spacesound

Are players in your gaming club staying with 1.0?

15 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Scum Falcon release clearly shows that 2.0 rereleaees won't affect the flow of new content 

Uh, so that's like the 2nd new ship for 2018.

More typical was 2 waves + a fix box, no?

Maybe it gets better in 2019 with launch out of the way, but I kinda think not.

Edited by Darth Meanie

13 hours ago, ForceSensitive said:

Ha no. Most stopped playing after the 2.0 announcement in Columbus OH at the stores around town. Not the salty little cry baby "wah why do I have to spend money on the game I spend money on!? Wah!" Type either. I have played for a year by that point about and have been quite happy to while away my time over in Armada land. They were so fed up with the BS that 1.0 was they were just fine to take a break and come back for second Edition when it released. I'll be seeing them soon I guess.

Where do you play Armada?  I can't find any groups in Dayton.

11 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

2) 1.0 and board games in general are inferior to computer games in complexity, visuals, audio, modularity, scope.... just about everything.  

The thing video games lack completely is tactile presence in the real world, and the way you spend time with people away from technology when you play board games.  That is why so many of us go to such lengths for these table top games. putting the screen back into that equation kills it for a lot of people, and it looks like not using the app will be insanely frustrating

in 1.0 you hang out with your friends and everything is very tactile and present... get away from the computers you work with and play with for a bit, and use old fashioned paper and plastic gaming components. it's great.  I can play on Shabbat with my Jewish friends if we want. not in 2.0 though, because app

11 hours ago, Firebird TMK said:

Well stated.  Point 5 is exactly why I got into X-Wing in the first place.  And furthermore, I don't have a smartphone and have no intention of getting one any time soon.  So I will have to either print out every 2.0 card myself, or rely on someone else's smartphone, which is annoying to say the least.  I really don't think hybrid tabletop/computer games are the answer.

The app is used to build your list.  You still play using the physical cards that come with the physical ships.  There's no reason you need to access the app during gameplay if you don't want to.

23 hours ago, Jeff Wilder said:

I haven't heard anybody in the SF Bay Area say they're sticking with 1.0.  (I have heard a few people say they're giving up X-Wing, but I've also heard many more newbies say they're coming on board because of 2.0.)

To add to what Jeff has said, I have spoken to a couple of friends here in the Bay Area that have left the game. They've told me that they're looking forward, with the release of X-Wing 2.0, to getting back into the game.

4 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

The app is used to build your list.  You still play using the physical cards that come with the physical ships.  There's no reason you need to access the app during gameplay if you don't want to.

There's no reason you need access to the app during gameplay period. I can't imagine why you would.

And you don't need the app for list building either. I'm doing just fine with the PDFs and that's even without having the cards in front of me. It isn't going to be a problem at all.

My local play group burned out on 1.0 a bit ago, to the point that I’m the only person that still mains it. They all moved to Armada, then Legion when it dropped. And I had several of them text me within the hour when 2.0 points dropped... definitely most of them will convert, and some guys from the other games sound like they’ll pick it up for the first time. 

My group in Florida plays casual, we love the game and have no intention of upgrading to 2.0. We’re going to finish up getting the ships we don’t have and continue play as normal. However we are all also very excited about the new Battlestar Galactica miniatures game Ares is putting out. 

3 hours ago, JJ48 said:

Where do you play Armada?  I can't find any groups in Dayton.

There's a massive group that plays Monday nights at the Guardtower West. Roughly over a dozen regular players, getting about 4 or 5 games going simultaneous on game night, and some pickups through the week. Always room for more. We have a store championship coming up on the 18th of August here. PM me and I'll link you to the Facebook group. In the future we may also run events at the Guardtower East location that is opening now.

1 hour ago, ForceSensitive said:

There's a massive group that plays Monday nights at the Guardtower West. Roughly over a dozen regular players, getting about 4 or 5 games going simultaneous on game night, and some pickups through the week. Always room for more. We have a store championship coming up on the 18th of August here. PM me and I'll link you to the Facebook group. In the future we may also run events at the Guardtower East location that is opening now.

Unfortunately Mondays are no good for me most weeks.  Though if casual play is available and someone who's learning the game is welcome, I may be able to make it every once in a while.  I'm not really interested in more organized play, though.

3 hours ago, ForceSensitive said:

Whoa where is this mythical east location? I hate driving 45 minutes to the west side?

