Jump to content
Otakuon

Well, this was....sort of unexpected.

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, rsdockery said:

Wait, they're already available? Where?

I think he means when they are available they're available online. Unless I'm misunderstanding, haha.

Edited by Soakman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, rsdockery said:

Wait, they're already available? Where?

Haha, oops.  I meant they will be.  2-3 weeks before the event.  I think.

It was October 13-15 last year, and I bought my tickets on September 26th.  (Hurray for email searches!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am excited about it!

It's kind of like AHLCG + MoM + EH (a lil).

The only thing I am skeptical of is... that there are no more "double-sided" cards... no more flipping to find out what might happen I think.. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was able to demo once at the con.  This is something our demo guy said.  "AH 3e takes good stuff from AH 2e and combines it with good stuff from the LCG to make a completely new experience.  AH 3e doesn't invalidate or replace 2e and it is a whole new way to experience Arkham."  Admittedly I only have about 20 minutes exposure, but the game play mechanics and structure was familiar, fresh and fun.  At first glance I didn't like the hub style board pieces, but after playing with them and seeing how they work I reversed my opinion.  Having the neighborhood hub tile design allows for expansions to 'connect' with the base game instead of being abstract side boards.  There is also a campaign/story as part of the experience, but the demo didn't really have time to get into it.  Based on what little I have played and what I have seen/read, this appears to be a pretty amazing game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in once I heard about how each of the scenarios has narrative branches based on events in play and things like board state that alter the scenario. So the 4 in the box are really many more as each has a number of permutations. It sounds like a fuller version of the story card deck mechanic I loved in Fallout. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite upset, I found out late I guess about AH 3rd ED. Had spent about $160 on AH 2nd Ed. Checked the "upcoming" on FFG site for Innsmouth Horror pretty religiously, and one day it just wasn't there. Now I read the first few posts on here and I'm understanding EH is a dead system too. I spent about $210 on EH. So all in all since my birthday in March I guess I'm out $370. To my knowledge I never received any warning either game or edition was dead, and I'm pretty mad. Those are the last games I will ever buy from FFG. On another site I heard "you can't expect them to reprint expansions 9.5 years old". My reply to that is WOTC has reprinted the main 1st edition AD&D hardcovers and either 6 or 9 classic modules from the late 70's lol. Most stuff from that era is also available as print on demand as well. Rant over. Bye FFG!

Edited by Irish1896

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Irish1896 said:

Quite upset, I found out late I guess about AH 3rd ED. Had spent about $160 on AH 2nd Ed. Checked the "upcoming" on FFG site for Innsmouth Horror pretty religiously, and one day it just wasn't there. Now I read the first few posts on here and I'm understanding EH is a dead system too. I spent about $210 on EH. So all in all since my birthday in March I guess I'm out $370. To my knowledge I never received any warning either game or edition was dead, and I'm pretty mad. Those are the last games I will ever buy from FFG. On another site I heard "you can't expect them to reprint expansions 9.5 years old". My reply to that is WOTC has reprinted the main 1st edition AD&D hardcovers and either 6 or 9 classic modules from the late 70's lol. Most stuff from that era is also available as print on demand as well. Rant over. Bye FFG!

Not to come off sounding rude in this response, but how is it that just because a game is no longer being made does that take away your ability to enjoy the game that you've already purchased? Just because a new version of the game is being made doesn't negate what you already own. Also comparing this to classic D&D modules is a bit unfair as you're talking about print material which is easily reproduced. A board game is not typical print on demand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed with Lord Pyrex. I get the disappointment for being unable to get some of the expansions, but what you have is 100% playable and should grant you countless hours of fun. I'm still playing 2nd edition, and I don't plan on stopping any time soon. Eldritch's not dead at the moment: even if they don't expand it any longer (nobody has a clue about it at the moment), expansions should be available for a while, so that that collection can be completed easily. And Eldritch alone has enough material to guarantee one game a week for a decade or so.

Reprints of AD&D 1st are quite an inappropriate comparison: there's possibly nothing around that had such an impact on the gaming world as the first D&D games. So, there's a lot of reasons to reprint these: collectors, nostalgic players, people interested in the history of RPG, whatevs. AH occupies a smaller portion of that market, and EH an even smaller portion (not comparing the two games sayin' which is better, but simply AH 2nd is unbeatable here: it came out at the perfect marketing moment with the perfect theme, and started a revolution in boardgames. EH arrived later, when coop was already a thing, and when there's plenty of Mythos-related games)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But anyway, considering how expensive items from 2nd edition are now on ebay, you can easily get your money back with quite a gain by selling these items, if you want to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The combat preview is interesting. It sounds like they have crafted a combat system that is a hybrid between Eldritch Horror and the best pieces of the LCG combat mechanics. I especially like how evading damage is now something distinct the character does a la the LCG (I always love having Wendy go in, confront then Evade the monsters which taps them). 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And that D&D Advanced did go out of print, and was only reprinted how many decades later because Wizards thought they could make money on it.

Edited by Duciris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Julia said:

Agreed with Lord Pyrex. I get the disappointment for being unable to get some of the expansions, but what you have is 100% playable and should grant you countless hours of fun. I'm still playing 2nd edition, and I don't plan on stopping any time soon. Eldritch's not dead at the moment: even if they don't expand it any longer (nobody has a clue about it at the moment), expansions should be available for a while, so that that collection can be completed easily. And Eldritch alone has enough material to guarantee one game a week for a decade or so.

Yep There still is a lot of to play with those two games. I am somewhat pleased that the EH does not get even bigger and more harder to manage. Even now there are a lot of things to include to the game and find all the pieces... Though much easier than in AH 2nd :)

The new version seems to be interesting and different enough that it will take place beside my old AH 2nd and EH and AH LCG and be a proud member of that game family!

 

Edited by Hannibal_pjv
typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2018 at 7:44 PM, Julia said:

But anyway, considering how expensive items from 2nd edition are now on ebay, you can easily get your money back with quite a gain by selling these items, if you want to.

I can ***** til my eyes turn blue, and it doesn't matter. I know it doesn't matter to FFG for sure. I will either play what games I already bought, or try to get some of my money back on eBay. Just done with FFG's is all. Not one more penny from me. 

Edited by Irish1896

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2018 at 6:21 PM, Irish1896 said:

Quite upset, I found out late I guess about AH 3rd ED. Had spent about $160 on AH 2nd Ed. Checked the "upcoming" on FFG site for Innsmouth Horror pretty religiously, and one day it just wasn't there. Now I read the first few posts on here and I'm understanding EH is a dead system too. I spent about $210 on EH. So all in all since my birthday in March I guess I'm out $370. To my knowledge I never received any warning either game or edition was dead, and I'm pretty mad. Those are the last games I will ever buy from FFG. On another site I heard "you can't expect them to reprint expansions 9.5 years old". My reply to that is WOTC has reprinted the main 1st edition AD&D hardcovers and either 6 or 9 classic modules from the late 70's lol. Most stuff from that era is also available as print on demand as well. Rant over. Bye FFG!

Yes because a book and a boardgame are exactly the same thing  ?
Arkham Horror was released in 2005. You seriously can't expect Fantasy Flight to reprint a board game and all it's expansions for all eternity? It's been 13 years. This isn't monopoly or UNO.  And if you want Innsmouth so bad...just go to ebay and buy it?

What are you talking about Eldritch being dead? All of the expansions plus the main games is still available to purchase, they are still being printed. EH has enough content to last you for a very very long time. Or do you want more investigators? ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×