Lyraeus

Why Generic Officer Commanders don't bother me

So thinking about the new Officer commanders and Boba Fett... He is going to limit the overall use of those because he can take those down fast. Thus giving victory tokens. It's not an "all the time" thing but in a win/lose game, that free victory toke  is going to swing games! Who says you need to toss the bounty on Luke or Han

They dont bother me at all, especially once the real upgrades kick in.

Eventually we will have generic force users as well and next thing you know you're able to make the most killiest of killers the galaxy has ever seen. 

And you can name him,  Bob.

All hail the dark lord of the Sith, Lord Bob.

1 hour ago, Rmills228 said:

And you can name him,  Bob.

All hail the dark lord of the Sith, Lord Bob. 

Ahem, that's "Darth Bob" to you.  He finds your lack of formality disturbing.

Edited by 1voice2many

50 minutes ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

Personally I doubt I will use the generic commanders, but I am glad that the people who do want them are getting what they asked for!  I just hope that ffg listens to the people who want scum.  I need dengar and some gammoreans.

They are interesting secondary commanders with a lighter effect at a cheaper value. It allows people to save points but at a risk

I think they will mostly see use next to other more powerful commanders like Vader or paired with points heavy Operatives like Fett.  It will be more of a back-up commander that gives your troops extra panic protection.  When I just run Veers solo I feel like I am already taking a huge risk when a single speeder activation, or Luke can just pounce on him and kill him.  The generics will be even weaker.

I think it depends. Imagine operatives with some amazing cards that makes you want to save points. 

I like an Imperial Officer with Palpy or Vader because it's cheap veers that allows me to take Boba and not have conflicting command cards. 

It's interesting 

4 hours ago, srMontresor said:

Now that we know that generic commanders will be in, I think it's reasonable to expect we'll get generic operatives.

Maybe? That one is a little tougher because a Operative stikes me more as a Special Forces slot if it doesn't come with unique command cards...

46 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Maybe? That one is a little tougher because a Operative stikes me more as a Special Forces slot if it doesn't come with unique command cards...

True, but I could see ways for generic operatives to have those. To take an admittedly unlikely example, an Imperial Probe Droid could have a self-destruct command card.

1 hour ago, srMontresor said:

True, but I could see ways for generic operatives to have those. To take an admittedly unlikely example, an Imperial Probe Droid could have a self-destruct command card.

Fair, but that could also be a unit specific triggered action, which would better allow for multiple Imperial Probe Droids.

i thought the officers box were unit additives not generic commanders? As in, unit upgrade special figure stuff

i'd be kinda surprised to see generic commanders over leia/veers. Theyre already pretty cheap and highly versatile

Edited by Vineheart01

18 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

i thought the officers box were unit additives not generic commanders? As in, unit upgrade special figure stuff

i'd be kinda surprised to see generic commanders over leia/veers. Theyre already pretty cheap and highly versatile

they are both, they can be a generic commander or a unit leader

44 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

I  Imperial lists having veers and veers light is pretty good 

Its not the generic commander thats the issue, its the ability to use them as unit leaders. I really like the fact that we have two new character models. I want the releases to be a mix of classic and new to keep things fresh and enable new battles, plots, stories etc... I also really love the box sets enabling the buffering of existing units, in principle. However will unit leaders be OP, or at least the best thing to do? 

The problem for me is the unit leader. Its a problem for 2 reasons. 

1) the sculpts don't lend themselves to multiples. specifically the rebel one. it will look odd with that sculpt at the lead of multiple units that could also be different. e.g. leading a unit of rebel troopers and next to them leading a unit of fleet troopers. As a one of commander who would be played as a back-line support unit, he would look ok, but multiples. I really wish the kits would come with a few alternative heads or arms and allow some variety. I was very disappointed with the rebel troopers. I play miniature games because, well I like to create scenes that look like the type of things you may see in a movie. They are not even that easy to mod. 

2) the biggest potential issue is the game play. I may be wrong here. Not play tested, but multiples of these guys actually feels the most points effective thing to do. The problem with core is that they are easily effected by suppression. You need a commander to keep them from panicking. You take a Vader only army and Vader dies because, well you need him out front killing stuff and that puts him in harms way, watch your army start to panic.  Its why Leia & Luke works so well.  Take Snow Troopers, my understanding is that you take to 20 point leader instead of the 12 point additional model. So the unit leader is actually an 8 pt upgrade card that grants inspire 1 and plus 1 courage (i.e. to 2) with the condition you take an extra guy. That's a bloody good upgrade card. Here the problem - lets say I want to field 3 core snow troopers (the rest are not core in the army for this example). My best option to to buy 3 unit leaders. Its 60 points, but actually its only 24 points, because 36 points is the 3 extra troopers (i.e. 3 extra guys).  So its a 50 point commander and 3 units of snow-troopers without extra guy vs 60 point unit leaders that grant additional guy.  However with individual unit leaders the snow troopers are much better than they would be if buffered by the unit leader. You have 3 units of snow-troopers who have courage 2, they are now far less likely to lose an action because of suppression and the 1st suppression is actually a benefit because it grants cover.  They also have inspire 3 among them, improving the 2 action activation chance further.  Snow troopers are suddenly much better. If you want to get to the price of veers you can take 4.5 officers, buffering 4.5 core units or even specials.  Amazing!! Or have I got this wrong. 

Edited by Winter79
spelling

2 minutes ago, Winter79 said:

1) the sculpts don't lend themselves to multiples. specifically the rebel one. it will look odd with that sculpt at the lead of multiple units that could also be different. e.g. leading a unit of rebel troopers and next to them leading a unit of fleet troopers. As a one of commander who would be played as a back-line support unit, he would look ok, but multiples. I really wish the kits would come with a few alternative heads or arms and allow some variety. I was very disappointed with the rebel troopers. I play miniature games because well I like to create scenes that look like the type of things you may see in a movie. They are not even that easy to mod. 

So the main reason that this (lack of customization in general, multi-uses for the same model) is a potential issue is moreso the lack of rules in regards to distance between friendly models. Unless each model has an indication of what unit they belong to, there is the possibility of swapping models between units, either by accident or maliciously. Also, there is the possibility of swapping the unit leader with a commander, teleporting the unit move 1. 

1 hour ago, Caimheul1313 said:

So the main reason that this (lack of customization in general, multi-uses for the same model) is a potential issue is moreso the lack of rules in regards to distance between friendly models. Unless each model has an indication of what unit they belong to, there is the possibility of swapping models between units, either by accident or maliciously. Also, there is the possibility of swapping the unit leader with a commander, teleporting the unit move 1. 

I don't know I mean 3rd party heads are already available and paint jobs are an easy way to differentiate them. I kind of think part of the reason for choosing Gideon was that he's hard to confuse for the current trooper or fleet squad leader models. See also: them deciding not to use a stormtrooper officer for the imperials.

2 hours ago, Winter79 said:

my understanding is that you take to 20 point leader instead of the 12 point additional model. So the unit leader is actually an 8 pt upgrade card that grants inspire 1 and plus 1 courage (i.e. to 2) with the condition you take an extra guy. That's a bloody good upgrade card. 

I thought it was replace, but it is add, so your math looks correct. It will be interesting to see if this is OP or a nice upgrade option. I was looking at adding the officer to support units that are not that close to my primary commander, to prevent being suppressed off of the table early in the game.

I actually think that the officer upgrade would be good for units away from your commander as it allows units to clear stress easier, plus makes the unit its attached to harder to panic.