spacesound

Are players in your gaming club staying with 1.0?

3 hours ago, Jike said:

I've seen lots of people claim they'll keep playing an older version of a game, but the reality literally never pans out that way. Nobody kept playing 8th edition WH in any numbers once AoS released - they either played AoS or stopped playing altogether due to lack of opponents. 

Yeah, this had been my experience.   

One exception is "9th Age" instead of switching to Age of Sigmar.  It's basically the most balanced version of WHFB ever made (but not by GW).

The local community here seems excited for 2.0. That isn't to say there have been some people who have drifted away, I know one person who sold all his 1.0 stuff (but wants to get into 2.0). There is a good friend of mine who wants to see how 2.0 pans out before he buys in. There are a few new players who I've not seen in a while, not sure if they plan to upgrade or not.

The 8 dedicated players at the store seem to be ****-bent on upgrading to 2.0, myself among them. Don't get me wrong, I am a little concerned as the last few months the attendance at the weekly meetup has dwindled. However, part of me wonders if it's because people are tired of X-Wing in general, or just 1.0 and will be back once 2.0 launch. I am hoping the latter as we had quite the busy community here.

Speaking for me, I am all in on 2.0. I was very very VERY close to just selling up and getting out of the game. I had lost my passion for it. I played very infrequently and would prefer streaming and watching games of X-Wing to playing since most tournaments would just boil down to "same **** different day." A friend of mine who came back from the UK nationals put it perfectly in my opinion: "Ghost Fenn vs Miranda Lowhhrick Fen, nail in the coffin of 1.0 right there."

The game had become bloated with jank and came down to mirror matches between similar lists or the same NPE style stuff. If it's not bombs and regen, then it's damage mitigation and PS wars. That's just not fun to me. This is something I felt back ever since the JumpMaster arrived on the scene. That was a dark time because it became not fun to play X-Wing or even stream/watch X-Wing. I was starting to lose my sanity with the amount of Triple Jumpmasters vs Triple/Double Jumpmasters I would see again, and again, and again, and again. I'm surprised I made it through that if honest.

I'm not expecting 2.0 to be the bastion of X-Wing, inevitably similar problems will emerge in 2.0, although FFG to me have shown they have put measures in place to prevent and curtail that, and from what I hear 2.0 is very much depowered and back to the days of Wave 1 and 2...while still having the variety that 14 waves of X-Wing brings.

Bring on 2.0!

In the last months I only play X Wing with my usual playmates. Being scenarios prepared by a referee there are no problems of abuse. the collection we have is very considerable, we like the system very much and since I have 15 epic ships, we have not seen enough elements in favor of the change, for the time being.

my group is the same, all in and super excited, but most are tourney players.

they say they have a lot of unlearning to do in the coming months.

as a late comer and casual player myself, I'm looking at forward to being on level ground with them for the first little while.

Coming from a wings of glory background, I do well flying ships, it has always been the upgrades which tripped me up.

2.0 sounds just what I was looking for  in x-wing, more flying ships and less of a LCG game. 

2 hours ago, robert t said:

Coming from a wings of glory background, I do well flying ships, it has always been the upgrades which tripped me up.

2.0 sounds just what I was looking for  in x-wing, more flying ships and less of a LCG game. 

As someone who has been playing it a little bit, it is what you are looking for.  Flying is important.  There are actually few upgrades at the moment, which isn't a bad thing.  It's more about knowing your ships and flying well. 

that is what I thought.

it is the main reason I upgraded everything I have. except FO and resistance.

I feel the system will be less about upgrades and more about ships and flying.

I am not going to collect much more as I find there is enough in the Imperial/Rebel/Scum factions for me.

I'm defintely not going to chase cards like 1.0 made you do.

1 hour ago, heychadwick said:

As someone who has been playing it a little bit, it is what you are looking for.  Flying is important.  There are actually few upgrades at the moment, which isn't a bad thing.  It's more about knowing your ships and flying well. 

Well there are a LOT of upgrades

But the game is so far better designed that throwing eight on the same ship is no longer the optimal way to play all the **** time (works okay on punishers ?)

And even if you overload a ship, it's basically DEAD in two rounds to basic ships without upgrades 

Good flying all the way!

