Porkchop Express

Is it really possible to collectjust one faction...

I'm saying forget Scum and the Sequel factions, never had an interest. 

But I'm 100% in for Confederacy and Republic!

Probably pickup Empire and Rebellion as well just to have something to play while waiting for the glorious rise of the Confederacy and my Jedi dogs to hunt!

On 8/3/2018 at 6:45 PM, Yakostovian said:

When I was first getting in, I said "I'll never get scum. Too dumb. I hate bounty hunters and all their ilk."

And then I watched Rebels, and saw the Protectorate hit store shelves.

"Just a trio of fangs won't hurt."

Before I knew it, I had 3 fangs, 2 starvipers (but only 1 auto-thrusters) a couple Kihraxz's, Most Wanted... until I realized I had at least one of every ship from ALL factions.

I've since forgone the Resistance Bomber and Kimogila, but otherwise, I like all the ships I have. I know I will be getting all 7 factions eventually. Piecemeal as it may be. At least it won't be every ship.

That how it starts. Justifying it by saying "At least it won't be every ship". Next thing you are flying a different 4 ships every week, as you try to make use of the 100+ ship collection you have taking up half the spare room.

On 8/3/2018 at 4:20 PM, player3010587 said:

Well, given that FO is going to revert to the Omega Leader faction whilst Resistance takes a hit with Poe's ability demoted to PTL and Rey having a red rotate action, the sequel stuff needs to have some fun toys to sell their factions. Hopefully the new A Wing can do that. I don't know what the FO can promise, though.

I am confident Resistence Only player, now since I sold my Scum. I believe Resistence is just going to be awesome! Not happy with Poe's new ability but still... the problem might be with the Clone Wars era. My brother basically Rage-quitted on X-Wing but he loves Anakin and the Prequel films so he will surely come back with some Jedi. And if Geonosians will be the thing, I will go for them to play in the same era.

Edited by Jiron

I'd argue no, but personally I am trying to minimise costs by going Scum main and Rebel on the side. For a start they share ships, a total of eight dials between the two conversion kits, plus a couple of gaudily painted TIEs if the feeling ever takes me.

If you really want to be competitive most likely not. Not only due to upgrade availability, but also due to faction relative power. Sooner or later that one faction will be at the bottom of the power curve and then it might suck to not have alternatives.

Personally I plan to stick to 5 factions (all but Resistance and FO) but mainly Scum and with either Republic or CIS, depending on how they will play (I love the CIS lore but I hate playing swarms). 

Remember that FFG is supposed to be releasing cardboard and card only packs for each ship released before wave 14. So, if FFG does follow through with this, you'll be able to get the cards you need/want without having to pay for a full miniature.

Edited by T70 Driver

I’m starting with four factions and seeing what the release rate is - my best guess is the more full fledged factions will just be seeing ship repeats for a while (so buy the card packs as needed) and the new factions of sequel/prequel will get most of the love to help catch up.

So, I’ve picked my 4th to be First Order. I had a ball with 1.0 Kylo at Adepticon, and while I know he won’t be the same it’s going to still be fun. If Fanatical and Heroic are the talents that define sequel factions, I’m going FO all the way.

Plus I kinda like them more fluff wise. For every Poe in the Resistance there’s characters I really can’t stand. :) 

If the release rate is such I can afford it, I will ultimately replace resistance with one prequel faction. Haven’t picked that one because Droids > clones, but Jedi > droids.... tough call

Very curious how they are going to introduce Clone Wars factions.  A new Core Set seems likely?  Jedi Fighter vs Vulture Droids with Sith Infiltrator and Arc-170(?) rounding things out as separate expansions?

Odds we have some way of using Rebel Z-95's or Arc's as Republic ships?

I don't see ever buying in regardless and Separatists?  No interest at all.  Luckily, I shouldn't be missing any cards anymore.

I will probably wait until episode IX before I make a decision on FO or Resistance.

On 8/3/2018 at 1:56 PM, DarthEnderX said:

Not only do I not collect anything that isn't Imperial, but I don't collect anything that isn't an Imperial TIE.

You don't even have a Lambda? But they're so pretty! And they're in the movies and everything! 

It seems like sticking to one faction is reasonable in second edition (it's not too bad in first edition either if you trade for missing upgrades from your friends; I did that for about a year until I had all the Rebel stuff and decided I wanted to fly some Scum lists occasionally). I'm almost exclusively a Rebel player, and if I so chose I could stay that way.

I'll probably convert my existing Resistance stuff (just some T-70s and a Falcon) and maybe pick up an RZ-2 if they're any good. What's a big deal for me was the Clone Wars announcement, though. I plan to buy into Republic in a big way. Not sure if I'll convert my Scum and Imperial stuff; I don't really have enough ships to play anything other than aces with the Empire, and aside from Starvipers, Y-Wings, and HWKs, I don't really like Scum ships.

21 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

Nope.  It's gross.  And I have the Reaper now for when they eventually give me Thrawn.

How is lambda more gross than the eyeball sandwitch? o.O 

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:49 AM, dadocollin said:

I think once there are seven factions (and even with five), you're going to start seeing fewer people collect every single ship and it'll be more common for new players to limit their purchases to one or two factions.

It's interesting to look at this in terms of where the sweet spot in price/releases is for FFG.  If they keep raising price and/or release a lot more ships, you eventually get into Warhammer territory, where it's nearly impossible to buy even multiple factions, much less everything (although there is also a high hobby price in paint, paint accessories, terrain, etc. associated with a game like that).  This may be why there are only two factions in Legion right now.  Just enough that players can keep collecting it all.

For people like me (and many of you) who have a full X-wing collection, we'll probably keep maintaining this for a while (especially if we don't have to re-buy all the ships once we've paid the conversion price).  I get the sense that FFG will expand the game slowly enough to keep people like us able to maintain a full collection.  

Two other points - I REALLY REALLY hope they don't charge a subscription for the app.  And I hope they keep all the ships in print, as difficult as that may be.  I've always thought it was great that (eventually) all the ships were available for purchase even years after their release.  I had two or three periods where I stopped buying (or stopped buying every ship) and then went back and filled in gaps because you gotta catch 'em all, right?

The day they charge a subscription for the app will be the day I start listing on E-Bay.  Don't see it happening, but who knows.

Resistance and F/O are getting the boot. Scum to. Why? I never ran scum, and resistance and F/o were collected to boost my rebels and imperials. 

2.0 I can hang onto my OT ships until they release the actis-2. The clone wars Y-wing and arc-170 also have potential to find themselves in my collection.

Short Answer: Yes (anything is possible after all)

Probable no too many options and wanting to do or be different will cause you to want to move around and get other ships and factions.

As someone who hasn't played the game since wave 2 I'm going to be sticking to one faction for the foreseeable future as I have a lot of catching up to do. I'm going all in on the Empire. The faction has enough depth to keep my happy for awhile, I love the look of their ships, and I really love their focus on a command ship and crew giving out bonuses to either aces or mini-swarms. 

Eventually I'll pick up a second faction for variety's sake but I feel in no hurry to do so. In fact I like the idea of seeing how the newer and smaller factions develop before making any choice on that front. 

I will want to pick up a Mandalorian force for funsies but I have no intention of collecting Scum as a faction. I'd just be in it for the Mandos. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Do you know the difference between an error and a mistake? Anyone can make an error. But that error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." -Grand Admiral Thrawn