Sign in to follow this  
Marinealver

Gen Con Assault?

So a couple of days ago looking for information about the Vulcan and Andorian Expansions for Star Trek Ascendancy I came across this video.

CAUTION: Language Violence

Now of course since this is table top gaming which is no where near as big as videogaming there isn't a lot of videos on this from other sources. Reddit was less then helpful with comments like "he deserved it" and "it was probably faked". I don't remember any attacks at comicon or PAX over gamergate back in the good old days of 2014 (I can't believe I actually called that year good) but I'd figure table top scene would be more cordial than the video game scene given that you are in close proximity of other players. I mean I haven't had another player from across the table claimed to slept with my obese mother yet.

Edited by Marinealver
added spoiler and mature tags and a second video with pictures

49 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

So a couple of days ago looking for information about the Vulcan and Andorian Expansions for Star Trek Ascendancy I came across this video.

CAUTION: Language Violence

Hide contents

Now of course since this is table top gaming which is no where near as big as videogaming there isn't a lot of videos on this from other sources. Reddit was less then helpful with comments like "he deserved it" and "it was probably faked". I don't remember any attacks at comicon or PAX over gamergate back in the good old days of 2014 (I can't believe I actually called that year good) but I'd figure table top scene would be more cordial than the video game scene given that you are in close proximity of other players. I mean I haven't had another player from across the table claimed to slept with my obese mother yet.

Well people seem to not like the Youtuber due to his stance on Magic, and individuals like Anita Sarkesian. Which is the reason the guy who attacked him did, considering the guy tweeted out or posted on facebook how if anyone was upset that she was there that he'd be there and ready for a fight. So, yea a rather premeditated attack on the youtuber by a vendor at Gencon, who was later seen at Gencon after the attack while being wanted by the police. And considering that the hosts of the official twitch stream banned and deleted the messages of everyone who asked about the attacker and the person assaulted as well it doesn't look great on them. Now to be fair the attack didn't happen at the event itself but rather a bar near by, but still having some guy come up to you, grab you by the shirt so you can't escape and then deliver a beat down on him, and hitting people near him until he escaped and breaking a window is far from appropriate behavior.  

I think we can agree regardless of people's views violence should not be the first response to people saying stuff online or being critical of others. 

On a brighter note considering you were looking for Star Trek Ascendency stuff, this guy took pictures of the components, in the event you hadn't already seen the stuff. Rather like the Vulcan Ambassador minis, now we just have to wait for however long it takes for the expansions to be released and hopefully we will see Dominion stuff in the next release. 

Just now, Animewarsdude said:

Well people seem to not like the Youtuber due to his stance on Magic, and individuals like Anita Sarkesian. Which is the reason the guy who attacked him did, considering the guy tweeted out or posted on facebook how if anyone was upset that she was there that he'd be there and ready for a fight. So, yea a rather premeditated attack on the youtuber by a vendor at Gencon, who was later seen at Gencon after the attack while being wanted by the police. And considering that the hosts of the official twitch stream banned and deleted the messages of everyone who asked about the attacker and the person assaulted as well it doesn't look great on them. Now to be fair the attack didn't happen at the event itself but rather a bar near by, but still having some guy come up to you, grab you by the shirt so you can't escape and then deliver a beat down on him, and hitting people near him until he escaped and breaking a window is far from appropriate behavior.  

I think we can agree regardless of people's views violence should not be the first response to people saying stuff online or being critical of others. 

On a brighter note considering you were looking for Star Trek Ascendency stuff, this guy took pictures of the components, in the event you hadn't already seen the stuff. Rather like the Vulcan Ambassador minis, now we just have to wait for however long it takes for the expansions to be released and hopefully we will see Dominion stuff in the next release. 

Yeah I saw the components and heard more information on things that were not pictured (Vulcan trade agreements). That looks crazy. I need to find the old post on STA and pull it up.

6 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

Wait, they were showing off upcoming ascendancy stuff? I was in the GF9 booth a dozen times over the weekend and never saw anything. 

Well apparently they were showing off the Vulcan and Andorian stuff, or at least people got pics of the stuff. I think it comes out some time later this year, likely will pick up the Vulcan stuff. Really love Star Trek Ascendancy, just wish it didn't take forever for them to release stuff. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2018/08/03/gen-con-indianapolis-gaming-commentator-conservative-views-punched/896816002/

Guy is an *******. I mean, he was banned from Magic for harrassment. And it looks like he is getting some support from Ethan Van Sciver, who is another *******. 

And having been a victim of such an assault, I would be extremely wary of his ability to identify the attacker. There is also some pretty weird things going on with the timing of police involvement. 

