Jump to content
DScipio

SSD Poll Threat. Happy or not.

Recommended Posts

Happy we have a release. Unlikely to ever buy one. 

I said (many also probably said same) that they can't do justice to the thing. People will complain it's not the right size or not enough guns etc to maintain game balance. And guess what's clogging the forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Radaeon said:

Happy we have a release. Unlikely to ever buy one. 

I said (many also probably said same) that they can't do justice to the thing. People will complain it's not the right size or not enough guns etc to maintain game balance. And guess what's clogging the forum.

There's a small minority of voices making that case. It seems to me that most of the forum is clogged with enthusiasm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im not that happy.

A years radio silence to make a ship hard to use in game to make usable in game. The time could of been better spent doing so many other ships. And as a Rebel player im unlikely to buy and not having anything new for that long sucks. Im not wanting a SSD counter just something new for my favoured faction. And as for the people going the empire was 1 ship behind. Its not the Rebel players fault that two ships for them in the core set vs 1 imperial. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WigTii said:

Ovi, I treat the 7th Fleet and Exodus cards like any other upgrade.  Just to clarify what I meant with my post, I won't fly a ship without a name.  I stoped buying one ship for each title card when the Hammerheads were released as FFG only included a single title for a pair of ships.  I decided instead to create my own ship name tokens and to pull the names I use (outside of the ones provided by FFG) from Canon and Legends sources.  So, some of my named ships have title upgrades and some don't.  

Regarding the 7th Fleet and Exodus Fleet cards, I have 14 ships (7 ISD, 4 VSD, 3 GSD) that I can equip with the 7th Fleet upgrade, and 11 ships (3 MC80, 3 MC80-Liberty, 2 MC75, 3 MC30c) I can equip with Exodus, though those numbers will change as I continue to add more ships.  

Wow and I thought I was crazy with 4 ISD 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing that gets me...and no one else has mentioned yet...... is thats a concept SSD model NOT the release model....  (look at the right label in front of the model)

 

So will the actual SSD be shorter? fatter?  Or just have minor cosmetic changes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

unconditionally happy. i wanted this thig from the moment i knew that they are making this game. the ssd is what this game is all about. Massive space battles in star wars. with massive ships.

it would be strange to me if someone really is surprised that they actually do release the ssd. but maybe that is just my xwing background. epic play was bound to happen. and i could not be more happy about it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, XR8rGREAT said:

And as a Rebel player im unlikely to buy and not having anything new for that long sucks. Im not wanting a SSD counter just something new for my favoured faction. And as for the people going the empire was 1 ship behind. Its not the Rebel players fault that two ships for them in the core set vs 1 imperial. 

I'm one of those going "the Empire was 1 ship behind."

You're right, it's not your fault that you've been 1 ship ahead since the core set. In my opinion, you've also been another ship ahead since the MC-75 hit. While the Chimaera expansion had a lot of stuff, it was still a repaint (barely), rather than a new hull. So, while I get that you want something new and you didn't get it, it's still the case that the Rebellion has been in a form of fairness debt to the Empire for for 4 years now, and that is finally being corrected.

But I agree that it would have been better if the Executor had been announced alongside a 1v1 or 2v2 wave. Who knows, those might still come out on the Executor's heels in the same way that Wave 4 came "after" Wave 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Radaeon said:

Happy we have a release. Unlikely to ever buy one. 

I said (many also probably said same) that they can't do justice to the thing. People will complain it's not the right size or not enough guns etc to maintain game balance. And guess what's clogging the forum.

As opposed to the forums being clogged with complaints about a lack of releases, news, or info? I think I'll take the enthusiasm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Megatronrex said:

As opposed to the forums being clogged with complaints about a lack of releases, news, or info? I think I'll take the enthusiasm.

Agreed. The forum was beginning to run out of things to talk about other than justified annoyance at how FFG was ignoring armada fans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the complaints about the model size for the game when what really matters for play is BASE size, and that’s all relative.

While I get (sort of) the want for a full sized (or reasonably close) model for the SSD, it’ll work in game because its base will be “bigger than others.”

Do the same people complaining about size issues in this game also complain about how fighters are represented by base size? Does it make sense that a squadron of like ships will occupy the same amount of space as one Imperial Shuttle or other squadrons of ships that aren’t the same model? No, but it sure does work in this game. The SSD will be the same.

I’m excited for this release. Before I bailed out of X-wing I played through the cinematic play scenario with the CR-90 and it was easily the most fun I had in that game. FFG does good work with large ships, and we all know Armada is the superior game to X-wing. I’m trusting in that combo to deliver a fun product. Fun...  if not expensive (I get that complaint as well as upgrades and cards hidden behind a paywall, maybe those will also show up in the next wave).

Edited by Flavorabledeez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the enthusiasm and am happy another ship came out and it fields like it isn't a sendoff for Armada; however...
It doesn't make me happy as a wave because 1) it doesn't have something for both factions, 2) costs far too much for many to get the upgrades, and 3) took far too long between previous wave release and this announcement.


The first and third are really nothing against the ship, but a concern (still) about how the company has chosen to manage the game. This could all be remedied with communication.

