Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AintNoPoser

Scum is Dead!

Recommended Posts

After the announcement of Clone Wars being added, those who say scum will be the next faction can finally sit down. I'm glad scum isn't in and we got CW. There are far better characters and everyone loves it; if you hate it, you belong in the Sarlaac. Hopefully the word scum is only mentioned to those rebel players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, AintNoPoser said:

After the announcement of Clone Wars being added, those who say scum will be the next faction can finally sit down. I'm glad scum isn't in and we got CW. There are far better characters and everyone loves it; if you hate it, you belong in the Sarlaac. Hopefully the word scum is only mentioned to those rebel players. 

So the Clone Wars cartoons have plenty of Scum stuff in it... I didn't hear FFG specifically say "Republic and CIS ONLY." Additionally, just because the Scum isn't next doesn't mean it won't happen eventually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

So the Clone Wars cartoons have plenty of Scum stuff in it... I didn't hear FFG specifically say "Republic and CIS ONLY." Additionally, just because the Scum isn't next doesn't mean it won't happen eventually.

I really like the Scum units in imperial assault so I hope we at least see them make their way into Legion, even if they end up as Imperial operatives or whatever. I'd be up for a Scum faction too though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TylerTT said:

The unit of Wookiee means they will do whatever they feel like. 

A wookie unit sets the game well past ROTJ. 

Very much this. 

Clone Wars opens up a few more scum options anyway with the Weequay pirates, and even more Hutts. 

Edit: Well past ROTJ, but somehow Vader and the Emperor survived... More of making the game a "What if?" After all, Legion is not canon. 

Edited by Caimheul1313

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Very much this. 

Clone Wars opens up a few more scum options anyway with the Weequay pirates, and even more Hutts. 

Edit: Well past ROTJ, but somehow Vader and the Emperor survived... More of making the game a "What if?" After all, Legion is not canon. 

We want Old-bi-Wan! We want Old-bi-wan!

Edited by CaptainRocket

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scum makes no sense in a Legion setting. it made sense in Xwing because a band of 2-4 ships randomly working together made sense, about ~40 individual bounty hunters or smugglers does not.

Not to mention they have no "Commander" type that would even do anything. All the big boss guys are like Jabba, they themselves dont do anything theyre just very influential and smart. The badass guys that do the work are solo operatives, not generals.

They would be far, far better off as "hired hands" not a normal army.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Vineheart01 said:

Scum makes no sense in a Legion setting. it made sense in Xwing because a band of 2-4 ships randomly working together made sense, about ~40 individual bounty hunters or smugglers does not.

Not to mention they have no "Commander" type that would even do anything. All the big boss guys are like Jabba, they themselves dont do anything theyre just very influential and smart. The badass guys that do the work are solo operatives, not generals.

They would be far, far better off as "hired hands" not a normal army.

The Ohnaka Gang are shown in the Clone Wars cartoon as having tanks and speeder bikes, a fair sized base with at LEAST 40 pirates in it, and lead by Hondo Ohnaka, a Weequay pirate who gets his hands dirty (when he can't avoid it at least, but he is shown to be a fairly competent fighter). As well, you have Shadow Collective, an alliance of crime syndicates lead by Darth Maul with the goal of bringing down both the CIS and the Republic, later becoming the Crimson Dawn. The Mandalorian Death Watch was notably a part of the Shadow Collective, and led by Pre Vizsla, who would also make a decent commander. The Hutts are only one crime syndicate, you shouldn't assume all the crime syndicates operate the same way. Some are ruled by people who enforce their will ruthlessly in person. 

As well, the description "they themselves dont do anything theyre just very influential and smart" describes  Emperor Palpatine incredibly well as far as all of the Star Wars media is concerned. Yet the next Commander due for the Empire is none other than the Emperor. So that argument doesn't really hold water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Scum makes no sense in a Legion setting. it made sense in Xwing because a band of 2-4 ships randomly working together made sense, about ~40 individual bounty hunters or smugglers does not.

I dunno, Cloud Riders or Crimson Dawn, etc. would work great as cross faction mercenaries, or a standalone merc army.

Thinking of what we saw in Solo I think those would be represented in Legion by at least two units and a commander. It's not that much bigger an operation to field a 800pt army.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Palpatine does have force powers though. Hes not inept and doesnt know how to fight, he just knows he doesnt have to most of the time.

