HolySorcerer

An old grump watches the clone wars

I have been less than subtle about my dislike for everything prequel related.  (The movies are objectively terrible, if you disagree then you are wrong).  Because of this I have a negative enthusiasm value for the announcement of prequel factions joining xwing.  However, the people excited for these new factions by and large do not speak fondly of the films, but rather of the 2008 cgi clone wars tv series.  I have never watched this series, for reasons you can likely guess. 

I figure that I may as well try and familiarize myself with this material, if for no other reason than to be more informed about upcoming changes to xwing.  I have signed up for Netflix and have just finished the first episode.  I'll try to keep things positive here, but it is off to a rough start.  When do you clone wars fans think the show starts picking up?  When does this become good?

I found it rather hit or miss for the entire run, just with more misses early on and more hits later. I HATED Asoka at first, but they managed to actually grow her character throughout the series and she ended up one of my favorite SW characters. 

In general, I found the episodes that focused on the clones, rather than the Jedi much better, but there are some really good Anakin episodes as well. 

1 minute ago, Forgottenlore said:

I found it rather hit or miss for the entire run, just with more misses early on and more hits later. I HATED Asoka at first, but they managed to actually grow her character throughout the series and she ended up one of my favorite SW characters. 

In general, I found the episodes that focused on the clones, rather than the Jedi much better, but there are some really good Anakin episodes as well. 

Well I hate Asoka in rebels and was disappointed that Vader didn't kill her when he had the chance, so that's not looking good for me on this front.

1 minute ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

Season 2 is good. Second half of season 1 is alright. After those it gets better.

Here's hoping.  Does the animation and VO work improve, or just the story?

29 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

I have been less than subtle about my dislike for everything prequel related.  (The movies are objectively terrible, if you disagree then you are wrong).  Because of this I have a negative enthusiasm value for the announcement of prequel factions joining xwing.  However, the people excited for these new factions by and large do not speak fondly of the films, but rather of the 2008 cgi clone wars tv series.  I have never watched this series, for reasons you can likely guess. 

I figure that I may as well try and familiarize myself with this material, if for no other reason than to be more informed about upcoming changes to xwing.  I have signed up for Netflix and have just finished the first episode.  I'll try to keep things positive here, but it is off to a rough start.  When do you clone wars fans think the show starts picking up?  When does this become good?

I'm in a similar mind set.  While I don't out right hate the prequels, and felt they had a few nice moments, they are ranked as my least favorite of all the movies.

I watched about 1.5 seasons of Clone wars and realized that for the last half a dozen episodes I ended up playing games on my phone while it was on in the background.  It could never quite hold my attention, so I finally just stopped watching.

I did enjoy Rebels though.

38 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

I have been less than subtle about my dislike for everything prequel related.  (The movies are objectively terrible, if you disagree then you are wrong).

Well I guess I'm "wrong" then.  There's no correct opinion on any movie, star wars or otherwise.

53 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

Can I suggest you watch them in chronological order?  Chronological order

I don't know why, but they did the first couple of seasons all out of order.  As you look at things you can see it's worse in the beginning.  It really becomes better if you play them in actual order.  

55 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

(The movies are objectively terrible, if you disagree then you are wrong). 

Yeah, people 'round here need to get a clue about what "objective" means in regards to opinions.

Anyhoo, if you are going into this show with you Prequel Hate set to 11, they are not good enough to convert you.

They are better than the movies, worse than Rebels, and hit or miss episode by episode.

First season is bad, but you just need to watch it for the sake of the story and the character development. Second season is where it gets good, story is deeper and characters are more developed.

Everyone hates Ahsoka in the first season. Almost everyone loves her by the end of the show.

You'll also see a good version of Anakin throughout this series.

Personally I liked Episode 1, with Yoda wisdoming to the clones. 

However my personal favorite out of season 1 would have to be episode five, titled "Rookies".

Season two is when the show really picks up (although the Malevolence arc is decent if you're looking for space battles).

1 hour ago, HolySorcerer said:

Season 1 is for the most part rather rough just the same way that Rebels had a mostly rough first season. It starts to pick up more moving forward, and generally most episodes or arcs that focus on Jar Jar are not all that great. As for the art, I think around season 4 they began going back and updating older models. 

Image result for yoda model clone wars update

59 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

Can I suggest you watch them in chronological order?  Chronological order

I don't know why, but they did the first couple of seasons all out of order.  As you look at things you can see it's worse in the beginning.  It really becomes better if you play them in actual order.  

