Sign in to follow this  
Zeoinx

Clone War Fighter Speculation (Republic)

51 minutes ago, mazz0 said:

I may be wrong, but don’t lots of ships canonically have ion but this isn’t represented in X-Wing?  I don’t think it’s a defining characteristic of either Jedi Starfighter.

Also, why would the Actis be cheaper than the Aethersprite?  I figured it was either an upgrade or just meant for a different role.

Its a shame but I have to agree, two ARCs plus two top notch Jedi is probably too expensive for standard play.

Given their size, I can see them selling the Jedi Starfighters in pairs.  Perhaps the same for the N1, possibly also including Rebel pilots.  Speaking of the N1 - the Republic version of the X-Wing?  Really?  Surely it’s weaker, softer and faster?

Let's see

Delta-7

Pros

- Has shields

- Customization options (mainly from Legends)

- Possible Delta-7B as variant or only version used, with higher hull and proper astromech slot

- More armor

- Also possibility of Anakin's heavily customized version or prototype version (shown as a small model in TCW)

Cons

- No proper astromech (except Delta-7B and possibly other variants) - this might setup the integrated astromech as the ship ability

- Less firepower

Eta-2 Actis

Pros

- More weaponry

- Proper astromech slot

- Faster and more maneuverable than the Delta-7 (according to wookiepedia, also faster than a TIE Interceptor or an RZ1 A-Wing)

- S-foils

- Ion cannons for half the weapons (though this may not actually be represented in-game, similarly to TIE Defender)

Cons

- No shields

- Less armor

The differences between the two remind me a bit of A-Wing vs TIE Interceptor. I know some will argue that the Eta-2 should not have as much hull as the squints but I think for game balance reasons it's going to be very similar to it. The Delta-7 appears that it will very similar to an RZ1 A-Wing. I think ultimately the points for the chassis of each ship would be similar to those ships but then force-users will be the main pilots so the costs will generally be higher than those ships.

If they actually do a 2 hull 0 shield Eta-2 Actis 1) I'll be annoyed for game balance reasons 2) It could be much cheaper than ships with comparative abilities elsewhere.

The N-1, If I remember correctly, is a very fast ship for it's role and size. I don't think it will have the attack value of an X-wing but I could see the rest of it's stats being very similar.

Edited by Ixidor

My take:

Light fighters (a lot of them in the Republic aparently)

Delta-7 Aethersprite 
2(3?)/3/3/1 (Astro)
focus, evade, barrel roll, some linked reposition
•Saesee Tiin  I6 F3,  •Plo Koon I5 F3,  •Adi Gallia I5 F3, •Obi-Wan Kenobi (Jedi Knight) I3 F2, •Barriss Offee I2 F1, Jedi Knight I3 F2

I really dislike the Azure Angel and I wish people forgot it, just like the stupid variant with a million guns based on a toy. Both are just Legends so there is hope.

Dial with green 2-turns but not very fast. It has four laser cannons so 3 attack wouldn't be uncalled for, but it would end up very similar to Eta. When it comes to pilots, the strength of this ship is that basically every Jedi is shown to pilot it at some point in the show or other media, like Mace Windu, Kit Fisto, Anakin, Ahsoka etc... I could easily see FFG releasing a bunch of repaints with different pilots, and the fact that there are countless paintjob variations only helps. For now: Saesee Tiin is said to be Jedi Orders best pilot rivaling Anakin Skywalker, obviously that's PS6 no questions asked. Plo Koon has to be here, he does some impressive stunts in TCW and he flies a Delta till the end of the war when he is killed in one. Adi Gallia is another Jedi known for piloting skills, mostly due to the Jedi Starfighter game. 

Eta-2 Actis
2-3/3/3/0 (Astro) (Config)
focus, evade, boost, barrel roll, and either Autothrusters copied from TIE Interceptor or some other ability allowing for both linked repositions
•Anakin Skywalker I6 F3,  •Mace Windu I5 F3,  •Aayla Secura I3 F2, •Ahsoka Tano I3 F1, Jedi Ace I5 F2, Jedi Padawan I2 F1

This is a tricky one. In theory the wingtip laser cannons can be replaced with ion cannons, but then what, do we give it a cannon slot, and have Etas flying around with HLC or tractors? I think the better solution is either 3 primary attack and a ship ability that makes some of the damage ion, or preferably a copule of Configuration cards: Wingtip Laser Cannons "increase your attack value by 1"; Wingtip Ion Cannons (something something 2 dice bonus ion attack). The problem here is that the ship has S-foils but eh, we can just ignore them like in the B-wing. 

