spacesound

Are players in your gaming club staying with 1.0?

Our group is just about to abandon 1.0 with the points now out. There's 1 more store champ on 8/11 but from 8/12 it's 2.0 all the way. We are seeing new players join and a bunch of old vets who left the game come back in excitement at all the changes. Flying matters and I couldn't be happier.

I'm pretty much in @Darth Meanie's boat at this point. I'm mainly interested in HoTAC and Epic so converting doesn't make sense for me; the friends I play with aren't interested in transitioning and 2.0 isn't really offering anything new to tempt me. In the future, who can say though? I'm going to follow developments just in case something new comes along and stirs my interest.

I can't really comment with any authority on the wider local scene, but I don't know of any former players who are actively planning to convert. Those I have spoken to seem to have moved on to other games, although that may change once 2.0 lands.

The vast majority are making the move to 2.0, some are coming back for it. 

My son and I are taking the opportunity to bow out of the competitive scene. I preordered a core set to get a 2nd damage deck as it'll never be cheaper to get 2 of those and am debating preordering another one just in case my 2 other sons eventually decide to play. 

We'll be fully casual, 99% at home now though! 

1 hour ago, svelok said:

Re-release of ships for 2.0 isn't supposed to delay the normal cycle of new releases.

I'll be curious to see what that means, exactly.

We'll see Lando Falcon in September.  Technically, if I stay 1.0 I'm really not missing a thing--I can use the model on a Lando stand and call it S&V or not.

Other than that, will we see a brand new ship for 2018??  In truth, all we have gotten is the TIE Reaper.  The U-Wing, X-Wing, and YT-1300 got reskinned, but not really a new chassis.

I suspect anything new is really going to be for fleshing out Resistance and First Order.  Which might mean, functionally, not much new is coming to the game because those factions are going to need new versions of what they lost.  Sort of how the Lambda gets a rear arc but Empire loses the Firespray, so mechanically it is a wash.  And since I'm still going to be playing 1.0, I don't need that functionality replaced--I can still fly my Strikers with my Interceptors.

Since I don't plan to convert to 2.0 immediately, my outlay for this game in 2018 is likely to be about 1/10th what I spent in past years.  Too bad for FFG, I guess.

Unfortunately, almost all of the group I play with has bought into 2.0, target lock, stock and barrel roll.  Which means if I want to keep on with 1.0, about all I can do is teach it to my nieces and nephews.

Being HEAVILY invested in 1.0, I'm looking forward to 2.0 about as much as I looked forward to Age of Sigmarines replacing WHFB.  The only thing in 2.0 that appeals to me at all is 2.0 getting rid of the abomination that is Harpoon Missiles.  Other than that, since I played heavily with Y-Wing and K-Wing turret builds, I will be an extremely reluctant 2.0 adopter, if I do so at all.

Edited by Firebird TMK

Before 2.0 was announced, several of my gaming group went over to Legion.  When 2.0 was announced, my gaming group stopped playing x-wing 1.0 altogether.  1.0 tournaments have pretty much dried up in New Zealand.  Many of the folks in my group are undecided about 2.0 and money is going to be a bit of an issue for some.  I have pre-ordered a core and will pick up conversion kits. However, I might also be reluctant to get into the tournament scene again.  I am looking forward to other formats like Escalation and the casual store kits look like a really good idea.  I am also working on a new game mode for 2.0, so will try to promote that with my gaming group.  This format won't require anyone to purchase 2.0 stuff but will hopefully get people interested in 2.0 as we will be using 2.0 rules.

10 hours ago, Magnus042 said:

Most of my local players wont even show up to play casual 1.0 anymore. The overwhelming consensus has been: "See you when 2.0 releases!"

Yep thats why we only play armada now. :D but also :(

4 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

I suspect anything new is really going to be for fleshing out Resistance and First Order.  Which might mean, functionally, not much new is coming to the game because those factions are going to need new versions of what they lost.  Sort of how the Lambda gets a rear arc but Empire loses the Firespray, so mechanically it is a wash.

This right here folks, don’t hold your breath for new ships. FO and Resistance need several just to catch up. Lando was right with the reaper and saws. A 3 faction wave pushed to 2.0 imagine that. Nor do I think wave 2 will hold anything new as thats the wave the 2 step-children convert. I’ll be honestly surprised to see anything new before end of year and certainly not in any way will it be for reb, imp or scum. You don’t fill a hole by digging deeper, nor do factions catch up while releasing new material.

Ha no. Most stopped playing after the 2.0 announcement in Columbus OH at the stores around town. Not the salty little cry baby "wah why do I have to spend money on the game I spend money on!? Wah!" Type either. I have played for a year by that point about and have been quite happy to while away my time over in Armada land. They were so fed up with the BS that 1.0 was they were just fine to take a break and come back for second Edition when it released. I'll be seeing them soon I guess.

Not a chance. The only reason we've played 1.0 at all these past couple months is the team tournament we had recently here in Oz and the end of our final league. Now they're both out of the way my whole group is either proxying 2.0 or taking the chance to focus on our other games that normally get neglected for X-wing.