The second is a problem in FFG games that they don't seem to care to fix as it is a tool for extracting money from players.

Lastly, I am not a fan of the ship as a release for two reasons. First, scale just doesn't do it for me. I get that some will love it and I am happy for them. Second, I don't love the all-in-one basket style it promotes and the utter ease with which it can swat anything. Could be wrong on this, but I feel it will further end MSU.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ryanabt said:

I love the enthusiasm and am happy another ship came out and it fields like it isn't a sendoff for Armada; however...
It doesn't make me happy as a wave because 1) it doesn't have something for both factions, 2) costs far too much for many to get the upgrades, and 3) took far too long between previous wave release and this announcement.


The first and third are really nothing against the ship, but a concern (still) about how the company has chosen to manage the game. This could all be remedied with communication.

The second is a problem in FFG games that they don't seem to care to fix as it is a tool for extracting money from players.

Lastly, I am not a fan of the ship as a release for two reasons. First, scale just doesn't do it for me. I get that some will love it and I am happy for them. Second, I don't love the all-in-one basket style it promotes and the utter ease with which it can swat anything. Could be wrong on this, but I feel it will further end MSU.

 

It’s interchangeable with 2 ISDs, essentially.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ryanabt said:

....the utter ease with which it can swat anything. Could be wrong on this, but I feel it will further end MSU.

It could hurt Raider spam MSU, potentially, yeah. But CR90s can be ok I think. And with only 6 tokens, your admiral, and upgrades, the tokens will likely start overheating fast I think. I might be drunk, but it could maybe bring BACK MSU. Those sides look mean, but without DCaps.... Potentially survivable? POTENTIALLY?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Drasnighta said:

It’s interchangeable with 2 ISDs, essentially.

 

Right, except 2 ISDs can block each other's line of sight, split their fire between two activations, are not force multiplied with officers, can have effectiveness cut in half with one destroyed, etc.

Even if this were true, it is simply yet ANOTHER ship that absolutely squashes flat MSU (non-1+3/4) builds. So in that way skews away from them.

 

Edit: Not saying it is better than 2 ISD builds. Just that it has differences that make it differently bad for MSU.

Edited by ryanabt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I play Rebels, so unhappy that nothing has been announced for them (yet?).

I could have done without huge ships altogether, I prefer when there's more ships on the table. I'm also worried about what it implies in 400-point games. How much of a "kill it or you lose" will it be? How will it impact objectives? 

My biggest disappointment is that in terms of "archetype", it's more of the same for the imperials, a big bad ship with tons of hull. I would have liked something to shake up the imperial list building instead of seeing ISD's 80% of the time.

But hey, Armada isn't dead, tons of people are happy and we'll have the SSD out of the way for future waves, so I can't be unhappy about that!

Now give me my U-Wings, Chewbacca boarding team and Rebel Interdictor....

Edited by CptAwesomer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CptAwesomer said:

I play Rebels, so unhappy that nothing has been announced for them (yet?).

I could have done without huge ships altogether, I prefer when there's more ships on the table. I'm also worried about what it implies in 400-point games. How much of a "kill it or you lose" will it be? How will it impact objectives? 

My biggest disappointment is that in terms of "archetype", it's more of the same for the imperials, a big bad ship with tons of hull. I would have liked something to shake up the imperial list building instead of seeing ISD's 80% of the time.

But hey, Armada isn't dead, tons of people are happy and we'll have the SSD out of the way for future waves.

Now give me my U-Wings, Chewbacca boarding team and Rebel Interdictor....

I’m glad they gave the Empire something gigantic in this game. I main mostly Rebels, and lately the Empire has felt less... Imperial... due to ship size, if that makes sense. I also hope they don’t bother with huge Rebel ships. I’d much rather have your examples of utilitarian pieces/cards/tactics that feel more like the rebellion than something big just to “balance” it all out.

I kind of miss the early wave days where as the rebels I had to mainly focus on objectives and rarely brought down large ships. That felt more in the spirit of things than going toe-to-toe with the Empire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Flavorabledeez said:

I’m glad they gave the Empire something gigantic in this game. I main mostly Rebels, and lately the Empire has felt less... Imperial... due to ship size, if that makes sense. I also hope they don’t bother with huge Rebel ships. I’d much rather have your examples of utilitarian pieces/cards/tactics that feel more like the rebellion than something big just to “balance” it all out.

I kind of miss the early wave days where as the rebels I had to mainly focus on objectives and rarely brought down large ships. That felt more in the spirit of things than going toe-to-toe with the Empire

I agree with this sentiment. I would like to see something that brings epic play for rebels fun, but the viscount isn't thematically appropriate. However, an epic size moncal ship is actually a very good reason why I want to see new republic as a new faction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, geek19 said:

It could hurt Raider spam MSU, potentially, yeah. But CR90s can be ok I think. And with only 6 tokens, your admiral, and upgrades, the tokens will likely start overheating fast I think. I might be drunk, but it could maybe bring BACK MSU. Those sides look mean, but without DCaps.... Potentially survivable? POTENTIALLY?

combined with objectives, I think the ssd helps msu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...