For a dial I'd imagine green 1-turns and a lot of green in general. Faster than Aethersprite.

3 hull seems a bit much for a ship like this, but any less would make it unplayable. 4 green and 2 health would be certainly unique but way too matchup and RNG dependent. 

Naboo N-1 starfighter
2/3/2/2 (Astro) (Torp)
focus, evade, lock, barrel roll > evade
•Ric Olié I5,  •Rhys Dallows I4, •Porro Dolphe I3, •Padmé Amidala I2, Bravo Flight Pilot I3, Naboo Volunteer I1

Cheap astromech + torp combo is another interesting niche, I imagine R3 astro would be a nasty trick for a low PS alpha strike. Padme naturally leans towards a support ability which could be powerful on a cheap chassis. Decent dial but nothing spectacular.

V-19 Torrent
2/3/4/0 (Missile)
focus, lock, barrel roll
various clones as pilots

I honestly don't know what to do with this ship. 

Clone Z-95
2/2/3/2 (Torp)
focus, lock, barrel roll, boost

I feel like this should be more agile and faster than the OG Z-95 just by the way it looks :P 

Alpha-3 Nimbus
3/3/3/2 (Astro)
focus, lock, barrel roll, boost > evade,  boost > focus

The pinnacle of Clone Wars light fighter design. Four laser cannons, powerful engines. Good dial, fast, agile, with some fancy S-loops or K-turns.

Heavy fighters:

ARC-170 starfighter
3/2/1/6/3 (Astro) (Crew) (Gunner) (Sensors) (Torp)
focus, lock, jam

The current ARC is cool and all but it doesn't really convey the power of this beast. The sensor suite alone is the size of a TIE Fighter and this craft has "Reconnaissance" in its name - therefore the Sensor slot (former System) is a sure pick, along with a red jam action. Let's assume the Rebels didn't properly take care of it and didn't have expensive spare parts to keep the sensors fully operational.

BTL-B Y-wing
2/1/8/2 (Astro) (Turret) (Gunner) (Torp) (Bomb) (Bomb) 
focus, lock, reload

This is probably a medium base now. Extra hull for the armor, but losing the barrel roll. On the other hand I think it should be faster due to the monstrous engines. Extra bomb slot as this will be likely the primary bomber of the Republic (the only one until FFG dives into Legends) and they sometimes attached big bombs under the fuselage, like in the Zillo beast episode

Gunships:

LAAT/i
2/2/1/7/2 (Gunner) (Crew) (Crew) (Missile) (Missile) (Missile) 
focus, lock, reloadreinforce

So the armament of this ship consists of: 2 laser cannons, 1 rear laser cannon, 2 wing composite laser turrets, 2 side composite laser turrets (optional), 2 missile launchers (60 missiles), 8 light missiles under the wings...

60 **** missiles in the main belts, 8 additional under the wings. 3 slots doesn't seem like enough to be honest. Maybe a ship ability to make missiles cheaper if you fill all the slots?
To keep it simple let's get rid of the side turrets, and conveniently forget the wing turrets, because no matter how you spin in this ship has guns pointed in every direction and 360 arcs are a no go in 2.0. 2 dice front, 2 dice rear and a bunch of missiles seem fair.

Slow dial with a red 0 and reverse moves. Medium base.

Patrol Transport
2/2/2/5/0 (Gunner) (Crew) (Missile)
focus, lock, barrel roll

LAAT/i's small sister, essentially a small base crew carrier. Similar dial.

Shuttles:

Nu-class attack shuttle
4/1/9/3 (Crew) (Crew)
focus, lock, reinforce

Big, heavily armed shuttle. Similar to Lambda but with no rear guns, and 4 dice instead of a cannon slot. Has Rex and Cody as canon pilots so that's a plus, and Obex if they really want to give it a title.

T-6 shuttle
2/3/2
/1/6/4 (Gunner) (Crew) (Crew)
focus, lock, coordinate, refinforce

The big Jedi shuttle Ahsoka used at the end of Rebels. Usually unarmed so I'd skip it, but in Forces of Destiny there is a very interesting variant of this, with bubble turrets on either side of the cockpit. Ideally it would have a 180 arc with 2 attack value, representing single turrets firing sideways, and 3 dice in the normal frontal arc, where both turrets converge. 

