SomeDudeWhoMostlyLurks

Nebulon - B????

Armada gets a damned EXECUTOR!  Canonically, this is 11.8 times longer than Imperial-II Star Destroyer.  The model should be 12-feet long!

FFG be like, "Eh, just chop it down to 18% of it's actual size and call it a day".

But we can't have a Nebulon-B in X-wing? Because it's too long?

Posted (edited)

They shouldn't add SSD to Armada. Just look at the image in the article, it looks totally awful next to the ISD, it is just so tiny.

Edited by Ubul

28 minutes ago, SomeDudeWhoMostlyLurks said:

Armada gets a damned EXECUTOR!  Canonically, this is 11.8 times longer than Imperial-II Star Destroyer.  The model should be 12-feet long!

FFG be like, "Eh, just chop it down to 18% of it's actual size and call it a day".

Armada has a much more flexible scale system.

35 minutes ago, Ubul said:

They shouldn't add SSD to Armada. Just look at the image in the article, it looks totally awful next to the ISD, it is just so tiny.

These “discrepancies” matter not.  In Armada the way the ships feel to play and look in relative proportion to each other is more important than being at exact matching scales (which would make it impossible to play).

42 minutes ago, SomeDudeWhoMostlyLurks said:

The whole of Armada is proof sliding scales work.  Just like the CR90, Raider and GR75 are not to standard X-Wing scale.  Problem is cost - roughly £160 for the SSD I’m being told.  Would you pay that for a Nebulon or Arquitens?  I would.  Many others are sensible though so it’s a riskier business proposition.  If the SSD sells well the Nebulon and Arquitens are inevitable.

Armada is a different game all together with a sliding scale for all their ships. Xwing does a decent job of keeping most ships within scale as close as possible. With Clone Wars announced, I'm excited for all the ships that at the epic level from the clone wars era. Consular class, C70refit, etc etc.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, GILLIES291 said:

I bought the Imperial epics because they are so cool. But passed on the Rebel ones because yeah..... the ship that gets insta-captured and the one that retreats from Hoth weren't really appealing as combat ships for me hahaha.

The CR-90 is a corvette.  The fact that it gets captured by Vader’s own Star Destroyer is hardly a statement on its overall combat worthiness.

Edited by weisguy119

2 hours ago, mithril2098 said:

What’s preventing XWM from adopting the same for capital ships?  If they don’t include cards needed for top-level 100/6 meta play, why does any of the tournament crowd even care?  FFG said they were done making people buy ships just for the cards.   

2 hours ago, mithril2098 said:

Whatever.  There are a ton of pix of 3rd party Nebulons that look amazing with 1/270 starfighters.

I like the idea that everything is to scale.  But if a sliding scale is what gets epic ships on the table, make it so.

If FFG is intimidated by the idea, make it a Kickstater.  Dwarven Forge has used the concept to great effect for their product lines.

2 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Whatever.  There are a ton of pix of 3rd party Nebulons that look amazing with 1/270 starfighters.

I like the idea that everything is to scale.  But if a sliding scale is what gets epic ships on the table, make it so.

If FFG is intimidated by the idea, make it a Kickstater.  Dwarven Forge has used the concept to great effect for their product lines.

As has Hasbro with Haslab and Jabba’s sail barge.

Dwarven Forge is amazing, btw.  But, man are they expensive.

1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

Will you shut up and stop giving them ideas!  My pocketbook is only so big!

2 hours ago, weisguy119 said:

The CR-90 is a corvette.  The fact that it gets captured by Vader’s own Star Destroyer is hardly a statement on its overall combat worthiness.

I disagree because science and reasons hahaha. 

(A point in your favour is this ship was savage in Empire at War as a fighter slayer, but mostly I'm just too cheap to buy epics I don't care about shhhhh let me save face *secret high five*)

10 hours ago, SomeDudeWhoMostlyLurks said:

The nebulon B is dozens of times the mass of the Tantive 4. Its not just a bit out of scale, its a smaller capitol ship. 

One of its several hanger bays is what you see Luke and Leia standing in at the end of Empire, and the rebels put 30 plus fighters in them sometimes. Its not gonna fit on the board even at 1/1000 scale

5 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

The nebulon B is dozens of times the mass of the Tantive 4. Its not just a bit out of scale, its a smaller capitol ship. 

One of its several hanger bays is what you see Luke and Leia standing in at the end of Empire, and the rebels put 30 plus fighters in them sometimes. Its not gonna fit on the board even at 1/1000 scale

Not that big, here is the docked Falcon for ref

Related image

Honestly, until I see some serious epic support for 2.0 - not “must have tournament cards with a massive price tag”, the most I’ll commit to is conversion kits for my existing epics.

Epic games were some of my favorite from 1.0, but I’m not going to invest in more capitol ships unless I see them getting the due they deserve. 

4 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Honestly, until I see some serious epic support for 2.0 - not “must have tournament cards with a massive price tag”, the most I’ll commit to is conversion kits for my existing epics.

Epic games were some of my favorite from 1.0, but I’m not going to invest in more capitol ships unless I see them getting the due they deserve. 

I feel like if they announce  Epic 2.0 ,they will have to announce at least 1 new ship to give any 'buzz' at all to the announcement. To me, the Medical Frigate is by far the most recognizable+doable (given scale) ship remaining. That or the Hammerhead.  This is of course notwithstanding Scum players clamoring for an equal footing in # ships (no argument there, just not sure what would sell mass-market).

There are 2 problems with the Nebulon B- the first is that it's _tall_. This makes the model unweildy.

The bigger problem is that X-Wing takes place on the scale of combat that a single _fighter_ can be an effective combat unit. Once we add in ships that would require a Raider or two to deal with, we end up devaluing all the other ships in the game. There's a reason Armada puts fighters in squadrons instead of singles.

8 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

One of its several hanger bays is what you see Luke and Leia standing in at the end of Empire

That's NOT a hangar bay. It's an observation gallery in the medical suite.

I'm of the opinion that the Nebulon-B is NOT capable of serving as a carrier. PERIOD. No matter what supplementary and EU material says.

I've experimented quite thoroughly with 3D models of the proper scale, and it's PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE to put a substantial hangar on a Nebulon-B. At BEST I could squeeze on a small flight deck with a below-decks storage hangar, but it would functionally be the equivalent of the helipads on the fantail of a real-world frigate or destroyer. There's very little room for the stores and equipment that would be necessary to actually support a fighter wing, and you sure as **** aren't fitting two full squadrons (if you overloaded and kept two fighters staged on the flight deck at all times you MIGHT be able to squeeze in six, but I'd argue that no more than four would be the practical upper limit). And even that would require hollowing out a substantial part of the upper bow, which is far more of a space investment than you get for the return. Especially since we don't know what the interior layout of a Nebulon frigate actually is.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

kRoxI5.gif

1.  the Nebulon B Frigate is twice as long as the Tantive IV.  The model in my post above is a Nebulon B ACTUALLY IN SCALE with the CR-90 Corvette.

2.  It has NO hangar bays.  At all.  It has docking tubes on the central spar - where we see the Falcon dock in the Empire Strikes Back, as shown in @mcintma 's picture.

3.  Luke and Leia are standing in the Medical Bay at the end of Empire Strikes Back.  You know, where we actually see Luke being treated for his injuries.

Edited by FTS Gecko

The real trick to epic 2.0 will be the new factions.... the First Order has literally nothing even close to right scale. Resistance has few choices as well.

Prequels have some more options I think, though I’m drawing a blank on ones that would fit scale at the moment.