Npmartian

What scares me about the SSD

Just now, Shadow345 said:

Just wait till Light side gets Admiral Holdo.

One shotting Imperial Flagships for days!

It’s only one shot if it’s destroyed ?

... I remember bunches of scenes in it afterwards, and never hearing it was actually destroyed...

9 hours ago, Npmartian said:

I really, truly, hope that this won't have any really strong, must-buy upgrades. Not that I won't try to get it, but I don't want to be forced to buy a $200 dollar pack for one upgrade in a game that I (rather unfortunately) won't be able to play much anymore. X-Wing 1st Edition had a similar problem with the Raider expansion and the Emperor Palpatine crew card, and I'm hoping this won't be a similar sitiuation. Personally, I'd like to see the SSD in its own Epic format, along with Palpatine and Piett being exclusively for that format.  Anybody else with me or am I paranoid?

Isn't that already the case with the 2 new admirals?  That's the biggest bummer for me.  I assume if you wait long enough, there will be alt-art versions of the admirals, but if you need Piett or the Emperor ASAP, you're going to be shelling out $200.

It's going to be a hard sell, I agree.  I'm not particularly interested in buying more ships I'm never going to use because I don't play the Epic format.  Especially when they are more than my car payment.

5 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

There are variants for standard games...

bug yey, price is an issue for me too

Oh really?  That's interesting actually.  I'll probably still have to wait until I can get it for a good price.  I just don't see my wife being up for that.  I have all the X-Wing Epic ships and she still gets mad when she sees them saying, "You never played with them.  That's like $300 of stuff sitting on a shelf!"

I keep telling myself I need to cut back on my game hobbies, but it hasn't happened yet...

On one hand, I see the SSD as a model/mantel piece for a lot of folks.  I have no idea how much a replica Star Trek enterprise is but I gotta think the $200 is competitive?

As for must-have upgrades, at the highest levels of competition, I always assume somebody is gonna have enough money (and or borrow off their friends) to have whatever they want to build.  Some may argue that it's "pay to win" but not everyone has the means to go to Minnesota for Worlds as well.  It's just the reality.

That being said, I'd like to think that below the Regional level, your TO would let you play with photocopies... I really do believe that FFG wants us to have fun with toys they make.  I guess the real analogy is like the World Series of Poker.  You can play weekly with your buddies or you can stake up 10k to play in the Vegas tourney.

14 hours ago, PodRacer said:

Maybe If I go first and pick fleet ambush then can't deploy without hitting debris, I can just leave it in the box??

"Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral! I want that ship, not excuses!"

15 hours ago, Shadow345 said:

And Admiral Motti from Wave 1 is still a commander everyone uses for a general good stuff Imperial Fleet.

Motti would need a faq for that beast to a new hull size maybe 4-5 extra..... Arghhhh