bravosquid

How much do you expect to spend?

On 10/26/2018 at 7:49 PM, dperello said:

Don't think of it as spending $20.  Figure it's  $10 for each of the unique decks, $10 for all the accessories like all the tokens, keys and status cards, $3 for a nice copy of the rules and a decent sized box to hold everything in, and you're left with each teaching deck costing only $3.50.  Not bad at all really.

That's not a bad way to break it down.

Except that I already have deck boxes, tokens, and I will have the rules on my phone.  I'd rather just have 4 decks my son and I can play at events if we want to for the same money :)

3 hours ago, kingbobb said:

That's not a bad way to break it down.

Except that I already have deck boxes, tokens, and I will have the rules on my phone.  I'd rather just have 4 decks my son and I can play at events if we want to for the same money :)

Turns out the rules don't come in the box anyway, only the Quick-Start sheet.  I knew I shouldn't trust FFG here.  Shame on me...

I will spend at least $20. I figure 2 decks is the absolute minimum for me to enjoy this game. I'm anticipating spending $40 at the pre-release event. Not sure if/when I'll spend more than that.

I always chuckle at the people that say, "why waste money on a starter? I already have tokens, etc." failing to understand that the starter is not geared towards people like tjem, but for mass market retailers like Target where a buyer is unlikely to have a bunch of tokens, etc to use. Not everything is meant to be purchased by everyone.

The Starter is about 34€ (this includes about 5,50€ tax) here in Germany and the single decks cost 9€.

So 15€ for the starter decks and the tokens is not a bad deal in my book. Will preorder one starter and see where the game will go from there.

I really hope i can find a playgroup near by. Ever since i quit playing Magic i do miss the regular meetups to play card games.

Edited by Reaver027

I'm attending the Launch Party and intend to give the game an honest try.  From the vids I've been watching I predict I will probably like it and buy the Starter since I like themed accessories. 

I fully expect most organized play to be "Sealed" events since stores need to make money an players need to feel like they get something for their entry fee.  So I figure I'll be "buying in" every time I go to a league night.  

50-ish to start with, a starter set and one or two decks for variety. I hope I get to buy 2 decks at a prerelease on Saturday to get going, but I'd like some proper tokens and the preset decks seem fine for casual play (though I don't find the concept to be as appealing and they will mostly do new player duty).