Sign in to follow this  
PhantomFO

Articles up for Wave 2!

Interesting. I already own 2 Mining Ties :) (scratch builds) So just paint over old 1.0dials and I could field 3 casually (probably would need to proxy a pilot card as well). 

Not that glad about their ability. Ignoring obstacles is just as lame as old Dash. Probably they are quite expensive.

-Have to squint a bit more and process the Resistance/FO info. Having most ships of all 3 OT factions but none of these 2 ST factions' ships I am naturally not that excited. 

-The real question though: Do scum players really need to buy a Resistance or FO kit (10 Tech cards) to have the Tech cards for the Quadjumper? (Or wait for the Quad re-release and then having another ship model?)

Edited by Managarmr
Stupid autocorrect

3 hours ago, BowTiesRCool said:

Interesting the the Resistance side conversion kit only has stuff for 10 ships, while the First Order kit has stuff for 18 ships, but they cost the same $29.99.  Seems a little unbalanced?

Resistance has quite a few more pilots 'cause of HotR, so that accounts for some of the discrepancy. Fundamentally, I think the amount of stuff people will actually want to use in each kit is about the same ?

3 hours ago, Praetorate of the Empire said:

She might not have to spend one when something's in her firing arc, then. Her text is mostly exposed on a card fan shared on the Mynock Squadron Podcast on Facebook, as shown.

Oh, wierd, I just noticed the red Rotate Arc action for the YT-1300. I wonder if that's just for Rey or if its the same across the board. Then all 3 factions that have the Falcon  would have different versions... Good in a fluff sense, I guess.

Ahh, the Bomber doesn't get a ship ability. I was so hoping it would get something that makes it have a large bomb loadout at the cost of popping like a firecraker while bombs were on board.

1 hour ago, piznit said:

Heroic"ness"?

Fantatical"ness"

2 hours ago, wurms said:

Finn's gunner ability only works out of primary arc,  and Reys ability looks to change 1 blank to an evade or hit result if the ship is in her primary arc. So seems like the resistance Falcon looks to have a stuck primary arc, with a single turret ala Shadowcaster.

Rey with ability and force power gonna be hitting hard once again in 2.0.

You can see the Falcon's base in the conversion pack, it doesn't have any highlighted arc so it will likely have a Dual mobile arc like the Scum and Rebel versions. If it did only get one arc then I imagine it would be a good deal cheaper. 

So!  Let's run some numbers for the chance of Heroic triggering.  This one is actually going to be really easy, since it's a simple binomial.  p=2/8 or 3/8 by die, and we're looking for the probability of all trials are successes, so simply p^n.  How much damage it adds is another issue...

• Red Dice
    • 4 Dice: 0.39% chance. (1/256)
      • Normally, a 4-blank roll is 0 damage, but with Heroic, wouldn't it be something like ~2 damage without a focus, ~3 with?  And such, wouldn't this mean that the expected damage of a 4-dice attack with Heroic is 2 + 0.0078 = 2.0078 without focus, or 3.0117 with a focus?
      • For comparison, a normal single reroll a la Predator would be 0.469 average damage extra (2.469-2), or 0.513 extra with focus.
      • So this does essentially nothing on 4 dice.  One out of every 256 attacks will fully blank out.
    • 3 Dice: 1.5625% chance.  (1/64)
      • If my above math isn't too wrong, that means this 0.0234 extra damage to a 3-dice attack without focus, or 0.035 damage with focus.
      • A single reroll without focus adds 0.438 damage, or 0.434 damage with focus.
      • With focus, this is about 1/20th to 1/12th as good as Predator.  1/16th by Harmonic mean.
    • 2 Dice: 6.25% chance. (1/16)
      • So Heroic adds 0.0625 damage without focus, 0.09375 damage with focus.
      • The single-reroll would add 0.375 without focus, or 0.328 with focus.
      • Without focus, this is 1/6th as good as Predator (1e, single reroll only), or with focus about 1/4th, so about 1/5th overall.
  • Green Dice
    • 4 Dice: 1.98% chance to trigger
      • So it'd add about 0.030 evades without focus tokens, or 0.050 evades with a focus token.
    • 3 Dice: 5.27% chance to trigger
      • About 0.059 evades added without focus, or 0.100 evades with a focus token.
      • A single reroll (say, as granted by Elusive) on 3 dice adds about 0.355 evades without focus, or 0.472 with focus.
    • 2 Dice: about a 14.06% chance to trigger
      • About 0.105 evades added without focus, or 0.175 with a focus token.
      • A single reroll on 2 dice adds about 0.322 evades without focus, or 0.381 with focus.
    • 1 Die with Finn: a 37.5% chance to trigger
      • About 0.281 evades added without focus, or 0.469 with a focus token.

So this is really weak on red dice.  Full blank is pretty rare.  1/16th as strong as a single-reroll on 3 dice, or 1/5th on 2 dice. 

On green dice, particularly on lower-agility ship (the synergy between Finn and Heroic on the Falcon is soooo cool!), this isn't too bad.  It looks about 1/2th to 1/3rd as good as Elusive on a 2-dice ship, and doesn't require recharging with red moves.  On a 3-dice ship, that's something like 1/5th to 1/6th as good as Elusive.

//

Here's what's going through my head.  Mathematically, this is really bad on red dice.  A-Wings aren't too trash with it, nor potentially Resistance Bombers, if they've got the same statline 2 red, and particularly if you manage to fit in Finn.  On a T-70, you only fully blank out like one out of every 64 attacks or so.  But when you do, instead of getting zero damage, you get essentially a free attack.  It seems perfect for someone who plays more with heart, than with math.

But that's just the red dice.

