Sign in to follow this  
ricoratso

Gungans in Legion

So with the announcement with the Clone Wars being added to Legion we have a whole slew of content that is able to be added.

My personal favorite race out of all of Star Wars is the Gungans. Everything about them is just wonderful. Sure Jar Jar rubbed some people the wrong way, but the rest of the Gungans were incredibly cool. The addition of them to Legion would make for an incredibly special and unique army. An army heavily focused on both mounts over vehicles and melee weapons over ranged weapons.

For starters we have a few generals. We can obviously have generic commanders like we now see, but we also have Boss Nass who could act like a completely "religious" commander. He could have very weak attacks and defense, but could make up for that with massive buffs he could give to other troop units such as extremely high courage or aim/dodge tokens. We see Jar Jar who could use his clumsiness and overall goofy characteristics to make his command cards act similarly. "Uncanny Luck" can give troops in range rerolls on defense or an extra dodge token or maybe even auto cover. The movies and Clone Wars tv show portray him as a "humorously intimidating" character so there could be a ton of stuff around him. Finally, we have my favorite Gungan leader: Roos Tarpals. The guy as an ABSOLUTE MADMAN. He single-handedly took on General Grievous. He also has some wonderful quotes such as "Ouch time" like wow. Best character in Star Wars. He can have an actual presence on the battlefield and could possibly be a mounted commander seeing as he rides a Kaadu in episode 1.

We also see plenty of unique trooper units. Firstly, in the film we see that Gungans "generally" use less advanced weapons and weapons that aren't necessarily ranged. We see Gungans using a ton of different Booma weapons. They have atlatls, slings, and cestas (with booma) which all aid them in throwing and using Boomas better. The Booma weapons are made of some form of energy that specificly destroys vehicles and mechanical enemies (droids). Obviously, we can't have them just annihilate droid armies every time their on the board, but they can do some heavy damage to vehicles by possibly making all of their weapons ion 1 or something similar unique to them. We also see them using regular melee weapons such as cestas (without booma) and swords. They have shields as well which could give their units red defense dice or white with surges. These different weapons could make two different corps unit; one that has ranged boomas and one that uses melee weapons.

From here we can move onto some of the vehicles/mounts of the Gungan army. We have a TON. There are numerous unit types that can be pulled from both canon and non-canon that could possibly be used. Firstly we have the most obvious, the Kaadu. They were the amphibious bird-looking creatures that were used as mounts for the Gungan army. Taming a Kaadu was a rite of passage for the Gungans so it makes sense that so many of them could be used. Gungans used them as fast cavalry with cestas and could be a group of 2 or 3 that act similarly to 74-Z in that they are fast and can pack some damage, except these guys are melee rather than ranged. Similar to Kaadus we have Swifts, which are large and limber reptilians. They were extremely fast and could leap great bounds and were used as scouts by the Gungans. These guys could have 3 speed as well as the ability to cross dangerous terrain or be able to clamber without being hindered. We also see the Gungans use Fambaas, which were the large reptiles with the shield generator backs. In a obviously non-canon video game (but when has canon mattered to FFG) called Galactic Battlegrounds we see Fambaas carrying shield generators OR large cannons that shoot big green energy balls instead of Boomas. These guys can either be troop transports (should we ever receive those) or portable shield generators. That could work in a way that units in range 1 of the Fambaa gets an extra defense die or gets a better defense die when being attacked by units outside of that range 1. We also see air support which we haven't even seen yet in Legion. Aiwha were seen on Kamino in Episode II, but did you know they are native to Naboo? I didn't think so, but THEY ARE. And the Gungans used these guys as flying bombers and air support. They could act like repulsor vehicles but be at a higher elevation meaning they are unhindered by any terrain. They could also hover and sit without having to take compulsory movement sin the beginning of their turn because their living animals that can sit in the air.

Finally we see the artillery of the Grand Gungan Army. Whizboomas, as they are called, are catapults that launch Boomas at long range. So they can shoot far but can't shoot launch at closer troops rendering them super powerful in the first few rounds, but then fall short after a while. They're also mobile so they can possibly find more use in later rounds.

Okay so sorry about that but I mean the Gungans are really ******* fantastic.

TLDR: I really like Gungans, Understand they get a bad rep, but would love to see them in Legion.

What other races would you like to see made into Legion?

5 minutes ago, Red Castle said:

Oh man... I can't wait for the inevitable confrontation between the Gungans and the Ewoks!

