Zamalekite

New SSD Photos & Info

1 hour ago, Jukey said:

I have one question though....

How do I deploy that monstrosity, and how do I turn without kicking a rear corner off the edge of the table?

Many SSDs died from venturing into unknown space.

When X-wing first introduced large bases (which had similar issues with deployment when they wanted to be at an angle), the rules allowed them to extend outside of their deployment zone provided part of the base was in contact with their player edge. I could see something similar being done here.

Edited by DR4CO

7 hours ago, Darth Lupine said:

Can someone decipher the card spread??

Not the card spread but I have that top ship card. It's speed 2 which you can tell because FFG likes to blank out speeds not used and you can see a double wide red areas there. I can tell it's 6 shields (obviously) with 4 red and 4 blue, tops sides are (I believe) are 3 red 2 black, back sides are 2 red 2 blue (could be 1 blue 1 black with the 2 red). Red and blue AS, 22 hull, 2 brace, 2 redirect, 2 contain, one has 3 officers, it looks like 4 engineering and 5 Squadron but this is the command variant I believe so ehhh 

Something interesting here... The top ship card I am looking at has a weird color die symbol. It looks orange and it is where black would be on a card but FFG doesn't stick to the same layout for such things but it's only on the side arcs. On the top side it's in the 2 symbol column bottom symbol and bottom arc it's the right column bottom symbol 

Now there is NO PROOF (other than my rusty imagery skills) that there will be a new die color but I think there is a new die color and I think it will be orange. 

20180802_004741.jpg

Edited by Lyraeus

16 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

Something interesting here... The top ship card I am looking at has a weird color die symbol. It looks orange and it is where black would be on a card but FFG doesn't stick to the same layout for such things but it's only on the side arcs. On the top side it's in the 2 symbol column bottom symbol and bottom arc it's the right column bottom symbol 

Now there is NO PROOF (other than my rusty imagery skills) that there will be a new die color but I think there is a new die color and I think it will be orange. 

20180802_004741.jpg

If it had new dice wouldn't that be in the components spread?

1 hour ago, Lyraeus said:

Not the card spread but I have that top ship card. It's speed 2 which you can tell because FFG likes to blank out speeds not used and you can see a double wide red areas there.

Looks like it's speed 1 to me; only one grey column on the left.

8 hours ago, Plessiez said:

I wonder what tactical choices the SSD player will get to make during a game besides trundle forwards and shoot? I can see an interesting game for the opposition player trying to arc-dodge and chip away at it. Less sure where the fun is for the controlling player (apart from getting to flop their huge dreadnaught out of course).

For Defense and Navigation objectives it is obvious: Contested Outpost to claim the station forever and Intel Sweep or Sensor Net. Those tokens won't be far enough never ever.

8 hours ago, Indy_com said:

We get the Lusankya title.:ph34r:

It was already discussed with the Quasar expansion

6 hours ago, LTD said:

Can't fit in the deployment zone unless sideways - can't turn unless its butt goes off the table - going to hit every rock and debris field multiple times - this is going to be so much fun!

I'll just put four TRC90s in the same arc and rip it to shreds. Hilarious!

SSD2.thumb.JPG.627c8b82cfdc8b6d10e8eb4b2

Rear base allow maneuver rule to insert in, turning just like a big ship. The bow will turn insanely though.

5 hours ago, Thraug said:

• If it has to deploy sideways, can it even make one turn without its rear-end going out of play?

See above.

3 minutes ago, ovinomanc3r said:

Rear base allow maneuver rule to insert in, turning just like a big ship. The bow will turn insanely though.

But not as much as the rear if you use the front slot.

Honestly, I can't see it being able to turn at all (maybe in epic play) - putting a slot in the middle might reduce swing a bit but it'd still be hitting every squad/ship/obstacle in the play area.

2 minutes ago, Kendraam said:

But not as much as the rear if you use the front slot.

Honestly, I can't see it being able to turn at all (maybe in epic play) - putting a slot in the middle might reduce swing a bit but it'd still be hitting every squad/ship/obstacle in the play area.

Squadrons don't prevent movement. And this thing never care about asteroids

tumblr_mhl4l4a7851r93xiko1_500.gif

10 hours ago, Zamalekite said:

Screengrabs from FFG Livestream

• Admiral Piett
  • 6 firing arcs
  • Can shoot 3x per turn
  • 4 ship cards, 2 that can be used in 400 pt game
  • 6 Defence Tokens

Cards:

I'll update this post with news as it comes in

SSD2.JPG

SSD.JPG

SSD held 3.JPG

SSD + Cards.JPG

SSD + Cards zoom.JPG

From @Captain_Nemo

@Zamalekite

I might have jumped the gun with the nine front die

looks more like eight to me now ?

you might have to edit my quote

8 hours ago, Indy_com said:

But what did the Rebels get?

Serves them right. Both sides will now have the same number of ship releases. Makes up for the CR90 and NEB in the starter set. :P

But I'm sure Rebels will get something. Ships being equal isn't as important as the number of commanders being the same - which I suppose is why the Nebulon didn't contain one.

Other thoughts...

• It would be nice for a 300 point version for normal games and say a 500 point version for epic play. Epic play to be done on a 6x6 table using 2, 3 or 4 400 point fleets with the option of an SSD force using up two of these slots.
  • Deployment will probably be phrased that is has to deploy in your deployment zone with the rear touching your base line but the front part allowed to extend forwards into the play area.
  • The wording on Gunnery Teams indicates the SSD could do three attacks out of one arc (if you can convince 3 enemy ships to sit there while you do).
  • I think Damage Control officer is an auto include. HIE, APT and ACM crits are the best way to neutralise such a large ship.
  • I wonder if the scatter token is what the Emperor gives the ship? A bit like Captain Needa on steroids. With such a powerful force user as the Emperor on board this could explain it. Possibly adding the rule that you cant ever ready that token so twice per game max.
  • Another scatter explanation could be the Emperor being an officer rather than a commander and having an escape shuttle that is auto deployed when his ship is destroyed. It has a scatter token. If the shuttle is then killed the enemy get a 50 point bonus etc.  
  • Oh yes, and I still reckon this release is not the missing SKU number we had from a couple of years ago.

It looks very nice and will at least make for a good display model. I do think that $200 is too much though, relative to their other large miniatures, especially the Tantive IV model which was about half this? It does not look like it comes with many cards either. That's a good thing I suppose in terms of controlling card bloat and not limiting their availability under this pricing, but bad in terms of value for this package.

Seeing as I have very limited storage space, I won't ever be able to get one of these as there just won't be anywhere to keep it. Any ships that won't fit in my already nearly full ammo can will not make a fine addition to my collection.

8 hours ago, LTD said:

Can't fit in the deployment zone unless sideways - can't turn unless its butt goes off the table - going to hit every rock and debris field multiple times - this is going to be so much fun!

I'll just put four TRC90s in the same arc and rip it to shreds. Hilarious!

since when do rocks concern me? *breathe heavily*

6 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

7" ISD vs let's say 30" SSD. It's a bit over 4 times the size which is dang good for us I think

30" = 76 cm (roughly) which, for a 19 km SSD, is 1/25000 scale. Seems like a nice round number.

Just now, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

I’m here at Gencon with and exhibitor badge and let me tell you,  that thing is amazingly B E A U T I F U L !  ?

Come sit on my face Q1 2019!

Any more details or information on the cards?? Or is it only the model on display?