I actually know a little about this specific gentlemen since I have a few friends that are and were reps at gen con in the past.  the guy you call a ******** got perm banned from any official magic tournament for making a single comment about a certain female cosplayers attire looking like lingerie on twitter.  that was it.  wizards of the coast got wind of the tweet and removed him from any official magic event for life.  they called that harassment.  Yet the hypocrisy lies where WOTC on several occasions have employed sex offenders and criminally filed pedophiles at their official events but nothing happens to them.    so one comment can get you banned from events and yet a life of criminal activity doesn't matter especially in a family setting.  HOWEVER.  what I don't condone is the quarterings last video I do not agree with it, as he has virtually put a target on the alleged attackers places of businesses,  that is unacceptable behavior from him as he is trying to seek "justice" for being attacked. 

as for the other being an ******** I watch ethans vids, especially about starwars.  all he does is give his opinions and makes fun of the crap we are shoved in our faces from lucasfilm and the tabloid media that supports them.  and he speaks out against the SJW infected comic industry.  apparently his ideas have some traction cause he rebooted his old comic character and made over 500k$$ with indigogo.  this is about 5 times more than a comic artist makes in the business in a year.   so he may have something there to think about.   he may be a sarcastic @$$ but his is doing something right.  ill be honest I bought 2 shirts

if speaking your mind is being an ********* then I guess I am one to. but this is America, and last I checked freedom of speech is a thing in this country

10 hours ago, CushionRide said:

I actually know a little about this specific gentlemen since I have a few friends that are and were reps at gen con in the past.  the guy you call a ******** got perm banned from any official magic tournament for making a single comment about a certain female cosplayers attire looking like lingerie on twitter.  that was it.  wizards of the coast got wind of the tweet and removed him from any official magic event for life.  they called that harassment.  Yet the hypocrisy lies where WOTC on several occasions have employed sex offenders and criminally filed pedophiles at their official events but nothing happens to them.    so one comment can get you banned from events and yet a life of criminal activity doesn't matter especially in a family setting.  HOWEVER.  what I don't condone is the quarterings last video I do not agree with it, as he has virtually put a target on the alleged attackers places of businesses,  that is unacceptable behavior from him as he is trying to seek "justice" for being attacked. 

as for the other being an ******** I watch ethans vids, especially about starwars.  all he does is give his opinions and makes fun of the crap we are shoved in our faces from lucasfilm and the tabloid media that supports them.  and he speaks out against the SJW infected comic industry.  apparently his ideas have some traction cause he rebooted his old comic character and made over 500k$$ with indigogo.  this is about 5 times more than a comic artist makes in the business in a year.   so he may have something there to think about.   he may be a sarcastic @$$ but his is doing something right.  ill be honest I bought 2 shirts

if speaking your mind is being an ********* then I guess I am one to. but this is America, and last I checked freedom of speech is a thing in this country

So you disagree with sending an internet mob after someone in this case, but not in other cases. Hambly and Van Sciver have a history of it. 

And as this case has shown, internet bullies are just the same as regular bullies. Give them a taste of it and they cry and cry and cry. 

so. im curious what mob has scyver sent on someone.. ive been watching him for the past 6 months ive already stated what his vids are about.  i also watch geeks and gamers, world class bullshitters,  all of these channels openly preach doing the right thing,  use your voice, not your fists.  have open discussions.  so i dont know where you get your info.  people say things on the internet,  people use sarcasm.  how the idiots that watch these vids sometimes have their own reactions.  it doesnt always mean the youtuber is at fault.  i have never heard any of them tell me to mob walmart or wendys, or my own job or someone elses workplace.  i bet next you will tell me youve never watched his footage cause you dont like the guy,  if thats the case how do you even have an opinion.  i at least did my research

in jeremy's case of his last video he blatently said in the last quarter of his vid to have people bother his attackers places of employment.  during an investigation this is unnacceptable and will hurt his character when it comes to trial.  his attacker is suppose to be a college professor and holds political positions where he lives.  if jeremy just goes the legal route, sues him, press charges for the assault. and let the process take its coarse, the guys career will damage itself.  as for the hamley harrassing a bit more info on the girl he "harrassed"  (sorry i cant remember her name) she was a cosplayer that was known for sabotaging compedators costumes, was known for snide comments on twitter and other social media(its ok for her to harras people i guess), and like you said... cried cried cried, and got about a dozen people banned from WOTC including hamley, all hamely did was make one comment on twitter and it wasnt about her it was about cosplay does that sound fair.... no    if you also pay any attention to what happened at this convention, the indiana police have been complacent about the issue, the bar had requested that he not call the police, and gencon has put a gag order on anyone asking or commenting on the issue, to the point of banning accounts and suspending tickets.  if this happened to anyone of proper sex or race this would have hit mainstream.  the whole incident has been completely handled poorly.  no one deserves to be attacked, i dont care who it is, especially when they are just trying to go to a convention or on vacation to have a good time.  hamley deserves justice, but he may be throwing it away if he keeps going down the road he is going on.  

