eMeM

CLONE WARS CONFIRMED

1 minute ago, HolySorcerer said:

Serious question.  If the kids grew up with the prequels why would they care at all?  The films were terrible, both for kids and adults.  The adults had to sit through the most poorly shot, poorly written, boring garbage in cinematic history, while the kids had to watch boring political dialog and people walking down hallways or sitting on couches.  They had no nostalgia holding them there, why would they stay?

I guess I'm just baffled that anybody has any interest in prequel stuff, but I'm just a grumpy old man.  I'll leave you kids to play with your padmes and midiclorians and sand.  Just stay off of my lawn!

I think you are mistaken when you say there is no nostalgia. I have nostalgia for some of Episode 1 based on experiences around it more than the movie itself. But it still had one or two saving graces, the Duel of Fates (fight scene and music) being probably the most prominent.

Then we have the subject of the Clone Wars cartoon which did a lot to make this era more interesting and give characters like Anakin a better showing than in the movies.

5 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

Serious question.  If the kids grew up with the prequels why would they care at all?  The films were terrible, both for kids and adults.  The adults had to sit through the most poorly shot, poorly written, boring garbage in cinematic history, while the kids had to watch boring political dialog and people walking down hallways or sitting on couches.  They had no nostalgia holding them there, why would they stay?

I guess I'm just baffled that anybody has any interest in prequel stuff, but I'm just a grumpy old man.  I'll leave you kids to play with your padmes and midiclorians and sand.  Just stay off of my lawn!

If it was just for the movies, I would probably agree with you, but since we also have 5.5 awesome seasons of Clone Wars (and one more coming), I can’t wait to see those ships hit the table!

5 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

They weren’t THAT bad.

Granted, I’ll give you there is plenty of not good things in them. They aren’t OT or Rogue One good.

7 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

Everyone has different opinions. 

I personally love the PT just as much as the OT, maybe even a bit more when you factor the CW show as well.

I was 16 when TPM came out so not exactly a "kid", but still young enough to have a big impact. 

The funny thing is, a few months ago I was getting very close to quitting the game until massive fixes or a new edition came out, ORRR clone wars era ships were announced.

I've now gotten both those things and couldn't be happier with the state of the game now (my wallet not so much though).

18 minutes ago, Mrk1984 said:

Remember, kids that were 5-8 when the Phantom Menace released are now 24-27 years old, prime ages for people to spend their own money on games. They grew up with the prequels and they haven't had anything that caters to them in a while. There isn't much to release for the OT, but there are plenty of ships in the Clone Wars Era to release for the next few years. But if it isn't your cup of tea, don't buy it.

I'm curious on how they will deal with the Droid ships, will they all be like IG, same cost, same initiatives but different abilities? 

I’m in that age group... I would have preferred my childhood horrors were not brought into this game.

?

11 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

You would be surprised how much kids of that age enjoyed them... 

8 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

I think you are mistaken when you say there is no nostalgia. I have nostalgia for some of Episode 1 based on experiences around it more than the movie itself. But it still had one or two saving graces, the Duel of Fates (fight scene and music) being probably the most prominent.

Then we have the subject of the Clone Wars cartoon which did a lot to make this era more interesting and give characters like Anakin a better showing than in the movies.

The kids had no nostalgia going into the prequel films.

6 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

They weren’t THAT bad.

Granted, I’ll give you there is plenty of not good things in them. They aren’t OT or Rogue One good.

They were.

Also, Rogue One is over-rated and not that great either.  There is a great movie in there somewhere, but the theatrical cut wasn't it.

nothing could have killed my excitement for second edition more than this. Oh well, if it keeps the game viable for longer, I'll live with it. cool thing is I don't have to buy cross faction! yay! but if i'm gonna be honest, the collector in me will want these on my shelf sooner or later. but prob later, much later, lol. Happy for those that are excited for it. And I'll enjoy blasting those ships off the table as much as I am able to. that actually sounds like a good time. ?

Edited by PanchoX1

I liked the prequels more than I like the new films. TLJ was pretty bad in my opinion and I just can't get into the new story line. Luckily for me I am into this game for the fun gameplay and cool ships. I'll probably stick to Imperial for financial reasons but will keep my eye on the prequels factions and their styles.

1 minute ago, HolySorcerer said:

The kids had no nostalgia going into the prequel films.

So? I grew up with Star Wars. I remember going to see the Special Edition of A New Hope in the theater. That plus lots of games, toys, and books meant I was very hyped on Star Wars going into the prequals. Maybe it wasn’t under the strict definition of nostalgia, but that’s because I was still living Star Wars. And not having nostalgia for something before it comes out is contrary to what nostalgia means. People are nostalgia of the prequel era now, not when it was going on because that’s how nostalgia works.