Lucas, all Lucas. I think on one of the behind the scenes videoes or the commentary on the episode Filoni mentioned he and the others were a little blindsided by the decisions since they never thought to add episodes as prequels to other episodes, I think Cat and Mouse is the first of those granted it introduces Trench so yay. 

The series suffers a few Lucas-isms with certain arcs, like the Droid one I believe in season 5, though there is the smallest amount of connection from that episode with Rebels. 

8 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

However my personal favorite out of season 1 would have to be episode five, titled "Rookies".

Season two is when the show really picks up (although the Malevolence arc is decent if you're looking for space battles).

Rookies was good, have to wonder if Netflix has the censored or the non-censored version. When it first aired on CN it actually had one of the clones say '****' which I think stirred a little trouble so they didn't have the characters cuss again in the show.

There are some legitimately good story arcs and one offs, but the quality is not super consistent.  The arc near in the last real season with the droid special mission was painful to watch and drug on forever.  I think it was literally about 4-5 episodes before it finally stopped. 

I really liked the D-Day on geonosis arc, the whole Afghan war arc with a young Saw gererra was really good, malevolence arc was solid as was the Obi Wan undercover arc, the Ashoka arc near the end of the last season was really well done and the order 66 arc was one of the best as was the arc about the Jedi leading the clones to their death on suicide missions where Rex has to try to hold the unit together through dissent.

That being said, you'll still find some super meh episodes even in the last season.  Worth your time, but I like to have something else I'm working on when I hit episodes that drag for extended periods of time.

Just now, Animewarsdude said:

Season 1 is for the most part rather rough just the same way that Rebels had a mostly rough first season. It starts to pick up more moving forward, and generally most episodes or arcs that focus on Jar Jar are not all that great. As for the art, I think around season 4 they began going back and updating older models. 

Image result for yoda model clone wars update

Lucas, all Lucas. I think on one of the behind the scenes videoes or the commentary on the episode Filoni mentioned he and the others were a little blindsided by the decisions since they never thought to add episodes as prequels to other episodes, I think Cat and Mouse is the first of those granted it introduces Trench so yay. 

The series suffers a few Lucas-isms with certain arcs, like the Droid one I believe in season 5, though there is the smallest amount of connection from that episode with Rebels. 

Rookies was good, have to wonder if Netflix has the censored or the non-censored version. When it first aired on CN it actually had one of the clones say '****' which I think stirred a little trouble so they didn't have the characters cuss again in the show.

I remember watching that when it first aired. It was Cody. "Rex, what the "He!!" are you doing?"

25 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

There are some legitimately good story arcs and one offs, but the quality is not super consistent.  The arc near in the last real season with the droid special mission was painful to watch and drug on forever.  I think it was literally about 4-5 episodes before it finally stopped. 

That is what I meant by a Lucas-ism. Sometimes he just had a wild hair and wanted the team to do something odd, I think one of that droid arc took place entirely in the desert and I believe Lucas gave the team the direction to make an episode about nothing or where nothing happens.

Edited by Animewarsdude

52 minutes ago, Boba Rick said:

The Clones.

It's all about the brotherhood and comradery of them.  That's when the show is at its best.

Yep.  The show has a lot of very low lows, but some very high highs.  

By and large the clone episodes elevate from "average star wars" to "legitimately good science fiction".

@HolySorcererPer the OP, there are a few things I tell everyone:

1.)  I don't feel bad about skipping Jar-Jar or Droid episodes.  

2.)  Asohka gets better.

3.)  I think the Clone Wars presents the definitive version of Anakin Skywalker.  He's reaching his full potential, no longer a whiney punk.  He has real admirable qualities, and an understandable slowly growing break from the Jedi order that feels real and justified.  

@HolySorcerer

Hope this helps

Using the Chronological Order list I'll try to go through the episodes without spoiling anything (hopefully) so you can use it a little bit as a guide. For episodes that form an arc I'll make note of those too. Granted, I'm doing this mostly off of memory so other people feel free to correct or point out episodes you feel are real important too. 

2-16: Cat and Mouse - Pretty decent and has a good villain in Trench.

1-16: The Hidden Enemy - A little bit of set up for the film.

Film: Pretty eh, and the big thing is the introduction of Ahsoka and....Ziro the Hutt which eh...

3-01: Clone Cadets - Good, though serves to give some characterization to the Clones we see in Rookies.