...maybe the occasional green dice bull

So far, my average upgrade count outside Deathrain is two per ship 

Edited by ficklegreendice

I stopped playing 1.0 before 2.0 was even announced. Fat turrets were nonsense, regen was nonsense, harpoons were nonsense, wookies were nonsense. It was a bad game. I don't understand the attachment that people have to it. I play this game to dogfight with Star Wars ships, so it was a waste of my time to play 1.0 in its twilight days. I didn't even finish a few of my last 1.0 tournies because the game was no longer fun to play; it felt like I was sitting down for work on my day off because it was just so awful to play. I think the only people who oppose 2.0 are the people who have massive collections or those people who are bad at basic tactics and can no longer lol TLT or lol Wookies their way to victory anymore.

On 7/31/2018 at 8:48 PM, Darth Meanie said:

I probably fit in that small batch.

I only play with guys in the basement.  There is a sweet spot for "conversion value" that I think most tourney players hit.  My bro and I have way too much, the new guys have way too little.

Everyone seems to think that 2.0 is going to liquid gold, ignoring the fact that it is being minted by the same dev group they flamed 6 mos ago as being, shall we say, challenged in the game design arena.

And, in any event, 1.0 is not broken for me.  We play for fun; JM5K, TLT, and Bomblets were never abused.  My brother loves B-Wings, and I still dread them.  So, given that there are going to be no new ships for a couple of years, I see no point in spending money to play stuff I already own.

Lastly, I just started a campaign with my brother, designed for balance around 1.0.  It will probably take us a year to play thru at once-per-month gaming.  All the 1.0 ships will probably still not have been converted by then.  So, as @LordFajubi has pointed out elsewhere, I'll let you chumps beta playtest 2.0 (:P), work out the kinks, then see if it's worth $.

I can only see 3 caveats leading to Instant Conversion:

A.  A bonafide, official campaign set featuring PvP (not HotAC style)

B.  The introduction of Prequel ships and factions that completely break new ground, ship-wise.

C.  A sale on 2.0 stuff so good that I would be a fool to pass it up. 

If I ever "play in public" (GenCon, most likely), I could always be one of those netlisters who looks up the cat's meow and then just buys enough decent 2.0 to let me participate in an event.

Yep just me and a couple of friends play 1.0 ... as its me that provides most of the stuff for us all, we won't be moving to 2.0 anytime in the near future

On 8/27/2018 at 7:42 AM, heychadwick said:

I don't see the equivalent to Age of %&*#-Mar.  That change utterly changed the game.  2.0 keeps things basically the same concept, but rebalance it all.  Besides the price, what is bad about 2.0?

2.0 is a completely different game.

From the APP requirement to vastly more complex base rules, it just feels, looks, and plays different. 1.0 was a casual game, 2.0 is not.  In many ways its the reverse of the WHFB -> AOS transition

6 hours ago, ThinkingB said:

I stopped playing 1.0 before 2.0 was even announced. Fat turrets were nonsense, regen was nonsense, harpoons were nonsense, wookies were nonsense. It was a bad game. I don't understand the attachment that people have to it. I play this game to dogfight with Star Wars ships, so it was a waste of my time to play 1.0 in its twilight days. I didn't even finish a few of my last 1.0 tournies because the game was no longer fun to play; it felt like I was sitting down for work on my day off because it was just so awful to play. I think the only people who oppose 2.0 are the people who have massive collections or those people who are bad at basic tactics and can no longer lol TLT or lol Wookies their way to victory anymore.

Or who dont like the APP.  That is the #1 issue 

6 minutes ago, Vontoothskie said:

From the APP requirement to vastly more complex base rules, it just feels, looks, and plays different. 1.0 was a casual game, 2.0 is not.  In many ways its the reverse of the WHFB -> AOS transition

I say that's complete hogwash.  I feel like my games of 2.0 are closer to how 1.0 was for the first few waves than the game at the end of 1.0.  It's a lot simpler to me and streamlined.  It's getting back to what the game used to be.  2.0 has been so much easier and  better than 1.0 was at the end.  There aren't 101 different cards and titles and required, but free upgrades.  It is a lot less complicated.

Lastly, you don't have to have the bloody app.  They have the PDF print outs or the web page for all those Luddites that refuse to adapt.  You don't have to have an app!  

2 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

I say that's complete hogwash.  I feel like my games of 2.0 are closer to how 1.0 was for the first few waves than the game at the end of 1.0.  It's a lot simpler to me and streamlined.  It's getting back to what the game used to be.  2.0 has been so much easier and  better than 1.0 was at the end.  There aren't 101 different cards and titles and required, but free upgrades.  It is a lot less complicated.