Placing my bet on the Gungans only if Captain Tarpals is leading them

Seriously! Roos Tarpals is a god among Gungan.

I’d go for a squad or two of Gungans but not a whole army. 

Some crazy customs of them painted up all dark and menacing would be grand. Or feral like with droid parts and Separatist body parts hanging from their waist and mounts.

13 hours ago, BlueSquadronPilot said:

Not so much a new race but new sub-faction/units for the Royal Naboo.

Yes. I can't see them getting enough SKU's all at once to make a new faction. I could forsee a corps, a commander, and a support unit, allowing diehards to make lists but that's about it. They don't have the broad appeal to sell enough models as their own army.

I don't know. I could see eventually enough units for a whole faction.

You'd have Capt Tarpals, Boss Nass, and Jar-Jar(sadly) as commanders. Militiagungs with Boomas and Gungun Guards with Shields as two Corps options. Kaadu Cavalry as a support choice. Gungun battlewagons as a heavy choice.

There was enough stuff in the Phantom Menace to pull a faction out of. More if you go to the Galactic Battlegrounds computer game.

11 minutes ago, BadMotivator said:

There was enough stuff in the Phantom Menace to pull a faction out of. More if you go to the Galactic Battlegrounds computer game.

That was never my contention. My expectation is that they don't have the broad appeal to sell enough models, to payback the cost of making the molds, as their own army. Particularly not compared to other as yet unreleased units for various factions. It's about how far FFG can spread their resources.

while you could make gungans a full army i highly doubt that'd happen. Atleast on their own anyway, i could see enough units to just have a full list of them anyway but still Republic in faction.

And yes, i love gungans. My favorite destiny list atm is Boss Nass, 2 gungan warriors, and elite Jarjar lol. Such a fun deck!

I’ll to try that deck out soon.

6 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

And yes, i love gungans. My favorite destiny list atm is Boss Nass, 2 gungan warriors, and elite Jarjar lol. Such a fun deck!

43 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

while you could make gungans a full army i highly doubt that'd happen. Atleast on their own anyway, i could see enough units to just have a full list of them anyway but still Republic in faction.

That's more what I think we'll see. One corps, one commander, one support unit of some kind.

If you are a deep cut fan you will collect 6 of that corps unit and 3 of that support unit and play them as an army. But mostly they'll be provided with the intent of being useful allies in the light side lists.

Gungan warriors for troops
Gungan Riders for elites (whatever that thing was they rode)
Boss Nass or Tobler Ceel (you know, the "Usa da booma!" guy) for Commander
Jarjar....operative if he even exists.
Gungan Catapults for Support/Heavy Support (not sure which they'd be better as since theyre pretty big but are an artillery piece not a vehicle)

5 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Gungan warriors for troops
Gungan Riders for elites (whatever that thing was they rode)
Boss Nass or Tobler Ceel (you know, the "Usa da booma!" guy) for Commander
Jarjar....operative if he even exists.
Gungan Catapults for Support/Heavy Support (not sure which they'd be better as since theyre pretty big but are an artillery piece not a vehicle)

i think the Gungan Riders would fit the support slot better than elite as it fits better with the bikes/ATRT than commandos.

True.

Elites could just be beefed out warriors i guess. I dont think the gungans had many unit types, just warriors/riders/catapult crew and slingers.

Guess the Slingers could be an alternate troop, or the troop and warriors as elites? They didnt have any guns they just threw boomas

At the very least we are bound to see at minimum a gungan operative and a warriors squad, troop or elite no idea. The battle of naboo was technically pre-clone war, but Gungans did exist in the Clone Wars series just not as main characters.

Edited by Vineheart01

Yeah maybe we will see a special forces type unit of Gungans, but a whole army is doubtful. There's just so many more options out of the "clone wars" era that I feel they will hit first. Especially since the battle of Naboo took place before the actual start of the clone wars

1 hour ago, lukecook said:

Yeah maybe we will see a special forces type unit of Gungans, but a whole army is doubtful. There's just so many more options out of the "clone wars" era that I feel they will hit first. Especially since the battle of Naboo took place before the actual start of the clone wars

It's nothing about what to hit first, I'm just saying hopefully eventually it would be really pleasant to see. As well as, I hope they mean prequel era rather than just the clone wars tv show. A lot of great content in episode 1 and 3 that could be added into Legion well

I think all of the prequels will be used as there is just so many things from The Phantom Menace that would work well in Legion.  In the same way I expect that things from rogue one and Rebels will be used even though they weren't technically part of the Galactic civil war.