Edited by DR4CO

1 hour ago, DR4CO said:

Not a chance. The only reason we've played 1.0 at all these past couple months is the team tournament and the end of our final league. Now they're both out of the way my whole group is either proxying 2.0 or taking the chance to focus on our other games that normally get neglected for X-wing.

This too. I finally have excuse to play Armada when Xwing used to take that time. Armada was kind of dusting on the shelf

13 hours ago, spacesound said:

We have a lot of X-Wing players in my gaming club, and a lot of them will not be advancing to 2.0. Instead, they plan on staying with 1.0. In a way, I don't blame them because they have huge collections.

I'm still new to the game, so I was looking forward to 2.0 since I only have a small collection of models which I got for a lot less than they are worth. For example, I picked up a 1.0 core set in almost new condition for only $6, which is $2 per ship model and everything else is free! What I'm saying is that I'm not heavily invested in the game unlike a lot of other members in my gaming club, so if my gaming club stays with 1.0, I will end up saving a lot of money.

Are other gaming clubs experiencing this phenomenon?

Nope, it seems pretty normal.  most of play group quit the game entirely when 2.0 was announced, but a few other people I know who play wont be converting.

you gotta figure on a few major points here:

1) x-wing started out as a strategic but fairly straight forward game that you could teach a friend while you played it.  every stat you need to learn  is on the ships base or the dial.  now that all that information is removed, the game is less casual. you need to have all that information in your head while you look at the board, so anyone who doesn't memorize stats will be constantly checking. super lame. even as a pretty skilled player that information being on the board is a must for me. 

2) 1.0 and board games in general are inferior to computer games in complexity, visuals, audio, modularity, scope.... just about everything.  

The thing video games lack completely is tactile presence in the real world, and the way you spend time with people away from technology when you play board games.  That is why so many of us go to such lengths for these table top games. putting the screen back into that equation kills it for a lot of people, and it looks like not using the app will be insanely frustrating

in 1.0 you hang out with your friends and everything is very tactile and present... get away from the computers you work with and play with for a bit, and use old fashioned paper and plastic gaming components. it's great.  I can play on Shabbat with my Jewish friends if we want. not in 2.0 though, because app

3)  paying a bunch of money to continue using what you already own is lame. people dont like it in other games, they dont like it here.

as a swarm player I would need to spend $350 retail to convert my existing collection, not counting my epic collection. its some games workshop level ****

4) everyone I know plays epic, homebrew, hotac, or custom point totals, like 150 s.p.  the new game has no announced epic, and everything else is custom anyway. why spend money and time on a system that doesn't give you what you want?

5) a lot of people got into X-wing because warhammer and other games were struggling, expensive, and constantly releasing new editions you had to buy into.   X-wing was the simpler, cheaper, more stable game.  that isn't true anymore.  for example I built a 1500 point nurgle army for $250 dollars, less than me converting to x-wing 2.0.

6) and I think this is the biggest one, FFG want us to pay to fix their really stupid design decisions without any guarantee they wont do the exact same things again.

18 minutes ago, Vontoothskie said:

Nope, it seems pretty normal.  most of play group quit the game entirely when 2.0 was announced, but a few other people I know who play wont be converting.

you gotta figure on a few major points here:

1) x-wing started out as a strategic but fairly straight forward game that you could teach a friend while you played it.  every stat you need to learn  is on the ships base or the dial.  now that all that information is removed, the game is less casual. you need to have all that information in your head while you look at the board, so anyone who doesn't memorize stats will be constantly checking. super lame. even as a pretty skilled player that information being on the board is a must for me. 

2) 1.0 and board games in general are inferior to computer games in complexity, visuals, audio, modularity, scope.... just about everything.  

The thing video games lack completely is tactile presence in the real world, and the way you spend time with people away from technology when you play board games.  That is why so many of us go to such lengths for these table top games. putting the screen back into that equation kills it for a lot of people, and it looks like not using the app will be insanely frustrating

in 1.0 you hang out with your friends and everything is very tactile and present... get away from the computers you work with and play with for a bit, and use old fashioned paper and plastic gaming components. it's great.  I can play on Shabbat with my Jewish friends if we want. not in 2.0 though, because app

3)  paying a bunch of money to continue using what you already own is lame. people dont like it in other games, they dont like it here.

as a swarm player I would need to spend $350 retail to convert my existing collection, not counting my epic collection. its some games workshop level ****

4) everyone I know plays epic, homebrew, hotac, or custom point totals, like 150 s.p.  the new game has no announced epic, and everything else is custom anyway. why spend money and time on a system that doesn't give you what you want?

5) a lot of people got into X-wing because warhammer and other games were struggling, expensive, and constantly releasing new editions you had to buy into.   X-wing was the simpler, cheaper, more stable game.  that isn't true anymore.  for example I built a 1500 point nurgle army for $250 dollars, less than me converting to x-wing 2.0.

