Piratical Moustache

Should FFG increase the official points limit?

Not necessarily because of the Executor-class, though that's on everyone's minds right now.  I've played 500pt, 600pt, 800pt , and 1200pt games and I personally believe 600pt should be the new standard. You still can't make the perfect list for every occasion, but the claustrophobic feeling is gone. Plus some Commanders like Ackbar and Thrawn will get more mileage.

As always, what are your opinions? Is 400pts the perfect cap already to you? Should FFG increase only in 100pt increments like in the past?

Edited by Piratical Moustache

I've found 500 points to be extremely fun and manageable, so I suspect if they did raise the points cap it would probably be to 500.

Still, take my advice with a grain of salt. I personally prefer games that are at least 600 points, even going up to a 2-player, 1500 point per side game.

7 minutes ago, Karneck said:

They are adding epic play with increased point cap, leave meh standard play alone!

This is speculation really, but I think Epic Play will be in effect EXECUTOR RAMPAGE MODE, where FFG attempts to legitimize bringing a dreadnought to a light skirmish. 

Not saying I wouldn't enjoy that very much, but I think Epic Play will be Imperial vs Imperial slanted for that reason.

I would be strongly opposed to raising the points limit above 400.

If you want to play a game of Armada with a higher limit, go ahead. I've played two games of 1000 points and I thought they were a ton of fun. I also liked the 500 point games in the campaign. But the official point limit exists for tournaments- tournaments which have three full rounds of games. No matter how much I love Armada I don't want to spend 12 hours at a tournament. And I don't want them to cut the number of rounds down to two, that would be very unforgiving. There is nothing stopping you from playing 500 point games or 600 point games. Just ask your friends or post on your local Armada community 'Hey who is up for a 600 point game on Saturday?' It's that easy. High point games are fun and you will get plenty of takers. But changing the the official points limit would be a disaster for competitive Armada.

Edit: Also note that the 400 point limit is nowhere in the rulebook or the errata. It exists only in the tournament regulations. As far as the rules of Armada go, you can play any point limit you want. Only in tournaments are you required to stick to 400 points.

Edited by bleezy

4 hours ago, Darth Lupine said:

800 for me. I like flying Armadas, not pickets.

I understand some of the reasons that people would not want to raise the points, but I would like to see it raised. Maybe not to 800 but at lest 500, as I have said on other posts it does not feel to me like we are fielding Armadas, but at best Naval Squadrons. I do not think 500 would reach the Armada, but maybe then we could have task forces.

6 hours ago, Piratical Moustache said:

This is speculation really, but I think Epic Play will be in effect EXECUTOR RAMPAGE MODE, where FFG attempts to legitimize bringing a dreadnought to a light skirmish. 

Not saying I wouldn't enjoy that very much, but I think Epic Play will be Imperial vs Imperial slanted for that reason.

Well I mean Vader brought a list with a SSD and multiple ISDs to Hoth against Flotillas....Do you think maybe he was a bit salty about the number of high activation lists the Rebels were using? 

On 8/3/2018 at 7:30 PM, Thraug said:

500 or 600 yes, but a reduction in max squads from 33% to 20%.

I know how to reduce squadron time! Seriously love/hate these ships in Thrawn's Revenge, 2 of them single handedly destroyed about 2,000 X-Wings, Y-Wings, and A-Wings. 

I want a squadron shredder in Armada to help enable going squadronless, and cause some interesting dilemmas. Should that MC80 spare a shot at the ship that killed 3 X-Wings, or continue trading fire with the ISD? Make the Braha'tok Gunship the Rebel counterpart, slightly less potent in squadron killing than the Lancer but more versatile with anti-ship armaments.

Edited by Piratical Moustache
Attachment limits are too limiting.

I like the concept of the Lancer / Braha'tok being squadron killers. Perhaps 3 Blue AS dice?

As to increasing the point value, I'm not sure that would be good for getting new players into the game. I've been working with about 3-4 relatively new players and 400 points seems to be a good spot to make sure they focus on a more singular aspect. Having said that, I have enjoyed every 600 - 800 point game I have ever played.

I dont know. I agree that the 400 pt limit is one of those limits that works alright... but I also think 500 is a better limit point. I think it opens more possibilities, you can fly more ships, do more stuff. Ect.  it doesnt add much more time either, from what I have done.

1 hour ago, Fraggle_Rock said:

I like the concept of the Lancer / Braha'tok being squadron killers. Perhaps 3 Blue AS dice?

I was thinking 4 blue dice for the Lancer, balanced by the fact it has no capital grade weapons to it's name, and 3 blue for the Braha'tok. The Gunship at least would have some capital ship dice, perhaps like a Red/Black CR90. 

The Lancer would be essentially a gamble on the other guy running a lot of squadrons.

5 minutes ago, Ling27 said:

I dont know. I agree that the 400 pt limit is one of those limits that works alright... but I also think 500 is a better limit point. I think it opens more possibilities, you can fly more ships, do more stuff. Ect.  it doesnt add much more time either, from what I have done.

I could settle for 500pts to keep tournament times manageable, a double ISD build could actually be upgraded more fully for example.