3-03: Supply Lines - Puts into the mind the conflict brewing on Ryloth but is a Jar Jar episode with Bail there.

1-01: Ambush - Yoda + some Clones more just stuff happening on Ryloth.

1-02, 1-03, 1-04: Malevolence Arc - Pretty decent arc with some Y-Wing action.

1-05: Rookies - Building off Clone Cadets and is a near Clone only episode, so good.

1-06, and 1-07: R2 and Goldie Mini Arc - Mini arc with a focus on R2 and Anakin's attachment/relationship with him.

1-08: Bombad Jedi - Jar Jar episode, SKIP! Just note that Nute Gunray gets captured.

1-09: Cloak of Darkness - Continues after the last one minus Jar Jar and is pretty decent if I remember correctly.

1-10: Lair of Grievous - Some background on Grievous, I personally prefer the original EU explanation, also serves to show how the war is already affecting the Jedi to an extent.

1-11 and 1-12: Hondo's introduction Mini Arc - Small note the second episode is a Jar Jar episode but the first is Hondo's actual introduction.

1-13 and 114: Stranded Mini Arc - Has Ayla Secura and George Takei voices the villain, also cool battle in the first episode.

1-15: Trespass - Alright/nothing special lets you see Clones in their cold weather gear.

1-17, and 1-18: Blue Shadow Virus Mini Arc - I think Jar Jar is there though there is more of a focus on Padme and Ahsoka as they deal with a genetically created or recreated virus.

1-19, 1-120, 1-21: Ryloth Arc - Introduces Cham Syndulla and deals with the battles raging there.

2-01, 2-02, 2-03: Cad Bane Arc - Cad Bane's introduction chronologically his original debut in the show is later, give it a shot.

2-17: Bounty Hunters - 7 Samurai + Hondo + First introduction to Embo.

2-18, and 2-19: Zillo Beast Mini Arc - Star Wars Godzilla.

2-04: Senate Spy - Anakin dealing with jealousy as Padme has to get info out of an ex-lover.

2-05, 2-06, 2-07, 2-08: Second Battle of Geonosis Arc - It shifts tone throughout the episodes from hardcore battles to horror/zombie flick, but is pretty good.

2-09, 2-10: Saleucami Mini Arc - First episode is a rescue op, the second is more exploring the clones and choices, but fairly decent.

2-11: Lightsaber Lost - Ahsoka lost her lightsaber and tries to get it back with the help of an old Jedi (not Yoda).

2-12, 2-13, 2-14: First Mandalore Plot - Probably mostly required viewing considering that we will be seeing more of Mandalore throughout the series and its relationship with The Death Watch.

2-20, 2-21, 2-22: Boba's Return Arc - Boba tries to avenge his father by going after Mace.

3-05, and 306: Mandalore Corruption Arc - Padme + Satine for the first episode and then Ahoska and some kids the second. The after effects of this episode have a small effect that comes up in a later Mandalore arc. 

3-07: Assassin - Ahoska protecting Padme, has a link to the upcoming episode Hostage Crisis.

3-02: ARC Troopers - Battle of Kamino and the Clones from Rookies return.

3-04: Sphere of Influence - Pretty standalone and involves George Lucas' background character from ROTS and I think Greedo shows up at some point.

3-08, 1-22,and 3-09: Cad Bane and Ziro Arc - The first two episodes focus on Cad Bane and are both enjoyable whereas the other one focuses on Ziro, the long lipped alien that sings in ROTJ, and Ziro's mom so likely a hard pass unless you want to see Quinlon Voss. 

3-10: Heroes on Both Side - Introduction to Lux Bonteri he shows up later, and the Republic and CIS trying to come to peace.

3-11: Pursuit of Peace - Padme episode with her trying to stop a bill that would fund the creation of millions of new clone troopers. 

2-15: Senate Murders - Murder mystery sort of plot with Padme investigating the death of a friend/mentor.

3-12, 3-13, 3-14: Savage Opress Arc - Fallout with Ventress, and the introduction of the Nightsisters and Savage Opress.

3-15, 3-16, 3-17: Mortis Arc - They of course show up briefly in the last season of Rebels, some people like it, generally it seems most I hear don't. 

3-18, 3-19, 3-20: Citadel Arc - Anakin, Ahsoka, the clones from Rookies and others are sent to go and rescue Tarkin and Jedi Even Piell. 

3-21, and 3-22: Hunting Arc - Involves Trandosians hunting Jedi padawans, and Chewie shows up. 