Lastly, you don't have to have the bloody app.  They have the PDF print outs or the web page for all those Luddites that refuse to adapt.  You don't have to have an app!  

You obviously havent tried playing without the app lol

Glad the game is working for you, but maybe consider that others have valid reasons for their thoughts as well. Only a sith deals in absolutes

14 minutes ago, Vontoothskie said:

Or who dont like the APP.  That is the #1 issue 

Did you not use an app before to list build? Sorry, but I really don't understand where people are coming from with this complaint. Perhaps you can elaborate more on why its an issue?

On 7/31/2018 at 1:02 PM, FlyingAnchors said:

Same. Armada being balanced has taken all of the 1E casual fun out of the game locally.  

Which really sucks because I wanted to practice for Nova but no dice. (Can only play with TTS and benchmark for so long).

Jump on Vassal!

Runewars has objectives, but some of the alt arts have no point value for when you score an objective. So I sleeved them and wrote the point value on the sleeve with wet erase marker.

I think people who don't want to use the app should print the point costs from the website, then write the costs on the cards and boom - no app, no cost table. You're ready to squad build the way you want.

Understand that far and away most people are excited for the app, so if you want to avoid it, you'll have to put in some extra work.

7 hours ago, heychadwick said:

I feel like my games of 2.0 are closer to how 1.0 was for the first few waves than the game at the end of 1.0.  It's a lot simpler to me and streamlined.  It's getting back to what the game used to be.  2.0 has been so much easier and  better than 1.0 was at the end.  There aren't 101 different cards and titles and required, but free upgrades.  It is a lot less complicated.

For me, that's a little bit of the bummer.  I don't want a game that has no titles and variants for each ship.  I liked that.  Same chassis; 3 options.

Granted, stapling adaptive ailerons and the x1 are nice.  But I want Defender and Scyk options back.

Going back to the start of the game, with fewer upgrades and less pilots thins the game out too much for me, even if there are more ships to choose from overall.  I would like listbuilding to be more than "choose 3 ships, assign one pilot talent, fly."

7 hours ago, ThinkingB said:

Did you not use an app before to list build? Sorry, but I really don't understand where people are coming from with this complaint. Perhaps you can elaborate more on why its an issue?

I don't know about anyone else, but I almost ALWAYS made up my lists by referring to the ship and upgrade cards, NOT by using any on-line list builder.  Still less any apps, since I don't use smartphones and am not going to do so just to run the 2.0 app.

33 minutes ago, Firebird TMK said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I almost ALWAYS made up my lists by referring to the ship and upgrade cards, NOT by using any on-line list builder.  Still less any apps, since I don't use smartphones and am not going to do so just to run the 2.0 app.

You don't need smartphone to use that app. But yes, you can't build squads without memorizing point costs, which isn't that hard after couple games, but you have the PDF's to help you with. In the long run I just feel that it is only good for the game because the app gives them data about ship/pilot/upgrade usage to help them balance the game for better playing experience and less NPE

Last time we played we had only 2 guys come and play x-wing (including me). 1.0 is basically dead here. Most of us are waiting for 2.0 and have been playing other games such as Armada that has been dusting on the shelf.

9 hours ago, Parakitor said:

Runewars has objectives, but some of the alt arts have no point value for when you score an objective. So I sleeved them and wrote the point value on the sleeve with wet erase marker.

I think people who don't want to use the app should print the point costs from the website, then write the costs on the cards and boom - no app, no cost table. You're ready to squad build the way you want.

Understand that far and away most people are excited for the app, so if you want to avoid it, you'll have to put in some extra work.

I think this is a brilliant fix for people.  Sleeve the cards and either use a marker or print out a little sticker for points values.  Or...buy a little sticker and write the pts on that sticker. 

This would fix the need to have any electronics beyond initial PDF download.  Just put a new sticker on if it changes.

13 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

There's absolutely no comparison between the 1st to 2nd edition X-Wing change and the WH-AoS change. X-Wing remains pretty much the same game mechanically, with tweaks and changes here and there. AoS was a completely new game from the ground up. The X-Wing change is more like the switch from 7th-8th edition WH. Some big changes, but fundamentally the same game.

I still remain confused about how the App requirement makes it a completely different game. I remain confused about the resistance to the App/web-based squad builder in general though.