DScipio

SSD Poll Threat. Happy or not.

Happy that we got news for sure.  I would like to see the Rebels get something as well if not a full normal wave.

Personally I am not calling this Wave 8 yet.  Maybe it is IDK.

After this news I would still like a Medium Rebel ship and a Small Imperial ship.  For Rebels I think it could be easy.  A Rebel Repaint of the Quasar with 2 U-Wings included.  If all we were to get in addition is a Rebel ship that would be OK too.

Edited by Thrindal

@DScipio personally I will reserve full judgement until the teasers on how this monstrosity works and if dual SSD mirror matches will even be a thing...

Tentatively I am happy but that's the schoolgirl/fangirl status talking

1 hour ago, Green Knight said:

Happy now.

Will be intensely unhappy if it ships in 2019.

Could be worse. I know you remember wave 1 

1 hour ago, FoaS said:

Cautiously happy. I'll be getting two SSDs, myself, but my concern is if this will be the only thing for Armada for the next year.

Another reason for my tentative happiness 

9 minutes ago, Kirin said:

Happy (kinda) - I don't think the SSD will add anything to the game. It's certainly cool and pretty and all but it's a still a novelty. I'd much rather had some "serious" releases, including Armada being part of The Clone Wars surge of late.

This is where I am also. It should be in the game, but it will be interesting to see if it makes it on the table much. Glad there is news, don’t want to complain....wish we were included in the clone wars stuff.

1 hour ago, Ewok on Stilts said:

I know, but I’m sure with it’s stats it’s going to cost a huge chunk of fleet points, so at 400 it’s going to be a ship you build a fleet around, and you likely won’t have a lot of space for other ships. 

It will be awesome for 1000 point campaign battles. 

That’s not what you said though.  You listed epic play and it’s going to be cheaper then you think.

As happy as possible. The scale looks great next to the ISD and VSD!

Considering I have 4 ISDs and each one has an MSRP of $50, $200 isn't bad. The actual price for my area will be about $170.

I'm also glad that it's playable in 400 point games, but I having difficulty imagining how it works out in practice. Maybe there is a special set of epic objectives, and any player who brings an epic ship is automatically second player? It's been in development for so long and there have been many delays that I expect they did a good job of adapting it for 400 point games. I'm not as into Armada as I used to be, so I definitely would have liked to have seen it sooner, but if they thought it needed all of this development time I will certainly believe them!

Without having seen a preview article, my initial reaction is unhappy.  I don't like the scale they chose, despite the model itself looking good.  I'm also not happy at that price point.  I am glad some people are getting what they want, but I'm concerned that FFG takes a year+ to rebalance stuff and if this isn't balanced really well for a 400 point game then this thing is either worthless for tournaments or going to seriously warp the meta in a bad way.  Not complaining about that yet as we haven't really seen anything other than the model but this is my fear.

I'm also unhappy because as of yet this is the only product announcement - they didn't say this was it nor did they say there was something else coming either before or with this expansion.  Given that the last product shipped was Q1 2018 (and late at that) and this one scheduled for Q1 2019 (and they often slip release dates), if this is all there is then it will be 18ish months between buying new products for a sizable chunk of the player base.

Happyish. If it unbalanced the game then less so. Waiting to see what the rebel scum get. Will be a fun addition but will it mean Armada epic is a different game?

Ambivalent

Pro - Armada is still supported

Con - Potentially scares off casuals, who won't have a release for effectively 1.5-2 years.  Also, I left 40k for good when large models (fliers) and super vehicles (baneblades) became standard fare and not just IA, special occasion-only choices.  Chose not to come back to 8th when I saw Titans and other absurdly large models on the table.

Ugly - Even as a primarily Imperial player, I still have no intention of paying $200 for a single model. Oh well.

Unphased.

I was never a fan of an SSD, though I acknowledge many people are and it was inevitable. Either way, I won’t be buying one because of the price and storage problems it would cause.

Unhappy.

Giant epic scale ship that will be nearly unplayable in regular play (or grossly overpowered).  It will be either everywhere or nowhere. 

Expensive unit.  Unique stuff that will be pay-walled behind the unit so that you can't get those options unless you shell out the money.

It's currently uncontested on it's scale.

A full wave of stuff would have been more interesting to all players.

The only real positive is that it shows they at least still remember we exist.

Don't get me wrong, I'll buy one, but I still hate the idea of it.  The epic stuff is where X-wing really went off the rails for me.

Definitely happy. 

From my point of view this is a wishlist come true....

-  Giant model, seemingly even bigger than I had hoped.  (FFG, please get a tape measure by that thing tomorrow)
-  It comes with both two thematic insanely overpowered versions for the fluffy players and two tournament balanced versions for the competitive players.  Star Wars geeks get to unleash the full power of an SSD, tournament players get to actually use their giant ship (unlike X-Wing).
- There are eight cards in there that were previously only available from Rebel only expansions.  Imperial exclusive players not only get their biggest toy, they also won't have to buy all those Rebel ships in the future.
-  There's zero cards that aren't available to Rebels in other expansions.  Everything is either unique, in an existing Rebel expansion...or Flight Controllers.  So Rebel exclusive players are saved a big ticket item (after they ebay Flight Controllers)
-  Not one but two commanders that the community has been asking for since the game came out.

The only strike against it is the price. It's about $50 more than I realistically hoped it would be and I know locally it's going to be a struggle for a sizeable portion of the community to afford.  But I'd much rather have it at $50 more than I wanted than not and, hey,  I was willing to buy a $50 ISD four times and this thing looks like it's at least as much plastic as those are.

Edited by hulldown

Armada is still not dead, so super happy. I would have been even happier if they would have announced the Dreadnought class, but oh wel, I can live with the SSD and whatever else they are giving for the Rebels :)

34 minutes ago, hulldown said:

The only strike against it is the price. It's about $50 more than I realistically hoped it would be and I know locally it's going to be a struggle for a sizeable portion of the community to afford.  But I'd much rather have it at $50 more than I wanted than not and, hey,  I was willing to buy a $50 ISD four times and this thing looks like it's at least as much plastic as those are.

How much would one expect to pay, retail, for a SSD display model kit that size, I wonder? It looks to be on the order of 30" or 76 cm long.

Then take into account that this doesn't need to be assembled and painted.

2 minutes ago, Ironlord said:

How much would one expect to pay, retail, for a SSD display model kit that size, I wonder? It looks to be on the order of 30" or 76 cm long.

Then take into account that this doesn't need to be assembled and painted.

Honestly I expected a SSD to cost around 300€. So it is already way cheaper than I expected.