4-01, 4-02, and 4-03: Mon Calamari Arc - Deals with the Mon Calamari trying to repel Separatist invaders and Ackbar shows up. 

4-04: Shadow Warrior - Jar Jar episode, SKIP! Jar Jar impersonates a boss to keep the gungans from rising up against the Naboo. 

4-05, and 4-06: R2 and 3PO Mini Arc - 3PO and R2 go underground to stop the earthquakes, and the second episode is pretty much just Guliver's Travels but R2 and 3PO. 

4-07, 4-08, 4-09, 4-10: Umbara Arc - Clone focused arc, especially so on Rex and is pretty great.

4-11, 4-12, and 4-13: Zygerian Slave Arc - Ahsoka's people have been taken and she, Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Rex have to go and find out where they are to rescue them.

4-14: A Friend in Need: Lux Bonteri + Death Watch.

4-15, 4-16, 4-17, and 4-18: Obi Wan Disguise Arc - Pretty good and see some strong effects on Anakin and Cad Bane shows up fairly heavily. Also fairly sure it is where Moralo Eval showed up,

4-19, and 4-20: Ventruss Fallout Mini Arc - First is rather good and features the Nightsisters, the second features Ventruss working with a number of bounty hunters including a more matureish Boba. 

4-21, and 4-22: Return of Maul Mini Arc - Savage goes in search of his brother to bring him back. 

5-02, 5-03, 5-04, and 5-05: Onderon Rebel War Arc - Introduces Saw Gerra, Lux shows back up, and Rebel like tactics are taught to the guerrilla force. Pretty good arc.

5-06, 5-07, 5-08, and 5-09: Ahoska and Younglings Arc - Heavy focus on these new characters, too bad they all die in a year :P, Hondo shows up, and for Dr. Who fans David Tennant plays a character in this arc.

5-10, 5-11, 5-12, 5-13: Droid Ops Arc - Very skippable, does feature a certain Clone Commando that shows up a little bit in Rebels though in 5-12.

5-01, 5-14, 5-15, 5-16: Maul's Vengence + Last Mandalore plot from the original run - Maul's creation of his scum connections, and is a rather good arc. 

5-17, 5-18, 5-19, and 5-20: Ahsoka's Finale Arc - Not really going to spoil anything here, its just good.

6-01, 6-02, 6-03, 6-04: Order 66 Preview Arc - Pretty good, features some favorite Clone characters, and leads to Rex, and Fox making a choice that leads to something that was very briefly addressed in Rebels. 

6-05, 6-06, and 6-07: Banking Arc - The guy from the episode that featured Anakin's jealousy comes back, and this time for 3 EPISODES!

6-08 and 6-09: The Last Jar Jar Arc we Swear - Did you ever want to see a Jar Jar and Mace Windu buddy cop 2 episode arc? No, then SKIP!

6-10, 6-11, 6-12, 6-13: Yoda Force Ghost Arc - Yoda goes through the trials to learn the technique. 

Unfinished Duo Arcs - These two arcs are unfinished and are only animatics, so bad animation, but have full voice work though they will likely be finished for the Clone Wars revival on Disney's streaming service. The revival will also do the Fall of Mandalore arc that will focus on Ahoska and Rex which if I remember correctly runs concurrent with Order 66. 

Crystal Crisis on Utapau Arc (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4) - Anakin and Obi-wan are sent to Utapau for a mission. 

The Bad Batch Arc (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4) - Follows and elite clone group and features the VERY BEST nose art a ship/gunship can get. And yes, Anakin does see it.

Other Media:

Son of Dathomir Arc - Maul's state after what happened in the Last Mandalore plot in the original show's run.

Dark Disciple Novel/Arc(s) - Focused on Ventruss and Quinlin Voss, also was to originally feature the Lancer as her ship which is why Ventruss is a pilot for the ship. 

Edited by Animewarsdude

3 hours ago, FlyingAnchors said:

Yeah, I liked the first episode too. I guess to each their own. 

@HolySorcerer it depends on what you personally like and so there's a lot of options. Fan-favorites that also start good arcs for you to watch include the aforementioned Rookies and Landing at Point Rain. 

3 hours ago, Effenhoog said:

If an episode seems like a "jar jar and padme go on a wacky adventure" episode that you could easily skip, it is and you definitely should.

I cannot agree with this enough. I think there was exactly one enjoyable Jar Jar arc towards the end, and it was largely because it's an odd-couple pairing of him with Mace Windu.

Everything is better with Mace Windu.