Used mostly by Jedi.

Eta-class shuttle
3/2/4/2 (Crew) (Crew)
focus, lock, barrel rollcoordinate

Likely a small base, the nimblest of Republic shuttles. Maybe with 2 attack would work better as a cheap support ship/crew carrier. Used mostly but not exclusively by Jedi, there is an option for a cheap non-force generic, e.g. "Republic Ambassador".

Theta-class shuttle
I.. I don't think we need all the shuttles. This one would be very similar to lambda, being the hight tech one with coordinate, jam and sensor slots plus a tail gun.

Other:
G9 Rigger-class light freighter

2(rotary)/2(front)/1/10/3 (Gunner) (Crew) (Illicit)
focus, lock, rotate

Twilight as a title. Preferably a ship ability that gives an extra die if the mobile arc is in front. All pilots unique, for flavour reasons, although in the show there is an epsiode where it's piloted by a random unnamed clone.

The only Republic ship with a mobile arc built-in. Rotate is red because it was notoriously unreliable and in the TCW movie problem with the gun rotation is an actual plotpoint.

Asymmetrical dial due to the main engine being on the side.

I initially thought about skipping it or just making it Scum but I am rewatching the show and the ship has a very fitting role that would work in game - Anakin stores his Delta-7 in the cargo bay and jumps into it mid-battle if needed. The expansion could come with Anakin's yellow Delta-7 and extra pilot cards for it, and the Twilight title would allow the ship to carry a Delta-7 (Eta-2 too?).

Edited by eMeM
typos typso tpsods

1 hour ago, Ixidor said:

Let's see

Delta-7

Pros

- Has shields

- Customization options (mainly from Legends)

- Possible Delta-7B as variant or only version used, with higher hull and proper astromech slot

- More armor

- Also possibility of Anakin's heavily customized version or prototype version (shown as a small model in TCW)

Cons

- No proper astromech (except Delta-7B and possibly other variants) - this might setup the integrated astromech as the ship ability

- Less firepower

Eta-2 Actis

Pros

- More weaponry

- Proper astromech slot

- Faster and more maneuverable than the Delta-7 (according to wookiepedia, also faster than a TIE Interceptor or an RZ1 A-Wing)

- S-foils

- Ion cannons for half the weapons (though this may not actually be represented in-game, similarly to TIE Defender)

Cons

- No shields

- Less armor

The differences between the two remind me a bit of A-Wing vs TIE Interceptor. I know some will argue that the Eta-2 should not have as much hull as the squints but I think for game balance reasons it's going to be very similar to it. The Delta-7 appears that it will very similar to an RZ1 A-Wing. I think ultimately the points for the chassis of each ship would be similar to those ships but then force-users will be the main pilots so the costs will generally be higher than those ships.

If they actually do a 2 hull 0 shield Eta-2 Actis 1) I'll be annoyed for game balance reasons 2) It could be much cheaper than ships with comparative abilities elsewhere.

The N-1, If I remember correctly, is a very fast ship for it's role and size. I don't think it will have the attack value of an X-wing but I could see the rest of it's stats being very similar.

I thought the astromech problem on the Aethersprite was covered by the bulge underneath him?

tiny base: a base so small that the maneuver nubs are flush with the outer edge of the base.

Known tiny base fighters: Vulture, Trifighter, Aethersprite, Eta-2, ???

Tiny bases would have superior arcdodging and bullseye-avoiding ability, but are slower for a given maneuver then even small base ships.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure that the Republic Y would have any more hull. It's possible, but I haven't seen any lore that pointed to those panels as armor or offering any protection. If that was the case it would be super weird for the resource strapped Alliance to constantly send them out with the panels stripped off.

It would make more sense based on what we've seen with the Resistance Falcon for the clone wars ones to have more shields. It was also a chronic issue with the rebel Y's that their turrets didn't work, so I could see the clone wars Y having a turret baseline and no turret slot.

Either Way.

7 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

I'm not sure that the Republic Y would have any more hull. It's possible, but I haven't seen any lore that pointed to those panels as armor or offering any protection. If that was the case it would be super weird for the resource strapped Alliance to constantly send them out with the panels stripped off.

