DScipio

SSD Poll Threat. Happy or not.

I'm elated.  The ship looks beautiful.  I'm not sure I'll get one ship for each title which is what I've done before, but I'll definitely be getting two of these when the release occurs. 

27 minutes ago, WigTii said:

I'm elated.  The ship looks beautiful.  I'm not sure I'll get one ship for each title which is what I've done before, but I'll definitely be getting two of these when the release occurs. 

How you do it now with 7th fleet and Mon Cala? Two more of each eligible ship? Just two more of chosen models? which two?

I'm a mixed bag.

It looks great. I didn't want one because it's going to be a wonky scale thing (personal preference). I'm also a little gun shy at $200 for one mini. Moreso because I don't get to play the game much at all due to no local player base (but especially now since I have an infant).

Will I buy one? Probably, but it's going to need to be on a big sale or whenever money falls out of the sky that doesn't have a better purpose.

I really hope there is a Wave 8 coming. Kind of a raw deal for Rebel only players if there isn't. Not also great if they can't make Q1 target release. That year long gap is... disappointing. 

I personally am more excited for Legion. Not because I play that game more, but because I do have time to paint and it's a fun and rewarding hobby. 

Edited by Stasy

I'm happy we get the SSD but I am disapointed that they skip the clone war opportunity on Armada. Clone wars for Armada/Legion instead of x-wing/Legion is a better choice in my mind...more thematical.

Like a lot of us i think the best thing that that can be made for Armada is an essential box like they did for Runewars.

6 minutes ago, LinoB said:

I'm happy we get the SSD but I am disapointed that they skip the clone war opportunity on Armada. Clone wars for Armada/Legion instead of x-wing/Legion is a better choice in my mind...more thematical.

Like a lot of us i think the best thing that that can be made for Armada is an essential box like they did for Runewars.

FFG didn't skip it, they just didn't reach it yet.

If this is Wave 8 and nothing else is announced, intensely unhappy.  If this is Wave 8 and Wave 9 releases a couple months later with 1 Rebel/1 Imperial, then I will entirely forget this exists and focus on Wave 9.

This ship costs $200 - that's far too much to spend on a single box.  I almost don't even care what upgrades come in it - I'll never have them.

Unhappy. I don't like numerous unique characters trapped in an expensive expansion, and I'm really nervous about the ship's effect on standard play. Also, it's upsetting for Rebel players, because, well...

giphy.gif

Edited by Squark

I'm happy. 

The model is beautiful and has clearly taken a lot of effort to make, with hopefully explains the long silence. Now that it's done hopefully we can get back to a more regular schedule of release announcements.

They've made a big investment to produce this and there's a lot going into Star Wars from FFG so hopefully a bright future ahead! 

3 hours ago, hulldown said:

Definitely happy. 

From my point of view this is a wishlist come true....

-  Giant model, seemingly even bigger than I had hoped.  (FFG, please get a tape measure by that thing tomorrow)
-  It comes with both two thematic insanely overpowered versions for the fluffy players and two tournament balanced versions for the competitive players.  Star Wars geeks get to unleash the full power of an SSD, tournament players get to actually use their giant ship (unlike X-Wing).
- There are eight cards in there that were previously only available from Rebel only expansions.  Imperial exclusive players not only get their biggest toy, they also won't have to buy all those Rebel ships in the future.
-  There's zero cards that aren't available to Rebels in other expansions.  Everything is either unique, in an existing Rebel expansion...or Flight Controllers.  So Rebel exclusive players are saved a big ticket item (after they ebay Flight Controllers)
-  Not one but two commanders that the community has been asking for since the game came out.

The only strike against it is the price. It's about $50 more than I realistically hoped it would be and I know locally it's going to be a struggle for a sizeable portion of the community to afford.  But I'd much rather have it at $50 more than I wanted than not and, hey,  I was willing to buy a $50 ISD four times and this thing looks like it's at least as much plastic as those are.

Very well said, to add to it:

-Armada is alive for a good while. You don't spend months playtesting a model and developing two different variants (epic/casual + tournament) for a game you are about to scrap.

-From the looks of it they did cards perfectly. There are no new or must have upgrades as they are all reprints. Only new cards are titles and officers which is completely fair. Therefore, if you are a rebel only play there is no need to buy. Even as an empire player if you cant afford it you only give up a few officers and commanders. 