Green dice this seems almost good.  For a T-70, 1/3rd of Elusive per attack, without needing charges or red moves, is entirely reasonable.  I mean, if Poe gets attacked three times before he pulls a red move (and given his pilot ability he probably won't take too many red moves), this is kinda about as good as Elusive.  An A-Wing gets 1/5th of 1e Predator and 1/5th of 2e Elusive.  That kinda seems... fair?

//

Here's another thing.  T-70 can pack a Heavy Laser Cannon.  I don't know the text on the S-Foils, but if it's just primary attacks which lose dice with S-Foils closed, and there's a linked Focus -> Barrel Roll action, similar to the T-65's Focus -> Boost, then Predator sorta starts to look good to me.  Close the wings, Focus/BR into a bullseye for 4 dice with a reroll and a focus token.

Hrm.  Predator and HLC will really need to be felt in games to be fully understood.  On the right ships, and against the right ships, they seem really good.  How often that truly works out is still a mystery. (1e thinking, bah.  I can't read sometimes)

Edited by theBitterFig

1 hour ago, Stealthcmc1974 said:

What kills me is that if Rey pretty much the same ability as her 1e card, she wont be able to take Heroic since she has the force. Then again, Rey, Finn, and Heroic probably is too good.

It kinda looks like Rey can use force points to convert blanks (rather than just eyes) to hit/evade when defending/attacking in arc.

As such, Heroic still works fine.  A total reroll after a full blank-out would often still leave a blank or two.  On the other hand, without Heroic, she'd still be OK, if someone wanted to go with something like Outmaneuver.  I don't remember if that's a small/medium ship thing, but I know it's primary arc only, and that's what Rey intends.

Edited by theBitterFig

13 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

It kinda looks like Rey can use force points to convert blanks (rather than just eyes) to hit/evade when defending/attacking in arc.

As such, Heroic still works fine.  A total reroll after a full blank-out would often still leave a blank or two.  On the other hand, without Heroic, she'd still be OK, if someone wanted to go with something like Outmaneuver.  I don't remember if that's a small/medium ship thing, but I know it's primary arc only, and that's what Rey intends.

That's not it. Since Rey can use the force, she cant take talents in the first place, she gets force upgrades instead.

1 minute ago, MrMaggles said:

Nobody else notice that the resistance Awing has an ability regarding a rotate arc action?

Resistance Awing with a turret primary or turret upgrade slot?

Primary can flip from front arc to rear arc I think. Like the old Legends A-Wing.

2 minutes ago, MrMaggles said:

Nobody else notice that the resistance Awing has an ability regarding a rotate arc action?

Resistance Awing with a turret primary or turret upgrade slot?

I’m pretty sure the primary flips 180, so it is either front or back. It was mentioned in the In Flight

You can see the top line of their ship ability too, it says first "you can only rotate your [arc] to" and I think the specific zones gets cut off but they say it's front and back elsewhere, which makes sense that's how the gimbals on their weapons are supposed to work (harkening to the Mk II A-Wings in the X-Wing Novels at the same time)

1 hour ago, BVRCH said:

Where's my i7 Chewie!?

millennium-falcon-star-wars-the-last-jedi.gif?w=800

Nah, Chewie will be snubbed once again, be it a medal or a much needed hug. Porgs or Rey will get the credit instead. 

1 hour ago, UnitOmega said:

You can see the top line of their ship ability too, it says first "you can only rotate your [arc] to" and I think the specific zones gets cut off but they say it's front and back elsewhere, which makes sense that's how the gimbals on their weapons are supposed to work (harkening to the Mk II A-Wings in the X-Wing Novels at the same time)

I think someone in another thread mentioned it being a case of after performing a white action you get to either red boost or red rotate. 

1 minute ago, Animewarsdude said:

I think someone in another thread mentioned it being a case of after performing a white action you get to either red boost or red rotate. 

swz19_a1_awing_spread.png

you can see the first lines of Refined Gyrostabilizers here; "You Can rotate your [turret] indicator only to you-" and then it gets cut off. There seems to be a line break then the next chunk of text stars "After you perform..." like the RZ-1 ability, which from descriptions of people able to see better spoilers is Boost or Rotate Arc. 

36 minutes ago, UnitOmega said:

swz19_a1_awing_spread.png

you can see the first lines of Refined Gyrostabilizers here; "You Can rotate your [turret] indicator only to you-" and then it gets cut off. There seems to be a line break then the next chunk of text stars "After you perform..." like the RZ-1 ability, which from descriptions of people able to see better spoilers is Boost or Rotate Arc. 

ix9664G.png

From the Gencon stream, shows another pilot, a generic, and the majority of the ship ability. It locks the mobile arc to front and back and lets you perform a red boost or rotate after a an action. 

[Omega Leader Initiative 6]

Wowzers. And, apparently a 'him'.

I do like the fact that now we've got 'two names' the TIE/fo aces are getting call sign and flight postion.

Muse has taken a bit of a battering, but Epsilon Leader's 1.0 ability was kind of brutal with a swarm - sucking off 4+ stress tokens in one go for no downside was kind of harsh. It looks like Lieutenant Rivas can also hunk stress off others, though.

Fanatical....is interesting. On the one hand, action-free attack focus is nice; once you've lost your shields you can switch to evading every turn, or target lock/fanatical, or focus/advanced optics/fanatical to up damage output. My concern is that once a TIE/fo has lost its shields, generally the next thing to happen is that it explodes.

Also; heroic is essentially a free reroll of red or green dice whenever you blank out. That had better not be cheap, because as a permanently active, chargeless abiltiy, that's potentially game-winning given how often a blank roll results in it all going to heck.

And the mining guild look annoyingly fun to use!

Edited by Magnus Grendel