Sign in to follow this  
c5alinas

Star Wars series

10 minutes ago, TheCallum said:

I’m not talking about it because I have no idea what you are talking about.

There will be a live action Star Wars series, produced by Jon Favreau, it’ll release into Disney’s upcoming streaming service

2 hours ago, c5alinas said:

So nobody talking about Starwars new series? Its suposed to be aftar the return of the Jedi and each episode goint to have a budget of 10 million dollars.

That's almost the original film's budget per episode.

I guarantee that after Solo flopped, that's been decreased. Game of Thrones has an estimated per episode budget of $15 million during its final season,  and that's a money train by comparison to recent Star Wars projects.  Disney just greenlit the Clone Wars and if that has a budget over $2,000,000 total I'd be genuinely stunned. 

This always cracks me up.

Episode VII:
"They didn't tell us anything about what happened over the last 30 years"

Mini Series set after RotJ and before TFA:
"Meh not really interested..."

Or this classic

Episode VII:

"It's just a clone of A New Hope, it's too derivative."

Episode VIII:
"It's not enough like Star Wars! Childhood ruined!"

lol
giphy.gif

Anyways, I'll be excited to see it.

8 hours ago, thecactusman17 said:

I guarantee that after Solo flopped, that's been decreased. Game of Thrones has an estimated per episode budget of $15 million during its final season,  and that's a money train by comparison to recent Star Wars projects.  Disney just greenlit the Clone Wars and if that has a budget over $2,000,000 total I'd be genuinely stunned. 

The announcement of the cost per episode showed up recently (August 5th I believe), well after Solo came out.

The opposite approach could be taken to what you’re suggesting about Disney’s reaction to Solo. They’ve sunk a ton of money into it, got Jon Favreau to produce it (who has managed to kickstart some longshots, Iron Man included), and distanced Kathleen Kennedy to only making a blurb of a comment regarding the project. Seems like a good start to me.

It’s one of many titles they’re hoping to pull people into their streaming service with, so a high budget visual attraction enticing to “those in the fanbase who throw money at these kinds of things” is a must. I’m not saying it’ll right the ship, but it might seal a few bulkheads and trap some replaceable crew beneath the waterline.

I suspect we’re also going to be seeing quite a few of the ships from that show and Resistance being pushed by FFG (mainly because they’ll be pushed on FFG by Disney).

Edited by Flavorabledeez

6 hours ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Or this classic

Episode VII:

"It's just a clone of A New Hope, it's too derivative."

Episode VIII:
"It's not enough like Star Wars! Childhood ruined!”

I mean... it’s perfectly sensible to say they went too far one way, then overcorrected.  The lazy copywork made TFA my least favorite film of the franchise, and I’m hugely grateful we didn’t get an ESB clone.  I still think it’s bad, but I don’t feel insulted with what they gave us.  To each their own.

Reading this thread sadly reminds me why many Star Wars fans are deplorable.  

I am excited to see what this new series will do.  I will give the streaming service a chance though I would have preferred it to appear on Netflix or Hulu.

Edited by ninclouse2000

3 hours ago, geek19 said:

I'm so glad we could devolve the topic of "So how bout this new series" into "I hate a thing and everyone needs to hear it!"

I'm interested based on casting, directors, plot, etc. When more is revealed, I'll probably get more excited?

The secret is to just not care about people hating something.  They can't make it worse, and can't ruin your enjoyment of it unless you let them.  Don't let them take the sky from you.

15 hours ago, thecactusman17 said:

The article being from Monday would seem to make this super wrong. Is your guarantee good for a refund?

I think I saw somewhere that it might deal with Mandalorians, but honestly I'm really curious about the series as a whole and am eager to see a trailer.

17 hours ago, Coldhands said:

After Return of the Jedi? Meh... not my cup of tea. I could imagine a lot better between ep 3-4. But this resistance-new order crap. I can imagine how much effor didney will put in. 

There is tons of stuff set between ROTS and ANH, heck we are even getting a Jedi on the run retread in a year or two with the Fallen Jedi game. In comparison the timespan between ROTJ and TFA has barely been touched up, at most we have stuff that happened up to a year after ROTJ and then some stuff set shortly before TFA with I think Bloodline being the one set the furthest away from TFA and it ends with the Resistance forming. 

9 hours ago, Megatronrex said:

My feelings on the matter

21v2bw.jpg

Eh, I mean I don't like TLJ but the Holiday Special has an elderly Wookie getting 'excited' which is something I never needed to see. On a side note is the Holiday Special even canon anymore? 

4 hours ago, Nostromoid said:

The article being from Monday would seem to make this super wrong. Is your guarantee good for a refund?

My guarentee is good for a few moments of introspection. 