13 hours ago, McFoy said:

I had no idea who any of these people were prior to this thread but it peaked my curiosity. Just all around scummy from the sounds of it. YouTube needs to die so we can stop hearing about these nobodies like they matter.

https://bentcorner.com/jeremy-hambly-sue-matt-loter/

YouTube was pretty cool, but then MySpace, Facebook and Twitter came along.

I can say the person that was assaulted is not handling the situation all that well. However all those that say he deserved it or it was fake are no better than either the YouTuber or the person attacking him.

I remember the drama that circled up for Gamergate in 2004 (I was a big fan of the late Total Biscuit), then came the 2016 elections and I just can't help but notice the similarities of the dialog between the two parties as well as the escalation of hostilities. If this means anything is that escalation has ensued and I am terrified of what 2020 elections will bring.

7 hours ago, Megatronrex said:

He posted this about it last night

Yeah I see he is posting a lot of videos. Again any legal consultant will tell you if there is a pending legal situation which will likely see court (as this should be one of them) going public before is one of the worst things to do. I got ran over on my motorcycle by a drunk driver a few months ago but posting the name and background of the driver on Facebook or making a half a dozen videos was something I did not do. I get some of the frustration, if he was gay or female or not white then it would be all over CNN. But I also understand that the table top community is simply dwarfed by the video game subculture. If this happened at PAX, he wouldn't have need to make a half a dozen videos there would already be a hundred or so. But Gencon though the largest table top game convention, is no where near the size of PAX and doesn't hold a lit match to Comicon.

So we got two BinksHeads in a fight. One is bragging about it and the other is won't stop talking about it.

Just now, Marinealver said:

Yeah I see he is posting a lot of videos. Again any legal consultant will tell you if there is a pending legal situation which will likely see court (as this should be one of them) going public before is one of the worst things to do. I got ran over on my motorcycle by a drunk driver a few months ago but posting the name and background of the driver on Facebook or making a half a dozen videos was something I did not do. I get some of the frustration, if he was gay or female or not white then it would be all over CNN. But I also understand that the table top community is simply dwarfed by the video game subculture. If this happened at PAX, he wouldn't have need to make a half a dozen videos there would already be a hundred or so. But Gencon though the largest table top game convention, is no where near the size of PAX and doesn't hold a lit match to Comicon.

So we got two BinksHeads in a fight. One is bragging about it and the other is won't stop talking about it.

Oh yeah I agree with you 100%. I think things have gone way too far when people think it's ok to go around assaulting someone just because you don't agree with their politics. That being said I think Jeremy was stupid to give the guys name and business info out. I understand that he was emotional and worked up after it happened but you got to be calm and let the law do its thing. I think the first comment in the video where he first did that was something along those lines too.

"So we got two BinksHeads in a fight. One is bragging about it and the other is won't stop talking about it." Yep pretty much. Gotta love the internet.

13 hours ago, Marinealver said:

Again any legal consultant will tell you if there is a pending legal situation which will likely see court (as this should be one of them) going public before is one of the worst things to do.

Do you have professional legal advise about this specific case?  

I got ran over on my motorcycle by a drunk driver a few months

Sorry that this happened to you.  However, just as every legal case, your case is completely and utterly different than what happened to Jeremy.  In your case, I assume the following:

• The accident was not premeditated
  • The accident was not politically motivated
  • It was an ACCIDENT

Lets take Jeremy's case:

• The alleged crime was PREMEDITATED
  • The alleged crime was politically motivated
  • The alleged crime was assault and battery

So we got two BinksHeads in a fight.

This is FALSE.  Please stop spreading lies and defamation. 

This was not a fight in all accords.  This was a pre-mediated assault and battery.  Please have some respect for the victim of a crime.  As you stated, if the victim was a women, you and others would have a completely different view.  Which means you are being sexist.

5 hours ago, Lace Jetstreamer said:

As you stated, if the victim was a women, you and others would have a completely different view.

Are we talking a girl scout leader or Ann Coulter?

Sometimes when people talk **** all day, they eventually get hit by someone who can't handle themselves.

8 minutes ago, McFoy said:

Considering this scumbag 

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/08/09/california-anti-trump-protester-gets-probation-for-assault/

Only got probation and it was pretty high profile then there is no reason to expect anything to come out of this incident.

Ultimately both of them are just playing it up for attention.

A measly three years probation for what that f***er did is absolutely absurd. There's still a civil suit to come for bikelock boy though. Hopefully that'll be far less forgiving.

Well the latest news is the college dropped the accused from his job. So hopefully this incident can be put to rest (and no further incidents happen as 2020 draws closer).

Well I don't see a need to bump this so I'm just doing an edit here.

Can't say that I'm surprised, I am certain the majority fault belongs to the other guy, but I wont call one side 100% innocent. 

Edited by Marinealver
news update