62,5% chances to hit and an offensive surge. From wich Chewie will take 3,121 wounds in that attack due to his 16,6% white dice save.

STunit will do 3,121 wounds to Chewie. Quite impressive.
 

If stats are all that excites you, why play a model based game? There are way better outlets for an interest in mathematics than this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also do not expect too much from both Chewie and the Warriors.

I think they will both work good against Snowtroopers and Fleet Troopers though, because they can engage them and neutralize their output.

Royal Guard will be much better at that job, because Palp and Vader can increase their threat range with that 3rd movement action.

Wookies are more flexible on the other hand, because their shooting is quite  decent as well.They also do not care a lot about pierce.

Chewies Teamwork will also have a lot of utility, especially if you use Sorry for the mess twice, Lukes My ally is the Force  or use Leias Take cover 2 on both of them.

I am not sure if that will justfy their pricetag in a really competitive list. Luke may not have as much raw output per point against some units, but he is much more reliable and does his thing against almost every kind of target.

@ TauntaunScout: Stats are by far not the only important  thing in the game, but you have to consider them as well.

Edited by M.Mustermann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, M.Mustermann said:

 

@ TauntaunScout: Stats are by far not the only important  thing in the game, but you have to consider them as well.

No I don't! They can go to the arctic without a costume change. Nothing to consider. I'll pick up one of each!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Han, Leia and Chewie.  Leia uses take cover to give Han and Chewie each a dodge, and then they each get a second one when the other is assigned the one from Leia.  If they both also dodge that turn they can have as many as four dodge tokens each round. That would make then pretty hard to shift, if an expensive combo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'M super exited about chewbacca!

Bunch of wounds, command cards that combo with the rebel commanders.

Sure he has bad defence, but he can talar a bunch then activate charge and go bananas on some troopers to avoid being shot.

Looks like heaven costs 80 or 90 points in the preview so well worth it IMO

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jocke01 said:

I'M super exited about chewbacca!

Bunch of wounds, command cards that combo with the rebel commanders.

Sure he has bad defence, but he can talar a bunch then activate charge and go bananas on some troopers to avoid being shot.

Looks like heaven costs 80 or 90 points in the preview so well worth it IMO

 

I'm pretty sure he cost 80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, M.Mustermann said:

No way. There are 3 digits on that card, the first one beeing a one. He is way above 100 points base.

I don't see a 1, I'm pretty sure it's an 80

748933239_Sinttulo.jpg.daf5b5ac4618a09219206dc1f772a3d5.jpg

EDIT: This is Boba Fett. You can clearly see 3 numbers, but on Chewie's there are only 2:

1312881520_Sinttulo2.jpg.55795a80fcee7bfb39779f0a4c741a74.jpg

Edited by Lemmiwinks86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, C3POFETT said:

They are prequel era units and probably should have been released with Yoda as a Commander. This could have been the time to release a full on alien squad that they didn't already give us in Imperial Assault. We could have gotten Sullustan, Quarren, Gran, Ishi Tib, Bith.

 They are borrowing Gideon from IA as the latter to be released Generic Commander/Specialist. I do not want them to just release larger versions of IA characters.

I really don’t understand either of these complaints.  I mean, just because we see Wookiee warriors in the prequels and only Chewbacca In the original trilogy doesn’t suddenly mean Wookiee ceased to exist prior to the galactic civil war...  If you prefer other aliens that’s fine, but I don’t think most people would rather have random aliens over Wookiee.

As far as the generic commander model looking like Gideon I think it’s a tip of the hat to IA.

Edited by BigBadAndy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Wookies were fighting for the freedom of their homeworld from the "end" of the Clone Wars and through the GCW. These guys never really got a break. With the tendency to be used as slave labor, they always have a reason to fight. Just because they weren't on screen doesnt mean they weren't fighting. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The main reason I don't like them is because while the were fighting, and the were fighting the Empire, they weren't fighting with the Rebel Alliance.  So while I think they belong in the game I don't think they belong on the side of the Rebels.  I mean in Aftermath: Life Debt the New Republic seems to think that Kashyyyk isn't a high priority.  In Rebels after the Ghosts crew rescues the Wookies the Wookies offer to assist the Rebels if they need it, and the rebels never seem to team up with the Wookies after that.  Both of these points lead me to believe that the Rebellion never actually seeks help from the Wookies, the one exception being Chewbacca and mainly because he was partners with Han.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...