Star Wars Fatigue is definitely settling in with the casual fans.   Decreasing revenue over multiple films is undeniable now. The goal now seems to be recouping as much potential profit as possible from that $4 billion investment in Lucasfilm.

The Clone Wars "reboot" is an effort to save the market they can most rely on: us.  The hardcore nerd crowd who shells out hundreds each year on merch and experiences. And as a former employee,  Disney isn't going to throw 10 million per episode at anything unless they have a proven hit on their hands. Which means either the dollar figure is inaccurate or are missing critical info on how it's being spent. 

This sounds a lot like the Grand Tour financial reports which estimated they had $4 million per episode from the Amazon contract.  Host Jeremy Clarkson addressed it directly in an interview and said the extra money was certainly nice, but they had nowhere near that money per episode as it all went to miscellaneous background costs necessary to create the show. By comparison,  $10 million over episode is what people are expecting for the final season of Game of Thrones and that's only after 7 seasons of increasingly profitable and popular TV on a far smaller budget.  That smells of confidence. 

By comparison,  $10 million per episode on an unproven tv series smells mor like desperation. 

37 minutes ago, thecactusman17 said:

My guarentee is good for a few moments of introspection. 

Star Wars Fatigue is definitely settling in with the casual fans.   Decreasing revenue over multiple films is undeniable now. The goal now seems to be recouping as much potential profit as possible from that $4 billion investment in Lucasfilm.

The Clone Wars "reboot" is an effort to save the market they can most rely on: us.  The hardcore nerd crowd who shells out hundreds each year on merch and experiences. And as a former employee,  Disney isn't going to throw 10 million per episode at anything unless they have a proven hit on their hands. Which means either the dollar figure is inaccurate or are missing critical info on how it's being spent. 

This sounds a lot like the Grand Tour financial reports which estimated they had $4 million per episode from the Amazon contract.  Host Jeremy Clarkson addressed it directly in an interview and said the extra money was certainly nice, but they had nowhere near that money per episode as it all went to miscellaneous background costs necessary to create the show. By comparison,  $10 million over episode is what people are expecting for the final season of Game of Thrones and that's only after 7 seasons of increasingly profitable and popular TV on a far smaller budget.  That smells of confidence. 

By comparison,  $10 million per episode on an unproven tv series smells mor like desperation. 

Grand Tour is the type of show to have very different budget constraints than this new Star Wars series due to the difference in material, so your example comes off as an “apples to oranges” comparison. Jeremy Clarkson’s quote is probably just an indirect reference to the hosts’ spectre of a bar tab that follows them wherever they travel to. “Background costs” indeed.

As is, the stated cost per episode of the Star Wars show to me comes off as not giving the “fans” anything to pick at regarding visual quality when the previews start to come out, since said “fans” are sniffing around and looking for any reason to make a YouTube video about skies falling. Cause you know, “likes, bro.” This show is shaping up to be the flagship and a focal point for the launch of Disney’s streaming network. That alone justifies the cost in making it quality. So it’s less desperation and more just a smart business investment given how difficult the streaming market is to break into.

But if you want desperation in a company’s actions, that would be the unexpected season of Clone Wars. Back tracking and letting beloved Filoni dip his toe in what was the (arguably) only good thing to come from the prequel era? That to me says desperation in getting people back onboard, so we’re in agreement there.

And all I ever wanted was a Rogue Squadron show. Why does that always seem a bridge too far?

Edited by Flavorabledeez

4 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

Eh, I mean I don't like TLJ but the Holiday Special has an elderly Wookie getting 'excited' which is something I never needed to see. On a side note is the Holiday Special even canon anymore? 

While I was originally being hyperbolic with my post, the more I think about it the less ridiculous ranking THS over TLJ seems. THS is one of those movies that's so bad it's funny. TLJ didn't hit that mark for me it was more of a bad in a sad and disheartening way. I say disheartening because THS never made me leery of the future of Star Wars the way TLJ does largely because like you said it's not canon. I can ignore it and pretend it was all Luke Skywalker's bad dream. I can't do that with TLJ no matter how much I wish I could because it is canon. While TLJ is certainly the more visually stunning of the two that's just not quite enough to edge it past THS for me. Ultimately my decision as to which of these two movies was the most pants on head exceptional had to come down to which one had the best drinking scene and I prefered THS.

image.png.4f7ca5806aa9db70e2f9d5d4ef71d473.png

Edited by Megatronrex

3 hours ago, thecactusman17 said:

Star Wars Fatigue is definitely settling in with the casual fans.

I'd say even with some hardcore fans. I fall somewhere in between and besides Rogue One none of the new books, films nor rebels has done anything for me. I am flatly not going to watch Ep.9 in cinemas. When I read about this I immediately didn't want the show even though I knew nothing about it.