Sign in to follow this  
Bojanglez

Any news from GenCon?

From what we've  heard third hand is that they have forthcoming announcements regarding the line but no specifics.. They'll mainly focus on region and era books. Speculation is high regarding a clone wars era book but Nothing has been announced yet though. Cyphers and masks is also being sold there.

I watched a recorded version of their InFlight report and nothing pertaining to Star Wars or Genesys was mentioned, though I had to quit near the end when they started some Q&A. They have the policy of not detailing stuff that isn't officially announced, so any RPG-related questions were probably answered vaguely or some variation of "no comment."

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Swordbreaker said:

I watched a recorded version of their InFlight report and nothing pertaining to Star Wars or Genesys was mentioned, though I had to quit near the end when they started some Q&A. They have the policy of not detailing stuff that isn't officially announced, so any RPG-related questions were probably answered vaguely or some variation of "no comment."

That's not at all what happened in the Q&A. They made it very clear that the In-Flight Report would just be big product announcements this year, so Andrew Navarro was unusually forthcoming regarding some of the other products in the Q&A. It's possible that this is part of a larger change in approach with Navarro firmly at the head of FFG (as a studio) and CTP leaving the business altogether. As far as I can tell, FFG's general media blackout policy always came from CTP.

Navarro was specifically asked about both Genesys and the Star Wars RPG in the Q&A. He was crystal clear that an Android book for Genesys is currently in development, even though it hasn't reached the point where they would normally announce it. He was also asked if the Star Wars RPG lines were wrapping up (at around 1:00:35 on the Team Covenant recording) and quite definitively said "Oh no, we're not done with Star Wars RPG. We'll have more stuff coming out for that."

It wasn't evasive and it wasn't a non-answer. It was an absolute affirmative response. I know we all would have preferred a specific product announcement but at least this was assuredly an answer - more stuff will be coming.

Edited by Dr Lucky

11 minutes ago, Dr Lucky said:

That's not at all what happened in the Q&A. They made it very clear that the In-Flight Report would just be big product announcements this year, so Andrew Navarro was unusually forthcoming regarding some of the other products in the Q&A. It's possible that this is part of a larger change in approach with Navarro firmly at the head of FFG (as a studio) and CTP leaving the business altogether. As far as I can tell, FFG's general media blackout policy always came from CTP.

Navarro was specifically asked about both Genesys and the Star Wars RPG in the Q&A. He was crystal clear that an Android book for Genesys is currently in development, even though it hasn't reached the point where they would normally announce it. He was also asked if the Star Wars RPG lines were wrapping up (at around 1:00:35 on the Team Covenant recording) and quite definitively said "Oh no, we're not done with Star Wars RPG. We'll have more stuff coming out for that."

It wasn't evasive and it wasn't a non-answer. It was an absolute affirmative response. I know we all would have preferred a specific product announcement but at least this was assuredly an answer - more stuff will be coming.

Fair enough.

I'm still annoyed that the Death Star has received an RPG write-up but not the Super Star Destroyer. I saw the prototype 3D-printed Armada model at the Fantasy Flight booth and the thing is an enormous piece of plastic.

I picked up Cyphers and Masks after a 45 minute wait in line. It's pretty good. It has a lot of useful suggestions for slicing and some Spy-centric story advice that I find helpful. The competitionist in me is happy that I now have three complete game lines.

I would have been fine with FFG sunsetting the Star Wars RPG line but I'm glad to hear that they have, as yet unspecified, plans for it moving forward. I'll keep my fingers crossed that those plans include products that I'll find useful in my future campaigns. 

I'm also pleased that the line developers are pursuing a Gensys-powered Android cyberpunk RPG. That product will have a built-in audience and they've already done the setting work in their Worlds of Android book.