- $200 is very reasonable for a model of this scale. Other SSD's on the market go for $400-600. This comes with model, cards, templates and balanced for a game.

http://www.korbanth.com/non-sabers-model-props/ssd-model-kit/

https://www.shapeways.com/product/R7XA8JZ2A/armada-super-star-destroyer-executor-3-parts?optionId=59750924

Overall very happy. Clone wars is my #1 but this looks well executed 

Edited by Gmeista

7 hours ago, FoaS said:

Cautiously happy. I'll be getting two SSDs, myself, but my concern is if this will be the only thing for Armada for the next year.

Two eh? For simulating SSD on SSD Fights?

I'm excited. I'm primarily an Imperial player, this is us getting the last word in who has the biggest batteries and the largest ship. It'll be an excellent command ship, an awesome showpiece for the inevitable battle-of-endor scenario tables, and a proper command vessel for custom 3v3 team matches where the Empire needs a great flagship.

Mixed bag.

The thing is lovely. It looks like it will "fit" with the rest of the minis on the table.

How do you store and transport that thing if you don't have a display place for it? With storage and transport in mind other than the retail box the price tag is considerably more than the considerable $200. 

How does it work in gameplay? I'm not sure how much fun it will be in that regard and that is a pretty steep price tag to just give it a try. 

I'm not unhappy but neither am I happy. 

1 hour ago, JauntyChapeau said:

I almost don't even care what upgrades come in it - I'll never have them.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that. There may be a niche number of us out there, but there are people buying more than one just to have one for display only. (Myself included). Keep an eye out after the set releases I bet many of these people will be letting the uniques out for reasonable prices. (I know I will).

I'm quite happy. The model is awesome, it looks like it's the right size for balance between scale and playability. I have it on (seemingly) good authority that it's pretty awesome in gameplay.

Also, because the Rebels get nothing. Even more so because they seem to be having a hissy fit over it, when they've been ahead all this time.

Then there are the people who declared that it would never happen.

I assure you that the positive happiness of having this in our future outweighs the Schadenfreude happiness, but the Schadenfreude happiness is real.

Hm, maybe that will be the name of my SSD. My Empire can do German ship titles.

10 minutes ago, Mikael Hasselstein said:

I'm quite happy. The model is awesome, it looks like it's the right size for balance between scale and playability. I have it on (seemingly) good authority that it's pretty awesome in gameplay.

Also, because the Rebels get nothing. Even more so because they seem to be having a hissy fit over it, when they've been ahead all this time.

Then there are the people who declared that it would never happen.

I assure you that the positive happiness of having this in our future outweighs the Schadenfreude happiness, but the Schadenfreude happiness is real.

Hm, maybe that will be the name of my SSD. My Empire can do German ship titles.

Just Schadenfreude, with Schadenfreude happiness you are doubling up on happiness (-freude), literally harm happiness happiness

Or is it Schadenfreude Happiness in english? They never really bothered teaching much of the nuances of the english language here.

Germanisms like Schadenfreude, Kindergarten, abseiling, etc. arebut they stop bothering about their intricacies.

Now, how did I get started with this again ...?

4 minutes ago, Captain_Nemo said:

Just Schadenfreude, with Schadenfreude happiness you are doubling up on happiness (-freude), literally harm happiness happiness

Or is it Schadenfreude Happiness in english? They never really bothered teaching much of the nuances of the english language here.

Germanisms like Schadenfreude, Kindergarten, abseiling, etc. arebut they stop bothering about their intricacies.

Now, how did I get started with this again ...?

I am aware that Schadenfreude is a noun (which is why it is capitalized - as one does in German), and I'm using it as an adjective. They also sometimes refer to the 'Rio Grande river' and I used to live in a place called 'Vista View Apartments'.

Now, should I nitpick the grammar of your post?

40 minutes ago, Mikael Hasselstein said:

I am aware that Schadenfreude is a noun (which is why it is capitalized - as one does in German), and I'm using it as an adjective. They also sometimes refer to the 'Rio Grande river' and I used to live in a place called 'Vista View Apartments'.

Now, should I nitpick the grammar of your post?

I am profoundly sorry.

I never intended to be nitpicky, but just to be helpful correcting a (from my view) mistake, which I fear was a misunderstanding, as I didn’t caught it as an adjective - my fault.

Anyway I then managed to loose all sense of being helpful and slipped into a showing-off/smart-aleck manner...

Again, sorry

To your examples:

Good point ?

Um, feel free to do so, if you don’t mind.

I am quiet now. ?

Edited by Captain_Nemo