Darth Sanguis

Front page battle report: SSD

3 minutes ago, BrobaFett said:

no, not for your benefit. More for the people who are kitting it out as a gunship and then maligning it.

Gotcha. Yeah it's definitely a carrier. The term that comes to mind actually is "Super carrier". 

All I can picture is this bad boy:

JRUuo4E.gif

32 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

You don't have to sell me on this point. lol Like I said in the OP, this version definitely needs it's fighters... preferably bombers. I wouldn't have won my match without 'em. 

Six squadrons of TIE Defenders.  ?

Revised list... I took out DCOs for a wing commander...

Oprah O'Bombers 
Author: Darth Sanguis

Faction: Galactic Empire

Commander: Moff Jerjerrod

Assault Objective: Precision Strike
Defense Objective: Capture the VIP
Navigation Objective: Superior Positions

[ flagship ] Star Dreadnought Command Prototype (220 points)
-  Moff Jerjerrod  ( 23  points) 
-  Minister Tua  ( 2  points) 
-  Captain Brunson  ( 5  points) 
-  Wing Commander  ( 6  points) 
-  Gunnery Team  ( 7  points) 
-  Boosted Comms  ( 4  points) 
-  Electronic Countermeasures  ( 7  points) 
-  X17 Turbolasers  ( 6  points) 
-  Leading Shots  ( 4  points) 
= 284 total ship cost

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)
 Suppressor  ( 4  points) 
-  Bomber Command Center  ( 8  points) 
= 35 total ship cost

1 Colonel Jendon ( 20 points) 
1 Maarek Steele ( 21 points) 
4 TIE Bomber Squadrons ( 36 points) 
= 77 total squadron cost

Just now, svelok said:

why does this keep happening to people that play against me

Because slicer tools is a devastating blow to a carrier. Even though I screwed up my commands, maneuvering, and most of my squad game, looking back, had I had 3 rounds of 6 bombers it would not have been so close. Outright. 

Thanks for the base template Darth Sanguis!  Already printed it out and gave it my own dry run of a game. 

As other people have commentated so far, the guns really aren't that much to write home about (it's an ISD II) but the noteworthy thing for me is how the SSD forces its opponent to play aggressively.  With such a large footprint you're looking at turn one shots being traded, turn one tokens being grabbed and a solid 1/2 the board that finds itself threatened at any given time.   If you try to wait till later in the game to push damage the SSD is just way too tanky to bring down.

Edited by hulldown

11 hours ago, hulldown said:

Thanks for the base template Darth Sanguis!  Already printed it out and gave it my own dry run of a game. 

As other people have commentated so far, the guns really aren't that much to write home about (it's an ISD II) but the noteworthy thing for me is how the SSD forces its opponent to play aggressively.  With such a large footprint you're looking at turn one shots being traded, turn one tokens being grabbed and a solid 1/2 the board that finds itself threatened at any given time.   If you try to wait till later in the game to push damage the SSD is just way too tanky to bring down.

That's an interesting point I hadn't really thought of. I suppose that's all the more reason this thing needs a dedicated squadron wing. If the SSD is gonna have any deployment advantage it's gonna need a gozzer and some squads for sure.  

18 minutes ago, Thraug said:

Deciding not to have the SSD as Large, I'm not sure why they just didn't make it 2 Large bases instead of that oddball thingy.

Technically it is 2 large bases the token just extends over the empty space between them lol. 

21 minutes ago, Thraug said:

Deciding not to have the SSD as Large, I'm not sure why they just didn't make it 2 Large bases instead of that oddball thingy.

Probably for balance. And I mean that in the sense of 'won't topple over when I nudge the table' rather than 'makes my opponent rage-quit'.

This is what I've come up with after riffing off of @BrobaFett's fleet:

Analog 
Author: svelok

Assault Objective: Most Wanted
Defense Objective: Contested Outpost
Navigation Objective: Solar Corona

-  Agent Kallus  ( 3  points) 
-  Skilled First Officer  ( 1  points) 
-  Ruthless Strategists  ( 4  points) 
-  Quad Laser Turrets  ( 5  points) 
= 265 total ship cost

= 31 total ship cost

1 "Mauler" Mithel ( 15 points) 
5 TIE Bomber Squadrons ( 45 points) 
= 101 total squadron cost

3 minutes ago, svelok said:

This is what I've come up with after riffing off of @BrobaFett's fleet:

Analog 
Author: svelok

Assault Objective: Most Wanted
Defense Objective: Contested Outpost
Navigation Objective: Solar Corona

-  Agent Kallus  ( 3  points) 
-  Skilled First Officer  ( 1  points) 
-  Ruthless Strategists  ( 4  points) 
-  Quad Laser Turrets  ( 5  points) 
= 265 total ship cost

= 31 total ship cost

1 "Mauler" Mithel ( 15 points) 
5 TIE Bomber Squadrons ( 45 points) 
= 101 total squadron cost

That looks pretty ruthless

Ran a couple of experiments of our own last night with this, printer was broken but improvised using the measurements on the PDF provided by @Darth Sanguis.

The weapons on it are... alright. It's more the threat range, and sheer resilience of something this size. 

Game one Jerjerrod was only used the once (I did slow to speed 0  for a couple of turns to mess with my opponents approach though). DCO absolutely shut down Sato's long-range hammerheads, as did the fantastic selection of defence tokens. Gunnery Teams was fantastic, without it I'm sure it would have felt very outnumbered but with it there wasn't a problem.

Game two I stepped back to watch and another player took over the SSD, running the same list but with Tagge instead of JJ. Yup, you read that right, Tagge! We'd started thinking even before the previous game that recharging those defence tokens could come in useful and he sure took full advantage of it, choosing to burn tokens at the end of turns 2 and 4, and finishing the game on a full set of 6! Sato changed up his approach, so Gunnery Teams was good but less useful than last time. Different obstacle setup made Brunson a bit of an MVP this time.

List for both games (with the only change being the commander) was http://armadawarlords.hivelabs.solutions/view_list.php?token=188133&key=ab93d775a74e0f04f217b10ee89c8841 

In both games we found the sheer number of shields the SSD offers to be a major part of its strength. 20 shields, with 2 redirects and the ability to regen 3 or move 6 a turn with an engineering command is disheartening to your opponent. On the subject of commands, engineering was pretty key. Your opponent can spend all turn trying to burn through the 6 shields on the front, then you just bring them all back from the aux arcs that are miles away from the action. Defence Liason wasn't getting used, but I suspect if you're not running Thrawn then some kind of command manipulation will be pretty important.

It may sound weird, but i think Tagge and Redundant Shields may really have a place on the SSD. Given that you will be in combat Round 2 for sure and that probably everthing in your opponents fleet will want to fire on your SSD...

Also, as someone who has flown the Projections Experts Arquitens a few times i think that might probably be the best ship to pair the SSD with in 400 points. The Arq can fly parallel to the SSD and attack everything from the rear that gets into the SSD's side arcs. Also, Hand of Justice is a solid choice, especially combined with Tagge. Those braces just won't go away!