TasteTheRainbow

The VCX-100 just kinda melts...

Kanan with Ezra gunner, dorsal turret, Magva Yarro, Chewie and sense can still mitigate a lot of damage with reinforce. Yes its 130pts but gone are the days of the cheap bulky house tank, that mentality for the Ghost needs to be thrown out.

My personal choice would be Hera with Han Solo gunner, Nien Nunb, and Ion Turret for 100pts. It goes against my theory that it must be decked out, but Hera can move well enough that she will dodge a lot of the damage Kanan would have to actively mitigate. I played Heragator quite a bit in 1.0 like this (no shuttle and no TLT) and she can move quite well. With her increased initiative and Nien Nunb's buff, she will be a lot more viable than before.

All in all yes the Ghost has taken a big hit, but its not useless. It was way overpowered to start with so we all need to adjust our expectations of this ship. I personally think the 2.0 Ghost feels a lot more like it does in the show, they've done well to try and capture that. In 1.0 it was just a face tanking turret mount with no flavour at all. I'm actually quite excited to get this ship on the board quite a bit in 2.0.

I think we also need to recognize that the crew and gunners we have aren't fully optimized for large ships. We're dealing with only 2 known waves of upgrades. So, yeah, right now, any ship outside of Wave 1/2 of 2.0 may not be able to be optimized in a way a player would like it to be. So, for now, if a ship is under performing don't write it off completely , just shelve it for a while for new toys to give it a boost come out (or the 2.0 version of said ship that may come with cards that specifically address whatever issue it may have been having).

53 minutes ago, mad mandolorian said:

good, the rebels dont need 2 4 red dice ships

Lothal Rebel (70)
Hera Syndulla (4)
Ezra Bridger (18)
Ion Cannon Turret (6)

Lothal Rebel (70)
Maul (13)
Han Solo (Rebel) (12)
Ion Cannon Turret (6)

Total: 199

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

With turrets front, Han taps at PS7, spends a force, and dares the enemy to shoot him to get a force back before the 4 die attack at PS2. Ezra spends his own force to double tap at PS2. If Hera is stressing the ship, Ezra gets a reroll.

With turrets flanking, Han shoots early, and both Maul and Ezra provide force mods to ion fire.

11 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

Lothal Rebel (70)
Hera Syndulla (4)
Ezra Bridger (18)
Ion Cannon Turret (6)

Lothal Rebel (70)
Maul (13)
Han Solo (Rebel) (12)
Ion Cannon Turret (6)

Total: 199

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

With turrets front, Han taps at PS7, spends a force, and dares the enemy to shoot him to get a force back before the 4 die attack at PS2. Ezra spends his own force to double tap at PS2. If Hera is stressing the ship, Ezra gets a reroll.

With turrets flanking, Han shoots early, and both Maul and Ezra provide force mods to ion fire.

I hate you just a little for making this list.  ? Crap that's a lot of red dice for just 2 ships, combined with a lot of health.  Well done.

its pretty common for any unit that is overpowered for whatever reason to suddenly become pretty meh in the next edition for any game.

Upside is they can change anything except the abilities/upgrade text on the fly in 2.0 so if a ship winds up useless it'll get tweaked.

That being said, ghost isnt useless. Its just not the "LOLYOUCANTHURTMEANDIBEATYOURFACEOFF" overpowered BS it was in the last couple waves of 1.0.

I think that this ship is going to require a lot more skill to use now. You are going to have to use your reinforce action, you will have to plan where your turret will face, and you will have to pick the remainder of your list with great care to help the ghost. 

No TLT, or heavy modification causing crew means that the skill basement has been raised for this ship.

On 8/7/2018 at 6:19 PM, BVRCH said:

Kanan with Ezra gunner, dorsal turret, Magva Yarro, Chewie and sense can still mitigate a lot of damage with reinforce. Yes its 130pts but gone are the days of the cheap bulky house tank, that mentality for the Ghost needs to be thrown out.

All in all yes the Ghost has taken a big hit, but its not useless. It was way overpowered to start with so we all need to adjust our expectations of this ship. 

True, but you don’t get your reinforce after the first turn.

TLT and autoblaster carried the VCX in 1.0. I’ve tried about a dozen different loadouts now and the result is still 2-3 rounds of fire before you’re dead. 

Cheaper is better, but only because you have to give them a better target to shoot at. They just don’t pull their weight at all. Maybe with future rebel crew they’ll get a bit more effective.

On 8/8/2018 at 10:25 AM, BDrafty said:

I think that this ship is going to require a lot more skill to use now. You are going to have to use your reinforce action, you will have to plan where your turret will face, and you will have to pick the remainder of your list with great care to help the ghost. 

No TLT, or heavy modification causing crew means that the skill basement has been raised for this ship.

The 2.0 meta right now has enough swarms that you can only get the reinforce action if someone is coordinating you. That might change or they might add a system slot. But as is you’re always better off with a couple X wings or other 3-dice generics in your VCX lists.

I’ve had the most luck with this:

"Chopper" — VCX-100 72
Magva Yarro 7
Ship Total: 79

Heff Tobber — U-Wing 45
Intimidation 3
Tactical Officer 2
"Zeb" Orrelios 1
Pivot Wing (Open) 0
Ship Total: 51

Edrio Two-Tubes — X-Wing 45
Servomotor S-foils (Open) 0
Ship Total: 45

Tala Squadron Pilot — Z-95 Headhunter 25
Ship Total: 25

You use Heff to keep Chopper reinforced. Usually I’ve found that just means they kill Heff first. If they kill Chopper early you start coordinating focus onto Edrio.

