Sign in to follow this  
Krysmopompas

Exploration deck in Boundary Beyond - shuffle?

The way I would interpret the rules is that you only shuffle the exploration deck if you've drawn and set aside a location that didn't meet the criteria for putting it into play.  Then you shuffle those cards into the deck.

If you just draw a single location and can put it into play, or just draw a treachery, you don't shuffle.

From the Forgotten Age rules:

Explore

Some abilities in this campaign are identified with an Explore action designator. Such abilities are generally used to find new locations to put into play, and are initiated using the “activate” action. Explore abilities instruct you to draw the top card of the “exploration deck,” which is a separate deck that is constructed during the setup of some scenarios. This deck consists of several single-sided locations and treachery cards.

Æ Each Explore ability indicates a particular type of location that you are seeking to draw. If a location of that type is drawn, it is put into play, and you move to that location. This is considered a “successful” exploration.

Æ If any other location is drawn, place it next to the exploration deck, and draw the next card from the exploration deck. Repeat this process until a location of the indicated type is drawn, or a treachery is drawn. After this action has ended, shuffle each location next to the exploration deck back into the exploration deck.

Æ If a treachery card is drawn, it is resolved as normal. If it is discarded, place it in the encounter discard pile as you would normally. There is no discard pile for the exploration deck. This is considered an “unsuccessful” exploration.

Æ As a single-sided location is put into play from the exploration deck, place clues on that location equal to its clue value.

It’s worth noting for future reference that rules affecting the whole campaign (like Explore and Supplies) are in the main campaign guide from the deluxe expansion. Not everything is contained in the scenario rules sheet. 

13 hours ago, Krysmopompas said:

Hey I’m assuming you shuffle after every draw from the exploration deck in the Boundary scenario, but it doesn’t specifically say it in the Boundary document. Anyone know?

just for clarification: if i discover the same location again, it keeps all of its clues but the conditions change under which i can discover them, right?

Also, do discovered locations have to be connected to where my investigator is located? It seems like in The Boundary Beyond this does not need be the case

2 hours ago, Raahk said:

Also, do discovered locations have to be connected to where my investigator is located? It seems like in The Boundary Beyond this does not need be the case

The wording on Explore actions in Boundary Beyond is "a location with a matching location symbol in its upper-left corner", so connectivity isn't at issue. Unfortunately it doesn't explicitly say what it's supposed to match (in this case, every location will match somewhere), but the intent seems to be that it must match the location from which you are performing the action.

8 hours ago, Raahk said:

just for clarification: if i discover the same location again, it keeps all of its clues but the conditions change under which i can discover them, right?

Normally when you explore, you are looking for locations connected to your present location.  In the case of Boundary, you are looking for an "ancient" version of your current location.  That takes the place, and covers up the bottom cards text.  All clues, doom, and enemies transfer with you.  Also, as mentioned earlier, you treat all successfully explored locations as revealed locations.  Place clues on the locations, and treat all text as valid.

13 hours ago, Raahk said:

The only problem here is this cannot happen in this scenario unless the location has converted back to its present day location first as only the present day location provides an Explore action to use. But in this case, you would treat it as revealing it for the first time including placing the new clues.

The Explore action provided will give you the specific details on which locations you are trying to reveal. The default is that it must be a location that is connected to your present location and if successful, you immediately move to the new location as part of the Explore action. In Boundary Beyond, you must reveal a matching location and it is placed on top of and completely replaces your current location(also be aware of the connections as the Ancient locations in this scenario connect to different locations than the present day locations).

Yeah, it's a tricky one. The explore rules in the deluxe rule sheet are a bit vague, precisely for this: successful exploration is defined by the action. To then complicate things, the first two times it was used (Untamed Wilds and Doom of Eztli) it behaved identically (hunt for a connecting location). Then in The Boundary Beyond we have explore on the locations, rather than the act/agenda, and 'success' is different, too! All in all, lots of pitfalls!