From http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BTL-A4_Y-wing_assault_starfighter/bomber, "The Alliance modified their Y-wings, with the hull and nacelle plating removed to increase ease of maintenance on the aging craft." Can we say that "hull and nacelle plating" added more protection?

EDIT: Wait, that is talking about the BTL-A4, not BTL-B, so maybe my post doesn't apply.

Edited by thomedwards

1 minute ago, thomedwards said:

From http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BTL-A4_Y-wing_assault_starfighter/bomber, "The Alliance modified their Y-wings, with the hull and nacelle plating removed to increase ease of maintenance on the aging craft." Can we say that "hull and nacelle plating" added more protection?

Not really. Plating to prevent wear and tear in flight doesn't necessarily add meaningful protection against attacks.

A basic enclosed Humvee will offer some protection from the elements, but isn't any better at stopping bullets than one with no covering. For that, you'd need armored or uparmored.

56 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

tiny base: a base so small that the maneuver nubs are flush with the outer edge of the base.

Known tiny base fighters: Vulture, Trifighter, Aethersprite, Eta-2, ???

Tiny bases would have superior arcdodging and bullseye-avoiding ability, but are slower for a given maneuver then even small base ships.

Thoughts?

I don't think they will add a fourth base type. I mean I could be wrong, but I just don't see, at least not until November when they drop more info on thePT era factions. XD It might be interesting thought if they had the Droid Starfighters where you put two models on the base, that way a full 8 or 9 droid fighters would look like a swarm of 16 or 18. 

One way or another the ship is much larger to the point of likely growing to a medium base, and in X-wing that translates to more hitpoints. Although the shields argument is solid, maybe instead of +2 hull make it +1 hull +1 shields?

1 hour ago, mazz0 said:

I thought the astromech problem on the Aethersprite was covered by the bulge underneath him?

*Notices bulge* beep-boop, what's this?

Nah, Actis has a bulge below astro, Aethersprite has an integrated astromech and Delta-7B has an enlarged middle section and an astromech slot placed in front of the pilot.

If they were going to do a tiny base, wouldn't the RZ1, RZ2, and Scyk have been prime candidates for the first ships on that base? Yes, I realize these aren't quite as small as the ships mentioned above but they aren't exactly big.

Even if they do a tiny base, I think the Delta-7 goes on the regular small base. It's a bit variable due to questions about the actual size of ships like the RZ1 but it feels more correct to me.

34 minutes ago, eMeM said:

Good point. RZ-2 is prequel-sized with a canon length of 7.68, shorter than a Delta-7, less than a meter longer than a Vulture, although a bit more bulky than those, but it looks like FFG just threw the scale out of the window and inflated it to match RZ-1 size.

Instead of shrinking the RZ-1 like they should have (and yes, I know that’s LFL’s fault).

Perhaps they'll just pump up the size of the vulture droids and Jedi fighters as well, then. I know the a-wing size has long been debated but if they're already willing to throw out the canon size of the RZ2 they might as well throw a few more sizes out to make it work without having to invent a new base size or do a tree.

3 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

I don't think they will add a fourth base type. I mean I could be wrong, but I just don't see, at least not until November when they drop more info on thePT era factions. XD It might be interesting thought if they had the Droid Starfighters where you put two models on the base, that way a full 8 or 9 droid fighters would look like a swarm of 16 or 18. 

I am not in love with the tiny base idea, personally, but also I want to point out that Vultures are not that small, in fact only slightly smaller than TIE/ln to my eyeballs, as per images.

PS. FFG please make them poseable :)

Related image

Image result for vulture droid standing pj=phantom menace

1 hour ago, Ixidor said:

Perhaps they'll just pump up the size of the vulture droids and Jedi fighters as well, then. I know the a-wing size has long been debated but if they're already willing to throw out the canon size of the RZ2 they might as well throw a few more sizes out to make it work without having to invent a new base size or do a tree.

The problem with the sad reaction on the forums now is that it no longer means “I find the content of your post sad”, it always looks like it means “I disagree with you and you make me sad”, being one of three options we haven given the lack of a down-vote, the other two options being laughing and confused.  They should add a down-vote option so that people can express disagreement without taking the piss, because these three options are more offensive than necessary.

So yeah, my sad reaction there was because I agree with you.

Edited by mazz0

Here's a list of Republic ships that I had been working on for some time. Let me know what you think!

