Sign in to follow this  
LostFleet

Any X-Wing players here who can explain EPIC scale gameplay

wow I am still amazed that SSD is on its way, in a way I am very happy but there is one issue that I dont understand yet : Epic scale

X-Wing players have that scale for a long time but I never played X-Wing and I am not familiar with the gameplay. I am sure it is similar to Armada in some ways but what Iwas wondering how they integrated their regular games with Epic scale games? Did it have different rules or same game play with just one side having a big ship rather than a few squadrons?

If some players here who also play X-Wing can explain how Epic works I would be very happy,

About the only things that could show up in Armada Epic (assuming similarity to X-Wing Epic) would be these:

1) Huge ships can deploy outside of the deployment zone, but must touch the players Edge. Armada will probably be the same.

2) Huge ships immediately destroy ships they overlap. In Armada, I suspect that fighters will still get scattered. Overlapped Ships will likely work the same way, but the SSD will probably not take damage from ramming. I am guessing that asteroid and debris damage will still occur. 

3) Limits to the number of Epic ships. In Xwing you can only field a set number of Huge ships in a scenario (Epic points). I suspect they will limit the SSD to 1 or 2 per fleet depending on size. 

Even if the SSD is 300 points, it may be 3 Epic points. In a 1000 point game, you could theoretically have 3 SSDs, but if the cap is 4 Epic points, you can only bring one. 

Other interesting aspect of X-Wing epic play is that when a huge ship overlaps an asteroid, apart from rolling dice to suffer damage, that asteroid gets removed from play.

EDIT: also just for refference, some epic ships (the larger ones) have weapons that can fire from a longer range than the normal ships and can't attack ships that are near. The normal ships fire at range 1 to 3 (that ruler is the same lenght as the Armada range ruler) but for example standard weapon of the CR-90 can fire at range 3 to 5 and the Raider at range 2 to 4. At range 5 you can practically shoot a ship on the other end of the table, but as with any X-Wing attack, the farther the defender is, the easier it is for him to evade the damage.

Edited by Lemmiwinks86

X-Wing Epic games are also played on a larger area (2 mats). An Epic Armada game may be handled the same way and possibly have different deployment zones, starting at the short edges instead of the long edge.

I've been jonesing to play an Epic game but it's not really a thing in my area.  I have every Epic scale ship and they look gorgeous on a shelf, but I'd love to roll some dice while I make PEW PEW noises.  I've also not played much Armada (again, just not a big thing in my LGS or with my regular gaming group), but I'm getting the SSD because DAYUM, it's an SSD.

One other note on Epic X-Wing, there's a team Epic variant where each side is two players with 300 pts each.  Each player has fewer Epic points and the max number of ships of each type is reduced, but it seems like loads of fun.

4 minutes ago, Bad Idea Comics said:

X-Wing Epic games are also played on a larger area (2 mats). An Epic Armada game may be handled the same way and possibly have different deployment zones, starting at the short edges instead of the long edge.

I've been jonesing to play an Epic game but it's not really a thing in my area.  I have every Epic scale ship and they look gorgeous on a shelf, but I'd love to roll some dice while I make PEW PEW noises.  I've also not played much Armada (again, just not a big thing in my LGS or with my regular gaming group), but I'm getting the SSD because DAYUM, it's an SSD.

One other note on Epic X-Wing, there's a team Epic variant where each side is two players with 300 pts each.  Each player has fewer Epic points and the max number of ships of each type is reduced, but it seems like loads of fun.

Too bad you're not nearby. Tonight's our monthly Team Epic night - 2v2, 200 points per player, with objectives.

Slow. Complicated. 

There are certain versions to alleviate the bloat that FFG Game design created in their non scalable turn order. One upgrade only. Or 200pts instead of 2v2. 

Usually ends up taking all day casually.

sounds like something a lot of ppl here like though 

Epic play requires both players to eat off dollar menues for several months just to save enough money for ships so they can play. Then they both need a table the size of rooms that generally hold said tables, often meaning they have to play at the more “family oriented” homesteads, which means the biggest threat to your hard earned fleet isn’t the other player, it’s his son, Timmy, you know... the one who drools a lot and his parents make excuses for his poor behavior. He really likes your new SSD and would like to test its real life flight capabilities. Hmmm, it seems that it doesn’t fly through walls very well, but maybe he’ll do better with your ISDs or a Raider or two...