Could you seriously see Jabba in Legion?

Yes I could. Speed 1, Pulling the Strings, Entourage with a Guardian unit and no attack. Maybe even pass out some kind of token. A purely augmentative commander, making the rest of your forces better, not one you want to get into combat. As a side note, Pulling the Strings seems REAL good with snipers or other named trooper Commanders/Operatives. 

But as I pointed out in my last post, there are plenty of other CANON Scum Commanders that could be included. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope they don’t add Scum. Not because I don’t want to see the characters, but because they’ve already added Boba Fett in the Imperial faction and they will no doubt add others. Then it becomes the mess that was X-Wing all over again with poor faction identity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BobaIcedTea said:

Clone Wars is an animation. Not a cartoon. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cartoon Definition 3: Animated Cartoon (a motion picture that is made from a series of drawings, computer graphics, or photographs of inanimate objects (such as puppets) and that simulates movement by slight progressive changes in each frame)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a huge fan but clone wars has sooo much material for this game, it would be hard for them not to do so. So they'll do clone wars next year and the year after they'll have scum. I am sure First Order and Resistance will get their due too.

It is FFG, they will make everything....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JediPartisan said:

I hope they don’t add Scum. Not because I don’t want to see the characters, but because they’ve already added Boba Fett in the Imperial faction and they will no doubt add others. Then it becomes the mess that was X-Wing all over again with poor faction identity. 

More options is always better than less options IMO, and I'd certainly rather have plenty of Scum models for both their own faction and as mercs for other factions than preserve some artificially pure notion of "faction identity". I mean you literally see both sides employing Scum right there in the OT, and we absolutely know there are a lot of Scum factions out there that can muster the kind of force that graces a Legion tabletop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TylerTT said:

A wookie unit sets the game well past ROTJ. 

How do you figure that?  The Battle of Kashyyk is in episode III so I could see it being before A New Hope.  But it’s not like Wookiees disappeared from the universe during the GCW.  Probably could cobble a group of four together in any era of Star Wars history.

 

Edit:  I am not a big fan of the Clone Wars cartoon (it is a cartoon guys - I have nothing against cartoons).  I’m always baffled how people can have such disdain for the prequels then gobble up the badly written, hokey, wooden acting of a cartoon... But the factions and units from that show and the corresponding prequel movies (episode 2 and 3) make great sense for a game like Legion.  I also don’t see any reason not to have a Scum faction, although I rather like the idea of having “mercenary” scum units thatcan be “hired” by any of the existing factions.  

 

 

 

Edited by BigBadAndy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are very few free Wookiee in the GCW era. Sure four could team up but by being a non unique uint we are going to see them everywhere and some folks will be running 12 + chewbaka. 

So it makes the game feel more like it’s a post GCW era game. 

Not a bad thing. But the point was they will do what they please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TylerTT said:

There are very few free Wookiee in the GCW era. Sure four could team up but by being a non unique uint we are going to see them everywhere and some folks will be running 12 + chewbaka. 

So it makes the game feel more like it’s a post GCW era game. 

Not a bad thing. But the point was they will do what they please.

I agree that they will do whatever they want (and they should).  So I hate to nitpick.  But even if someone runs Han, Chewie and nothing but Wookiees  (16-20?) that it would be somehow out of place in the GCW era.

Anyway I’m mostly just thrilled to have another squad with less than 7 minis to paint.  I really enjoy the painting but I’m falling way behind on my collection!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TylerTT said:

There are very few free Wookiee in the GCW era. Sure four could team up but by being a non unique uint we are going to see them everywhere and some folks will be running 12 + chewbaka. 

So it makes the game feel more like it’s a post GCW era game. 

Not a bad thing. But the point was they will do what they please.

Have they brought that into the new Canon?  

Cuz yeah we saw some slave wookies in Solo but they weren't owned by the Empire, and we've seen slave humans in TPM and yet we don't assume many or most humans are slaves.

Wookiee's were loyal to the republic in the war and had a seat in the Senate.  The Senate didn't eject all the aliens when the empire arose (wouldn't be much senate) and wasn't dissolved until immediately before the Battle of Yavin.

So, unless it's got direct reference in the new canon, I'm not seeing that plot threat anymore.  I could see it if they were sepratists, but they weren't, it just doesn't make any sense in the new timeline.

Edited by Zrob314

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...