Sign in to follow this  
Greebwahn

Vulture Droid Concept

1 hour ago, mithril2098 said:

considered they are about the size of an A-wing, i don't see why you'd need to do multiples per base.

at most they'll just be cheap enough you can fly a bunch of generics in a single force, similar to a TIE swarm.

I know there's a lot of debate about how big the A-Wing actually is (a nice explanation of some of the arguments) but based on how it's being used next to other models in X-Wing, they either up-scaled it or it's over 2.5 meters larger than a vulture droid (9.6 meters vs 6.96 meters).

So either the vulture droids should also be up-scaled to match up-scaling of the RZ1 or the vulture droids should remain puny looking next to other fighters.

We really have no idea how they're going to handles this but I'm kind of hopeful for tiny vultures (but not on tiny bases, barf).

EDIT: Someone pointed out in another thread that it looks like the RZ2 was increased in size for the miniature to make it look about the same as the RZ1. They may as well do that for these fighters as well, I suppose.

Edited by Ixidor

49 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Also my suggested dial only has basic maneuvers. Maybe a red 5k could be added, but it does have a fairly limited dial in my suggestion.

I would think that a droid fighter with no living creature on board would have a higher tolerance for the g-forces of complex turns. I'll have to go back and watch the battles they're in to see if they do anything much fancy. Maybe they were not programmed well enough to do cool stunts.

9 minutes ago, Ixidor said:

I would think that a droid fighter with no living creature on board would have a higher tolerance for the g-forces of complex turns. I'll have to go back and watch the battles they're in to see if they do anything much fancy. Maybe they were not programmed well enough to do cool stunts.

I don't remember the Vulture droid doing anything more fancy than a barrel roll. It doesn't mean they can't, my suggestion was based on what I've seen and read only. :)

2 hours ago, mithril2098 said:

considered they are about the size of an A-wing, i don't see why you'd need to do multiples per base.

at most they'll just be cheap enough you can fly a bunch of generics in a single force, similar to a TIE swarm.

I posted this on another thread, but I feel the notion that Vultures are tiny needs to be dispelled ;)  To my eyeballs they're just slightly smaller than a TIE/ln:

Related image

4 minutes ago, mcintma said:

I posted this on another thread, but I feel the notion that Vultures are tiny needs to be dispelled ;)  To my eyeballs they're just slightly smaller than a TIE/ln:

Related image

This is absolutely correct! About 7 meters long, whereas a TIE is about 7.5 meters long in the new canon and more like 6 meters in legends. 

1 hour ago, mithril2098 said:

whipped up a quick size compare..

apologies for the black outline bits, i couldn't find a high enough quality line art drawing with the right angles.

as soon as i can find a TIE fighter image i'll try to add that in.

Starfighter Compare.png

wTcvMFw.png

9.6 is still incorrect and always will be.

53 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

wTcvMFw.png

9.6 is still incorrect and always will be.

We can argue about it forever but we do know that the RZ2 looks to be scaled up to match what's closer to 9.6 in the RZ1 miniature. I think it's reasonable to scale this and the Jedi fighters to make for a more workable miniature game without going into new base sizes or flotillas.

Edited by Ixidor

6 minutes ago, Bucknife said:

Gonna throw this out there...

We've heard the Devs say that they never want more than 8 bases on a squad. 

That basically forces vultures into needing to be multi-models per base, and maybe even swappable between small/meduim/large base versions of the mini swarm.

No it doesn't. It means they need to make sure 8 Vultures are worth the cost for each base.... Getting sick of people assuming Vultures are tiny tinfoil constructs.........

9 hours ago, Vineheart01 said:

other problem would be unique pilots.

They cant just be flat PS2 generics. But because they arent piloted (the droid IS the ship) theres no "elite pilot" for them. Anything better than a vulture droid would be a vulturedroid variant and possibly not even the same ship technically.

If they did the multi-ship to a base thing then it could be specialized squads as a "pilot" but i dunno if that was even a  thing.

They could sort of treat it like IG-88 and have them at a set Initiative but give them abilities based off their programming. Stuff like Aggressive programming, Defensive programming, Cluster Protocol. 

7 hours ago, mithril2098 said:

Because it would look cool?

4 hours ago, Kieransi said:

So for the Armada-aware, if Vultures become flotillas...

"TWO WORDS, X-WING PLAYERS...

SCATTER TOKEN"

Scatter Action....

11 hours ago, mithril2098 said:

Galaxy full of aliens, and no one wants to admit that maybe the pilot was from a 3 meter tall race..

The jokes on you Vulture Droids this entire time have just been a bunch of Buzz Droids standing on top of each other wearing a trench coat!

Edited by Animewarsdude

Size of the miniature doesn't have any gameplay effects, as I see it the only consideration here is an economic one - will people be willing to pay 20 USD for such a tiny miniature? Considering that for FFG difference between a normal Vulture and a 50% bigger one (or just two in a box) is negligible, it's just cheap plastic, I'm afraid they will make the small ships of the prequels bigger than they should be.

I'd like to see two Vultures on a small base purely for thematic reasons, but what works for the super swarmy Vulture doesn't fit 5.5m long Actis or Tri-fighter.

10 minutes ago, eMeM said:

Size of the miniature doesn't have any gameplay effects, as I see it the only consideration here is an economic one - will people be willing to pay 20 USD for such a tiny miniature? Considering that for FFG difference between a normal Vulture and a 50% bigger one (or just two in a box) is negligible, it's just cheap plastic, I'm afraid they will make the small ships of the prequels bigger than they should be.

I'd like to see two Vultures on a small base purely for thematic reasons, but what works for the super swarmy Vulture doesn't fit 5.5m long Actis or Tri-fighter.

They're paying it for the Fang, which is about the same size.  PRobably slightly longer, but the wings/guns on the Vulture are deeper than the Fang Fighter.  The Vulture isn't THAT small it's negligibly different in length from a TIE Fighter.

1 minute ago, Engine25 said:

They're paying it for the Fang, which is about the same size.  PRobably slightly longer, but the wings/guns on the Vulture are deeper than the Fang Fighter.  The Vulture isn't THAT small it's negligibly different in length from a TIE Fighter.

One dimension alone doesn't pain the whole picture. For the Vulture length is all thee is, it's flimsy and narrow, unlike a TIE with its huge side panels or Fang and its wings and more bulky fuselage. And Vulture is big compared to Eta and Tri-fighter.

I don't have a Fang, but looking at the pictures it seems to be larger than it should be, can anyone measure it?

14 hours ago, markcsoul said:

Will they be the brown/olive ones of TPM, or the blue/gray ones of ROTS/CW?  I'm guessing the latter.

I'm hoping for and expecting the latter. The ones in TPM could arguably be called a different version since they relied on the Droid Control Ship, where later deployments didn't have that limitation.

Plus the TPM ones were operated only by the Trade Federation where the later deployments were the separatist CIS and did not seem to have the same limitation (though DCS were still used later on, my reading of it is the individual droids could still operate independently but the DCS was able to better coordinate, I could be wrong).