16 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Which is why you can equip 270 degrees worth of arcs.

Yea, but pointing 2-3 dice sideways doesn’t in any way justify the 80+ point cost. If you’re not firing those 4 dice primaries each turn then your efficiency is even lower than its abysmal base. 

I guess if the rest rest of your list is out of arc it might be useful to do that, but generally it’s just handing the game away.

Don't need to deal with finnicky movement if you just ion your opponent 

Potential list:

Airen (concussion)

Biggs (Biggs)

Hera (ICT, vet turret gunner, saw, magv, shield)

Hera is only 6 points over a lothal, which is kinda nuts. Don't feel the need to maximize her ability when the initiative buff is so economically priced 

Edited by ficklegreendice

You just have to build it differently; less weight to it with more stuff to shoot at beyond the ghost. I've been having decent enough success with

Hera Syndulla w/

Nien Numb

Dorsal Turret

Veteran Turret Gunner

+

AP-5 

+

Whatever remaining ships and upgrades you prefer.

Hera can arc dodge and chase fairly well with IV 5 and Nien Numb synergy. I find myself just dialing in one straight often because she can turn that into any slight maneuver at any speed and in either direction as needed. AP-5 is there solely because he is the cheapest source of coordinate and can give the Ghost reinforce even after it K-turns in 2.0, which it needs to survive with less overall health. This combo is the main engine of the list and it's cheap enough to where you can fit in a good ace, a fat Benthic with all the trimmings, or/and as many decent upgrades as you see fit. I don't think the rear arc is really worth investing points into; I don't really find myself shooting out of it very often because I'm usually slow rolling a joust or K-Turning. So yeah, if anything I'm more satisfied with the 2.0 ghost because it feels more true to what the ship is supposed to be; not the fattest TLT Y-wing on the planet.

5 hours ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

True, but you don’t get your reinforce after the first turn.

TLT and autoblaster carried the VCX in 1.0. I’ve tried about a dozen different loadouts now and the result is still 2-3 rounds of fire before you’re dead. 

Cheaper is better, but only because you have to give them a better target to shoot at. They just don’t pull their weight at all. Maybe with future rebel crew they’ll get a bit more effective.

Why is that? Due to rotating the turret? I know you do need to fly it a lot more tentatively than in 1.0, but if you plan/fly well you'll have the reinforce when you need it. 

I'm not for minute saying the Ghost is less powerful than it was in 1.0, it justifiably is, but I disagree it can't pull its own weight. It doesn't seem like I can persuade you otherwise though, so I'll leave it at that.

I'd say keep trying until you find something that works for you because I personally love the ship in general, but if its just becoming frustrating then maybe wait for future content as you said. You could also try and find a wing mate that really works for you and then build the Ghost around the points you have left. Maybe utilizing the coordinating aspect of the docked sheathipede in more of a heavy support role, I don't know.

On 8/7/2018 at 6:42 PM, mad mandolorian said:

good, the rebels dont need 2 4 red dice ships

But maybe they do:

Coordinate and Hate

(76) Hera Syndulla
(0) Ghost
(4) Dorsal Turret
Points 80

(30) AP-5
(2) Phantom
Points 32

(88) Wild Space Fringer
Points 88

Total points: 200

Init 5 turret rotating/barrel rolling for the Wild Space Fringer to be your main hitter and a reinforced slippery Ghost to back it up.

Yeah it's a stretch, Hera will be the only half-decent pilot, especially being so closely priced to the Lothal but so much better. Kanan went from the best pilot to utter garbage as for almost half your list naked he can't even use his ability on himself, put a Shuttle onboard and he can protect.... an A-wing maybe?

If folks want to dodge arcs or use side-guns, fly a Falcon.  Ghost is about beefy primary attacks.

I was trying to work out a Dutch list, get the Ghost some red dice mods (particularly Kanan), but Dutch is a bit too expensive (he should be!) to get it to look nice, IMHO.

But how about:

• Kanan Jarrus (Ion Cannon Turret, Veteran Turret Gunner) 104
  • Evaan Verlaine (Selfless, Ion Cannon Turret) 45
  • Biggs Darklighter (wearing nothing but his S-Foils and that mustache) 48
    • 3 wiggle points

Kanan is the only Ghost to get native red-dice mods while Reinforcing, Evaan can boost someone else's agility if they seem to be a target, and Biggs is Biggs.  Two damage can be pulled off the Ghost, if that gets attacked, and Evaanc an toss it agility on top of it's reinforce.  Meanwhile, you've got Ion Control going for you.  Maybe that's all too reactive.  Evaan won't know who to toss agility to until the second round of combat...

Alternately, just go Dutch with an Ezra-gunner Lothal instead of Kanan. Ghost reinforces, Ezra has the force, and Dutch gives it a TL.  Meanwhile, you'll have that Biggs & a Selfless ship to keep it safe.  It also just seems funny to me, since it's the Specters going on a Trench Run.

• Lothal Rebel (Ion Cannon Turret, Ezra Bridger) 94
  • Dutch Vander (Selfless, Ion Cannon Turret) 51
  • Biggs Darklighter (--) 48
    • 7 wiggle points, and some droids might be nice, or drop to Dorsal Turrets for Torpedos on Dutch...