Sign in to follow this  
freebird285

Rogue Constructed Format

The “unique” decks are fine. It’s an interesting ideal I suppose but let’s not forget that card sleeves exist and that’s all it takes to disregard the card backs so we can just build our own decks with our entire collection of cards. Some deck building rules will probably need to be put into place as any issues with this format arises. 

AS the game is not primarily designed to be played like that, I'm afraid multiple broken combos will be possible in a constructed format, combos that are extremely unlikely to happen in the random deck generation. But aside from that, I imagine it could be done.

Still if we end up resorting to that, I think there are better games alike out there, that would be cheaper. ( I would name Epic as example)

Also, with card rarities, how many decks do you have to buy to get the one good ultra rare card I need. buying 30 decks sucks worse than buying 30 booster packs, especially because many people wont want to trade because then it invaildates their decks.

22 minutes ago, jayelbird said:

Why would you want to play the game that is so extremely divorced from the design intent for the game when there are plenty of excellent games that are designed for exactly the format you are looking for? 

I would only want to if the game itself were excellent and offered mechanics that were unlike anything we've seen before in a TCG. I doubt that it's the case. But if it is the case then denying us the aspect of card games that a lot of us really enjoy (deck building) seems like a mis-step. I think sacrificing the opportunity to be creative in order to prevent net-decking isn't a desirable trade for a great many people.

One constraint I would suggest is that any constructed deck must be built from no more than 10 decks. This would make the cost of a deck about $100 (far less than a deck from other games in most cases) yet it would be a large enough pool of cards to  allow focused mechanics.  And of course a 3 or 4 card limit on regular non-character cards. I like the base ideal of the unique decks but at some point if the game is really fun the temptation to experiment will just become too overwhelming for me and I’m certain I’m not the only one. 

Given the high recursion in this game  ( since you can discard lots of cards each turn and redraw up to 6 cards in a turn ( so 1/6th of your deck), I think playing cards only as one-offs or 2 copies max should be agreed upon

1 hour ago, freebird285 said:

I would only want to if the game itself were excellent and offered mechanics that were unlike anything we've seen before in a TCG. I doubt that it's the case. But if it is the case then denying us the aspect of card games that a lot of us really enjoy (deck building) seems like a mis-step. I think sacrificing the opportunity to be creative in order to prevent net-decking isn't a desirable trade for a great many people.

Then you aren't likely aren't the target demographic for this game.

I don't see the logic in trying to alter the game to be what you want, rather than just accepting that it might not be a game for you and not play it.

This does not really prevent netdecking. What it does it make netdecking very expensive. You will need to go on a hunt for good decks being resold. If this game is at all successful for a competitive environment then the game will be primarily whales who have the money to buy good decks on ebay ect. They will be facing off against many who don't have that are left to random luck of the draw. Guess what that means? Most will be stomped over by whales and leave the game. This was one of the great things that LCGs helped to mitigate.

Also unless you are willing to gamble or spend a ton of cash there is no way to actually play a competitve deck that comprises the houses you want to play.

This boils down to one thing. It's the table top version of loot boxes. It has most of the negatives of a CCG with almost none of the positives. At least in a CCG you can overcome the randomization by just buying what you want or trading. 

1 hour ago, Krashwire said:

This boils down to one thing. It's the table top version of loot boxes. It has most of the negatives of a CCG with almost none of the positives. At least in a CCG you can overcome the randomization by just buying what you want or trading. 

Almost, if some decks had cards you couldn't use  (let's say, with just the art on them), then yeah they'd be loot boxes.

But yeah it's the buy into this game blind aspect that's maxed out.

My idea for deck building is you can split decks into “house sets” that contain the 12 cards from each house in a deck. and pick three sets for a deck. Chaos still rules but your getting to make a choice.

Edited by TylerTT

After playing in a prelaunch event I was also thinking you could just play constructed by using sleeves if you wanted to do so.  You are going to have to buy a lot of decks to get enough cards to play constructed....

I really enjoy the game as a sealed format though, I don't really have time to play constructed card games any more, so this game is a great fit for me.

On 8/2/2018 at 10:07 AM, freebird285 said:

The game was design intentionally to do away with deck building. If deck building is your thing, then this isn't your type of game.

On 8/2/2018 at 11:12 AM, freebird285 said:

One constraint I would suggest is that any constructed deck must be built from no more than 10 decks.

There is no way to enforce this. *smdh*

On 8/3/2018 at 6:13 AM, Krashwire said:

If this game is at all successful for a competitive environment then the game will be primarily whales who have the money to buy good decks on ebay ect. They will be facing off against many who don't have that are left to random luck of the draw. Guess what that means? Most will be stomped over by whales and leave the game.

It has most of the negatives of a CCG with almost none of the positives. At least in a CCG you can overcome the randomization by just buying what you want or trading. 

People seem to forget that there’s an internal balancing mechanism to help counteract this. If a bunch of ‘whales’ want to buy the best decks off eBay, that’s fine, let them. They can struggle through the early game with four chains each while Johnny NewPlayer plays his fresh deck and trounces them.

On 8/3/2018 at 6:13 AM, Krashwire said:

This does not really prevent netdecking. What it does it make netdecking very expensive. You will need to go on a hunt for good decks being resold.

I have three decks so far and they all seem quite playable. One has a fair few "tar baby" cards that I have to play around or mulligan away if I draw them. If the deck ramps up into these it can be a big amount of trouble for an opponent. My other two decks are slightly better and has so many great pairs and combinations.

I think too you have to answer the basic question "what is a good deck" yourself, I think it is fine to buy new decks and move on if the decks are not great or throw then into your collection of "good decks" if they are worth some more plays.

I think too the worth of netdecking will only be known once we see the style of OP events and prize support. Spending thousands to win a deck box worth $2 is not money well spent.

On 8/3/2018 at 12:36 AM, freebird285 said:

After having seen the game played I can say that my previous statement about only creating a constructed format if the game is excellent is a moot point. It looks like it offers absolutely nothing interesting in the way of game mechanics. So this is a big fat pass for me. Never mind. 

Just out of curiousity, what other games have you played that already use these mechanics? I’m enjoying Keyforge quite a bit and would love to explore other games that present the mechanics and gameplay decisions similar to the ones I’ve found in Keyforge.

Don’t say Magic or I’m saying Brobnar...