2 hours ago, JJ48 said:

Unfortunately Mondays are no good for me most weeks.  Though if casual play is available and someone who's learning the game is welcome, I may be able to make it every once in a while.  I'm not really interested in more organized play, though.

Well, we haven't organized a night yet for the new store location, Friday I'm sure will be totally taken by magic per usual, Tuesday another friendly store runs games called ravenstone but they will be packed with XW2.0 soon. I'd you're interested the overarching Facebook group is called "Star Wars: Armada Ohio" always a good place to drop a line when your looking for a game. There's a few other daytoners on there from what I remember.

Good discussion and thanks to those that responded to my original post. Hearing what other groups are experiencing does shed some light on the matter, and some have posted possible reasons as to why some groups may or may not commit to 2.0. All helpful comments. Thanks.

Now for an update on my gaming group and its future with 2.0. It seems like 2.0 killed this game in my gaming club. I think the main reasons were outlined by Vontoothskie - #3, #5, and #6

On 8/1/2018 at 9:10 AM, Vontoothskie said:

3)  paying a bunch of money to continue using what you already own is lame. people dont like it in other games, they dont like it here.

5) a lot of people got into X-wing because warhammer and other games were struggling, expensive, and constantly releasing new editions you had to buy into.   X-wing was the simpler, cheaper, more stable game.  that isn't true anymore.  for example I built a 1500 point nurgle army for $250 dollars, less than me converting to x-wing 2.0.

6) and I think this is the biggest one, FFG want us to pay to fix their really stupid design decisions without any guarantee they wont do the exact same things again.

Regardless of whatever it is, X-Wing is almost dead now in my gaming club. Sure, I think 1.0 will make it to the table from time to time, but so far nobody in my club has any serious commitment to 2.0.

No worries because there are plenty of other games out there to entertain. Just at the last club meeting I got introduced to another good space ship game. One of our long time members hosted a Full Thrust (2nd edition, not 3rd) game with the More Thrust expansion. This game is from the 90's, but I liked it better than X-Wing! Even better, the Full Thrust 2nd edition rules and the More Thrust expansion are available for free from the publisher!!! Now that is how you reward loyal Full Thrust fans!

1.0 was dead in my local community, it is literaly me and another guy at this point. We play one or two times a month, bringing things we didn't play in 1.0. Both of us will convert instantly and one player that hasn't been around in a while will join us, two others are very eager to try 2.0 out and very likely to join in. There is a lot of excitement here!

In our gaming club, there are several new players. They decided to start X-Wing and bought in with about 300EUR each and guess what... two days after that 2.0 has been announced. These guys, long time wargaming (mostly historical) veterans, said **** off with it and won't convert.

Another guy, quite emotional, really liked to fly Imperial Aces (not those supported by the Emperor) in the past. He got so bitter with the everpresent turrets and powercreep (real or otherwise) that he essentially hates the game now. Even though the 2.0 solves most of his problems with the game, he refuses to give it another dime.

One girl in our gaming club likes Star Wars so much. She started X-Wing shortly after us (so, some two years ago) but she is too busy to play regularily. She hardly got all the synergies with her ships. She plays about one evening in two or three months. I don't see her convert to new system.

Two guys in our club play X-Wing as a side-game. They don't really like the Star Wars theme but play the game with us. Their probability of converting to 2.0 is about 50:50.

So, in our club it's me, my wife and one highly competetive player who are going to convert. Hopefully we will convert some of the non-converting people to our converting side. And then we will convert together. ;-)

So, no burning of 1.0 stuff for me.

On 7/31/2018 at 10:00 PM, Firebird TMK said:

Being HEAVILY invested in 1.0, I'm looking forward to 2.0 about as much as I looked forward to Age of Sigmarines replacing WHFB. 

I don't see the equivalent to Age of %&*#-Mar.  That change utterly changed the game.  2.0 keeps things basically the same concept, but rebalance it all.  Besides the price, what is bad about 2.0?

On 8/1/2018 at 3:10 AM, Vontoothskie said:

Nope, it seems pretty normal.  most of play group quit the game entirely when 2.0 was announced, but a few other people I know who play wont be converting.

you gotta figure on a few major points here:

1) x-wing started out as a strategic but fairly straight forward game that you could teach a friend while you played it.  every stat you need to learn  is on the ships base or the dial.  now that all that information is removed, the game is less casual. you need to have all that information in your head while you look at the board, so anyone who doesn't memorize stats will be constantly checking. super lame. even as a pretty skilled player that information being on the board is a must for me. 

