Glucose98

In Flight Report today

2 minutes ago, samuraislyr said:

Unfortunately they said nothing. I don't know, maybe there will be a small announcement during the week, but sad. They should have at least mentioned it, but they might be giving up on the line. 

Wait, didn't they say the report was going to be at 5 pm central? Is it already over? I thought it was just about to begin?

Also, I agree with Church14.

Just now, Parakitor said:

Wait, didn't they say the report was going to be at 5 pm central? Is it already over? I thought it was just about to begin?

Also, I agree with Church14.

Yup it's over. And I guess... maybe. Legion has had a ton of releases and they did even more, even hyped up releases for 2019. Same with X-wing. I just wish there was more hype from them, because all over the internet, gamestores etc. are basically declaring this game dead. I want to not believe them... 

There's no way they're giving up on the line just yet, not after announcing 5 expansions in one week. Maybe those will be the last units to be released. That's always a possibility. But we have nothing to indicate FFG'S plan for Runewars in 2019 or 2020. Plus, how many other games had no announcements?

8 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

There's no way they're giving up on the line just yet, not after announcing 5 expansions in one week. Maybe those will be the last units to be released. That's always a possibility. But we have nothing to indicate FFG'S plan for Runewars in 2019 or 2020. Plus, how many other games had no announcements?

Yea... you're right. We will see. 

I'm with Church in not being surprised and not being worried.  We've had a ton of catch-up articles released over the past two months for Runewars, and the releaese schedule for the next 6 months seems pretty reasonable.  We get 4 expansions tomorrow, 4 expansions end of September/October, and a couple of more that have been announced and are in development.  That's a lot to keep us moving along.

Although Runewars doesn't sell as well as the Star Wars games, FFG doesn't pay licensing fees for it either.  And it may be slightly more frustrating to find active players for Runewars, it probably isn't that much worse than what I've experienced over the years for Armada.  Tabletop miniatures in general are a niche market.  I'm going to go back to painting.   That's been a lot of fun!  :)

47 minutes ago, Vergilius said:

I'm with Church in not being surprised and not being worried.  We've had a ton of catch-up articles released over the past two months for Runewars, and the releaese schedule for the next 6 months seems pretty reasonable.  We get 4 expansions tomorrow, 4 expansions end of September/October, and a couple of more that have been announced and are in development. 

Well... four expansions that hopefully will show up in the October timeframe. Announcement-to-delivery times seem to be a bit skewed for this game.

My disappointment is that they didn't surprise us by having Heroes of Terrinoth ready for early purchase.

I would have been extremely surprised to hear runewars news at Gencon. The game has the current and next quarter already packed with releases, and we all know some of those releases will get pushed to the next quarter.

I'd expect more news on runewars in the next 3 months or so

5 hours ago, DelGriffen said:

GenCon is traditionally a big Star Wars announcement Con for FFG. I would expect Rune Wars to get more love at Dragon Con. 

Strangely, I dont see FFG on the "guest" list or the vendor. 

Do they normally attend Dragon Con?

I don't remember hearing about FFG having any presence at DragonCon, though to be fair I haven't been able to go myself for a few years, now. It's not a move I'd expect, though, as gaming doesn't have a large presence there.

I was holding out a little hope that they did the announcement blitz in July to clear the way for something really unexpected like a fifth faction, but I'm not surprised that didn't turn out to be the case, especially since they announced clone wars factions for Star Wars games and the KeyForge reveal got a lot of push. Now I see they pushed the Rune Wars up so it wouldn't get lost in the hype everything else got at GenCon, which I appreciate.

The minis were on display in the case and look outstanding, so I'm happy. I got to talk to Brooks a bit during the tournament, and even with the standard "I have to be a bit evasive" replies, I still came away feeling like they've got a reasonable read on where the meta is right now and they've got some tweaks to their sleeves. If we see those tweaks legal for Worlds, I'll feel like they're getting their responsiveness into gear with the limited tools they have available given the release schedule they had on their hands this year, and I was listening in on some conversations about community-centric ideas for side recognition (painting awards and the like) at worlds threat Tony and Brooks were brainstorming that makes me feel good about FFG's interest in building and engaging the small community we have while we try to grow it.

I'm hoping there's still some big announcements to come, soon, and I think that at this point, announcing something big at it right before Worlds like a new faction, new/expanded competitive play formats (like incorporating tournament results into an evolving Terrinoth storyline a la L5R), or new unit categories like flying units or huge models would be a solid time to deliver a hype injection to help rekindle interest in this game after the Legion stumble.

Edited by kaffis

I wasn't surprised that Runewars wasn't mentioned as part of the inflight report. I feel the game is more in a deliver on what's been promised mode over the next few months as compared to making dramatic new announcements. 

For what is lined up I think Runewars is pretty much covered through the end of the year. This sort of sets the stage for if / when there is something when would it be announced and then arrive? It could align up with AdeptiCon which of course is where Runewars was rolled out. 

From a product backlog we know there isn't a Legion-like activity that would be keeping them mega mega busy to deliver on. While the clone-wars stuff that'll be coming  will consume time and efforts it's not a whole new game. As such I kinda wonder if there isn't the opportunity for a new faction sometime next year, again pointing at the AdeptiCon timeframe. 

Idle speculation for sure, in the meantime, time to start painting Kethra!

Just now, Darkjawa said:

Hopefully this fall at World's we'll get some kind of big announcement. Fingers crossed.

Yeah, I'm hoping for a Worlds announcement. Generates a bunch of excited chatter in the streaming chat, gives the commentators some material to chew on during slow activations, and then the timing would actually be pretty good for an Adepticon launch or an Adepticon-legal launch!