N-1 Starfighter
    Base: Small
    Arc: Front(90)
    Attack: 2
    Evade: 3
    Hull: 3
    Shield: 2
Actions: Focus > Barrel Roll - Evade - Target Lock - Barrel Roll
Upgrades: Torpedoes - Astromech - Modification
Pilots:
    •Captain Typho [Initiative 5 + Talent]
    •Anakin Skywalker [Initiative 4 + Force: 1 + Force Slot] After you perform a (Barrel Roll), you may spent 1 (Force) token to assign an (Evade) token.
    •Ric Olie [Initiative 4 + Talent]
    •Gaven Sykes [Initiative 3]
    Bravo Flight Pilot [Initiative 2 + Talent]
    Naboo Rookie [Initiative 1]

Delta-7B Interceptor
    Shield: 3
Actions: Focus - Evade - Barrel Roll
Upgrades: Force - Astromech - Sensor - Modification
Pilots:
    •Anakin Skywalker [Initiative 5 + Force: 3] After you perform an action, you may spend 1 (Force) token to perform an action.
    •Adi Gallia [Initiative 4 + Force: 2]
    •Plo Koon [Initiative 4 + Force: 2]
    •Ahsoka Tano [Initiative 3 + Force: 2]
    •Obi-Wan-Kenobi [Initiative 3 + Force: 2]

Low Altitude Assault Transport Gunship
    Base: Large
    Arc: Front Full(180) & Rear(90)
    Attack: Front 2 + Rear 2
    Evade: 1
    Hull: 8
Actions: Focus - Target Lock - Reload
Upgrades:  Missiles - Crew - Crew - Gunner - Modification
Pilots:
    •"Hawk" [Initiative 4 + Talent]
    •"Jinx" [Initiative 2]
    Red Squadron Scout [Initiative 1]

V-19 Torrent Starship
    Evade: 2
    Shield: 1
Actions: Focus - Target Lock - Barrel Roll
Upgrades: Missiles - Modification
Pilots:
    •"Warthog" [Initiative 4 + Talent]
    •"Axe" [Initiative 3 + Talent]
    Red Squadron Pilot [Initiative 2 + Talent]
    Blue Squadron Pilot [Initiative 1]

BTL-A4 Y-wing
    Hull: 6
Actions: Focus - Target Lock - Barrel Roll - Reload
Upgrades: Turret - Gunner - Torpedoes - Bomb - Astromech - Modification
Pilots:
    •Captain "Fireball" [Initiative 4 + Talent]
    •"Broadside" [Initiative 3 + Talent]
    Hunter Squadron Pilot [Initiative 2 + Talent]
    Shadow Squadron Pilot [Initiative 1]

Z-95-C Headhunter
    Hull: 2
Upgrades: Torpedoes - Modification
Pilots:
    •"Hawk" [Initiative 5 + Talent]
    •"Killer" [Initiative 4 + Talent]
    Foxfire Squadron Pilot [Initiative 3 + Talent]
    Red Squadron Escort [Initiative 2]

ARC-170 Heavy Fighter
    Base: Medium
    Arc: Front(90) & Rear(90)
    Attack: Front 3 + Rear 2
    Hull: 6
    Shield: 3
Upgrades: Torpedoes - Astromech - Crew - Gunner - Modification
Pilots:
    •"Oddball" [Initiative 4 + Talent]
    •Captain "Jag" [Initiative 3 + Talent]
    Razor Squadron Pilot [Initiative 3 + Talent]
    Red Squadron Pilot [Initiative 2]

Eta-2 Interceptor
    Attack: 3
Actions: Focus - Target Lock - Barrel Roll > Focus - Boost > Focus
Upgrades: Force - Cannon - Astromech - Sensor - Modification
Pilots:
    •Anakin Skywalker [Initiative 6 + Force: 3] After you perform an action, you may spend 1 (Force) token to perform an action.
    •Saesee Tiin [Initiative 5 + Force: 3]
    •Ahsoka Tano [Initiative 4 + Force: 2]
    •Obi-Wan-Kenobi [Initiative 3 + Force: 2] Flying is for droids
    Jedi Ace [Initiative 3 + Force: 1]

Alpha-3 V-Wing Starfighter
    Attack: 3
    Shield: 1
Actions: Focus - Evade - Target Lock - Boost