2) 1.0 and board games in general are inferior to computer games in complexity, visuals, audio, modularity, scope.... just about everything.  

The thing video games lack completely is tactile presence in the real world, and the way you spend time with people away from technology when you play board games.  That is why so many of us go to such lengths for these table top games. putting the screen back into that equation kills it for a lot of people, and it looks like not using the app will be insanely frustrating

in 1.0 you hang out with your friends and everything is very tactile and present... get away from the computers you work with and play with for a bit, and use old fashioned paper and plastic gaming components. it's great.  I can play on Shabbat with my Jewish friends if we want. not in 2.0 though, because app

3)  paying a bunch of money to continue using what you already own is lame. people dont like it in other games, they dont like it here.

as a swarm player I would need to spend $350 retail to convert my existing collection, not counting my epic collection. its some games workshop level ****

4) everyone I know plays epic, homebrew, hotac, or custom point totals, like 150 s.p.  the new game has no announced epic, and everything else is custom anyway. why spend money and time on a system that doesn't give you what you want?

5) a lot of people got into X-wing because warhammer and other games were struggling, expensive, and constantly releasing new editions you had to buy into.   X-wing was the simpler, cheaper, more stable game.  that isn't true anymore.  for example I built a 1500 point nurgle army for $250 dollars, less than me converting to x-wing 2.0.

6) and I think this is the biggest one, FFG want us to pay to fix their really stupid design decisions without any guarantee they wont do the exact same things again.

Some of my thoughts:

1) stats are still on cards.   Don't really have to know everything to play. 

2) You can just print out the PDF and not use a screen.  Most people just use an app for list building in 1.0, anyways.

3) Epic ships had fixed.  This just fixes a broken game.  I'll be happy to invest my meager resources to continue the game (as I was about to quit).

4) there has been an announcement for Epic.  They say it's coming.  I think they are going to give it it's due before they release it.  That's good.  Also, there is talk of different formats officially from FFG.  Some think FFG is going to come out with their own version of HotAC.  Also, HotAC conversion to 2.0.

5) I would say it's hardly GW prices for things.  It is only 50 cents a ship for conversion kits. 

6) the guarantee is the app that you hate so much.  They can adjust the points and options for each ship.

9 minutes ago, drail14me said:

Most of the players at my store were staying 1.0. I went to GenCon and picked up an early release copy of 2.0 and have been running demo games at my store. I don’t know anyone that’s staying 1.0 now. 

Nice! I plan to do the same thing when 2.0 comes out for the local undecided.

2 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

yeah, it takes about a grand total of 1 game to never ever want to go back

While I can't speak to my direct experience with X-Wing 2nd edition as I haven't played it yet, I will say the above holds true for most games, even if it's for different reasons. I've seen lots of people claim they'll keep playing an older version of a game, but the reality literally never pans out that way. Nobody kept playing 8th edition WH in any numbers once AoS released - they either played AoS or stopped playing altogether due to lack of opponents. Same with older versions of 40k, Flames of War, Warmachine etc. Outside of insular, isolated groups that don't really have much contact with other gamers it's just really difficult to keep an old game going.

Given that pretty much everyone who's played 2nd edition so far has echoed the comments from @ficklegreendice I think there's even less reason to suspect people will still play 1st edition for any length of time.

As mentioned before, the few 1.0 ships I currently have I got for almost no cost, so I'm probably the least impacted by getting into 2.0. Right now only a couple of players in my club have picked up some 2.0 stuff, but nothing extensive. There are a lot of big collections of 1.0 X-Wing in my club, and I think the cost to covert to 2.0 is holding back most club members or stopping them from doing it.

For now, I see no reason to buy into 2.0. Especially since getting the upgrade kits will be an overkill for my small collection. I planned to swap my extras with others in my club. Can't swap/trade with others that don't have or won't get 2.0.

Currently, the Full Thrust (2nd.Ed.) game that I was just introduced to at our last club meetup is now my current interest. Mostly because the member that hosted it will be starting a complete Full Thrust campaign using the Full Thrust campaign system. Something you can't do with X-Wing 1.0 or X-Wing 2.0!

Since FFG is only interested in tournament play, I doubt there will ever be a good campaign system for X-Wing.