What concerns me (and should at least register with anyone overjoyed by this news) is that the design team had enough trouble balancing three factions together, never mind then SEVEN they're setting themselves up for with this. I was concerned enough that they would be able to handle the five that the Resistance and FO split would create. Adding the prequel factions too seems like insanity - and for that matter, were there really that many prequel ships worth talking about? We already have the ARC-170, Z-95 and Y-Wing, the LAAT/i gunship seemed like an atmospheric thing (not that that stopped the Striker, I suppose)...so that leaves the Jedi and Sith ships (potentially moderately interesting) and a bunch of nameless, faceless droid ships for whom pilot abilities wouldn't make any sense at all.
What else is there? The friggin' banana boat N-1 from Phantom Menace? Dear lord I hope not.

10 minutes ago, PanchoX1 said:

nothing could have killed my excitement for second edition more than this. Oh well, if it keeps the game viable for longer, I'll live with it. cool thing is I don't have to buy cross faction! yay! but if i'm gonna be honest, the collector in me will want these on my shelf sooner or later. but prob later, much later, lol. Happy for those that are excited for it. And I'll enjoy blasting those ships off the table as much as I am able to. that actually sounds like a good time. ?

See. A win win for you. You can expand your collection when you see fit and shoot hole in spinny boy. :D

5 hours ago, LordFajubi said:

This pretty much cements my opinion that rebels and imperials are complete for xwing. Between rereleases and now 4 other factions needing to catch up there isn’t much need to make anything new for old school. Happy about the jedi fighter though, loved those in galaxies.

Nah, I suspect they will still at the very least trickle stuff down via new pilots and upgrades to rereleased ships not to mention the model updates like with the X-Wing and Y-Wing. Throw in some additional fighters like the Heavy Tie and they will get some love.

5 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Remember when people used to piss and moan about a 3rd?

*snort*

I honestly think this will help game balance and diversity.  With 7 choices, you'll see a lot more different things on the table, because everyone can run their favorite era.

My only critique might be than now S&V sorta becomes this dumb catch-all, regardless of era.

Exactly, I love the idea of them bringing the factions to the game. Its a metaphorical toy box, let me do with it what I want, be it some large scale Endor event with Armada, X-Wing, and Legion or an RPG where the Rebels are going in and stealing some Clone Wars surplus ships while encountering pirates trying to do the same to bolster their forces. 

Edited by Animewarsdude

2 minutes ago, MalusCalibur said:

What concerns me (and should at least register with anyone overjoyed by this news) is that the design team had enough trouble balancing three factions together, never mind then SEVEN they're setting themselves up for with this. I was concerned enough that they would be able to handle the five that the Resistance and FO split would create. Adding the prequel factions too seems like insanity - and for that matter, were there really that many prequel ships worth talking about? We already have the ARC-170, Z-95 and Y-Wing, the LAAT/i gunship seemed like an atmospheric thing (not that that stopped the Striker, I suppose)...so that leaves the Jedi and Sith ships (potentially moderately interesting) and a bunch of nameless, faceless droid ships for whom pilot abilities wouldn't make any sense at all.
What else is there? The friggin' banana boat N-1 from Phantom Menace? Dear lord I hope not.

I want the N1 for the simple desire of being able to have Leia actually fly a ship in the game. As for the Republic and Separatists, they have a large number of ships that they could pull from to add. Trust me, people have made lists and they at the very least have enough stuff that could bring them up to equal with what the Rebels, Imperials, and Scum have at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

I want the N1 for the simple desire of being able to have Leia actually fly a ship in the game. As for the Republic and Separatists, they have a large number of ships that they could pull from to add. Trust me, people have made lists and they at the very least have enough stuff that could bring them up to equal with what the Rebels, Imperials, and Scum have at the moment. 

That N-1 specifically would end up Rebel faction? Like Sabine's Tie?

1 minute ago, MalusCalibur said:

ARC-170
BLT-B Y-wing
V-19 Torrent
Clone Z-95 
N-1 Starfighter
Alpha-3 Nimbus
Delta-7 Aetherspire
Eta-2 Actis
LAAT/i
Patrol Gunship
Eta-class shuttle
Nu-class transport
Theta-class shuttle
T-6 Shuttle

This is just on-screen canon material, much more than Rebels and Empire had to go with before going deep into Legends. 

LAAT/i is indeed space capable, and so is TIE Striker.

SpaceGunship-CR.png

36266f10afe993f5.jpg

8 minutes ago, MalusCalibur said:

What concerns me (and should at least register with anyone overjoyed by this news) is that the design team had enough trouble balancing three factions together, never mind then SEVEN they're setting themselves up for with this.

Wouldn’t this be easier in the sense that you have less comboability by separating factions? I understand what you mean if it’s a concern of one faction being stronger than the others though. 

The announcement also seems to make it clear that the plan for competitive play is to only allow the wave release ships. No way the original 3 are allowed their pool of ships against the other 4. 

4 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

Nah, I suspect they will still at the very least trickle stuff down via new pilots and upgrades to rereleased ships not to mention the model updates like with the X-Wing and Y-Wing. Throw in some additional fighters like the Heavy Tie and they will get some love.

Oh I don’t think it’s forever dead but yeah for a good while. Pilots and Upgrades like you said will be the big adds. But aside from Solo there isn’t much to add ship-wise. When FFG said they were going aggressive with releases people assumed all factions would get new toys but they never promised that and this new 7 faction world looks pretty aggressive without inflation.