6) and I think this is the biggest one, FFG want us to pay to fix their really stupid design decisions without any guarantee they wont do the exact same things again.

Well stated.  Point 5 is exactly why I got into X-Wing in the first place.  And furthermore, I don't have a smartphone and have no intention of getting one any time soon.  So I will have to either print out every 2.0 card myself, or rely on someone else's smartphone, which is annoying to say the least.  I really don't think hybrid tabletop/computer games are the answer.

14 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Lol no.

1.0 is a mess of balance issues and infuriating game mechanics curtosy of certain pilot/upgrade combos

2nd Ed all the way, though I know I'm certainly going to be buying back in slowly. No reason to break your neck diving in when there's so much to explore with just one core + conversion kit

There is nothing in 1.0 that wouldn't be fixed with patches as examples in the past shown. Also, telling it is unbalanced mess is just wrong - it is still great game. If not for the fact that 2.0 is coming it would still be played and enjoyed by many.
I don't think 2.0 will be your holy grail - I bet after 1 or 2 waves FFG will "jump the shark" with upgrade or new mechanic that will completely dominate the 2.0 meta. And then you will realize that you bought and payed again for the same ships but you didn't get better game.

2 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

Long wall of text for no reason.

1. The game still has everything on the board but point and upgrades, so if you already made your list, you have your info in front of you. If you wanna complain about FAQ, there was an FAQ since wave 1.... Stupid expert handling...

2. As already released, if you have access to the internet (you do cause you post here!) you can print out or write down the PDF file, no app needed! So go enjoy some tactile response board gaming away from computers, and if you are adventurous, OUTSIDE!

3. As a swarm player, I will be spending exactly 200 dollars. Between the conversion kit and starter I have enough for 6 ties and let's be honest here, I can borrow or spend the 20 ( probably can get it for 15 bucks) to make it 7. And I don't think 8 will be the way to go, ever, not with the named TIEs we get.

4. First valid point and completely acceptable reasoning.

5. You just paid 250 dollars on a single army, with limited ability to change the scope of the army. 200 dollars let's you play almost everything you already own across 3 factions and a plethora of variants within. Spending more on the conversion kits before new waves comes out is a fouls errand and only if you are die hard cast into one faction.

6. We don't know the future, and if we only look to the past and blame it, you are going to have a bad time. Both in gaming and in life. If they screw it up again, I doubt they will be able to switch to 3.0 without losing a large populace of their game.

Now let's look at how long it took for them to switch to 2.0 to any other game system that has done a version rerelease. Most span 2-3 years max before hand, X-Wing has gone on for over 5 without a major overhaul.

My local community will certainly convert. All the competitive players are on board with 2.0 (all 3 of us :(), the new edition has rekindled interest for a handful of guys that got burned out with 1.0 and on the opposite side, the only ones that opposed the change and argued in favor of 1.0 weren't really a part of the community anyway (they either haven't played in ages or are only playing at home with friends). 

53 minutes ago, Embir82 said:

There is nothing in 1.0 that wouldn't be fixed with patches as examples in the past shown. Also, telling it is unbalanced mess is just wrong - it is still great game. If not for the fact that 2.0 is coming it would still be played and enjoyed by many.
I don't think 2.0 will be your holy grail - I bet after 1 or 2 waves FFG will "jump the shark" with upgrade or new mechanic that will completely dominate the 2.0 meta. And then you will realize that you bought and payed again for the same ships but you didn't get better game.

Since the core mechanics aren't changing, you should be happy with 2nd ed's massive game-wide patch instead of the two ship patch boxes for $30+ that you sometimes gotta buy multiples of...

our group is converting. most of them are very competitive and play tournaments.

Since the winter, we have been playing HOTAC though as there is little interest in flying 1.0.

Sept will be interesting as all have preordered the core and at least 1 conversion kit.

In my local group everyone is pumped for 2.0  Talked to a few who are converting only a single faction but most I have talked to are planning to convert fully.  Most of the people I play with are pretty heavy into tournaments and are planning to remain so for 2.0.  With the points being released we are seeing some players playing 2.0 lists now but we still have 5 store championships in our region so 1.0 is still getting played.  I have 2 more store championships I plan to go to unless I win the next one ?.

Overall Much excitement for 2.0.

7 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Since the core mechanics aren't changing, you should be happy with 2nd ed's massive game-wide patch instead of the two ship patch boxes for $30+ that you sometimes gotta buy multiples of...

Well, it's a bit more than a "patch" since other than dice and ships, nothing is forward compatible.

Like when people tear down a house save one wall so that it's a "remodel" instead of "new construction."

Personally, I had no problem with the "patch boxes" full of repaints.  But the process was going to be sloooooowwwwww.

OTOH, I feel like 2.0, other than a big explosion at the beginning, is going to cause the game to lose momentum.  Everything needs 2.0 boxes, 2 new factions need fleshed out, and Epic needs a redo.  That's a long time until The Next Big Thing.