spacesound

Are players in your gaming club staying with 1.0?

We have a lot of X-Wing players in my gaming club, and a lot of them will not be advancing to 2.0. Instead, they plan on staying with 1.0. In a way, I don't blame them because they have huge collections.

I'm still new to the game, so I was looking forward to 2.0 since I only have a small collection of models which I got for a lot less than they are worth. For example, I picked up a 1.0 core set in almost new condition for only $6, which is $2 per ship model and everything else is free! What I'm saying is that I'm not heavily invested in the game unlike a lot of other members in my gaming club, so if my gaming club stays with 1.0, I will end up saving a lot of money.

Are other gaming clubs experiencing this phenomenon?

2 minutes ago, spacesound said:

You're not going to be alone in this. Other clubs and groups are staying 1.0, and if the majority of players in that location stay 1.0 it makes sense for everybody who plays regularly there to at least keep their 1.0 from the cleansing fires they deserve.

That said, my own group is going in for 2.0 hard. A lot of excitement, with only one or two showing reservations, and those are the guys with the least invested so far.

I've seen people attempt to stick with older versions of a game when a new one releases. It rarely works out. Either the older system has to be clearly and vastly superior or the local group has to be sufficiently isolated from the wider gaming community to insulate them from the peer pressure of playing the new system. Based on that experience I think most of the people who say they'll be sticking with 1st edition will most likely not be.

We're all excited about 2.0, but will be buying it in limited quantities (at first). Everyone will have to get the core set, but most of us (myself included) will get the conversion kit of our favorite faction. There are one or two of us who are getting the conversion kits for 2 factions, but no one is getting a kit for all 3. 

We're very much "wait and see" as it pertains to buying re-releases of old ships. 

41 minutes ago, Magnus042 said:

Most of my local players wont even show up to play casual 1.0 anymore. The overwhelming consensus has been: "See you when 2.0 releases!"

Same. Armada being balanced has taken all of the 1E casual fun out of the game locally.  

Which really sucks because I wanted to practice for Nova but no dice. (Can only play with TTS and benchmark for so long).

Edited by FlyingAnchors

51 minutes ago, spacesound said:

No.  Everyone at my FLGS has stopped playing X-Wing completely until 2.0 comes.  Even the 2.0 moaners aren’t playing 1.0 (bags of hot air).  In the meantime Kill Team is taking up our X-Wing night!  First 40k I’ve played for 20 years. ? 

Lol no.

1.0 is a mess of balance issues and infuriating game mechanics curtosy of certain pilot/upgrade combos

2nd Ed all the way, though I know I'm certainly going to be buying back in slowly. No reason to break your neck diving in when there's so much to explore with just one core + conversion kit

Our group is heavily invested in 1.0. Most are making the switch, some still say they are not.  We are not store affiliated, just a core group of 12 players that get together at a friends house (where we can drink and whatnot). Currently we are saying, bring a 1.0 list on game nights just in case.

Edited by faceyfood

My local store is keeping 1.0 until end of the year. 2.0 will begin next year for us. I dont know why they are doing this, but its how its going. I have really no interest in playing 1.0, so Ill just focus on l5r and the occasional random 2.0 test game if anyones interested.

1 hour ago, heychadwick said:

I don't see groups sticking with 1.0 after about 6 months of 2.0 being out.  I've heard of similar with other game systems and about 90% convert 6 months after release.  Hold outs are usually small groups of hold outs (2-4).

I have a large collection and am excited. 

I'm genuinely curious how many people will still be refusing to convert after everyone else is playing with their shiny new toys.  I feel like maybe small groups could stubbornly hold back if they at least aren't frequently subjected to other people enjoying 2.0 in their immediate vicinity, but being one of a couple 1.0 holdouts in a store full of 2.0 players seems like a bit of a stretch.

Unless, of course, 2.0 somehow turns out to be a disaster but it's looking fairly solid so far.

Local club mostly converting as of now (non-US we still have to wait until sept-okt), several are quite enthusiastic as we are fed up with a lot of the 1.0c r a p. Not that many players showing up, playing HotAc and strange lists. 

The pity is that Epic will be dysfunctional for along time :(

The entirety of my local gaming scene is converting over... except one who quit the game when 2.0 was announced and called the rest of us sheep for converting... yeah, we aren't gonna miss him. Myself and a couple others are playing 1.0 and variant formats until 2.0 drops in a few weeks :)

1 hour ago, Effenhoog said:

I'm genuinely curious how many people will still be refusing to convert after everyone else is playing with their shiny new toys.  I feel like maybe small groups could stubbornly hold back if they at least aren't frequently subjected to other people enjoying 2.0 in their immediate vicinity, but being one of a couple 1.0 holdouts in a store full of 2.0 players seems like a bit of a stretch.

Unless, of course, 2.0 somehow turns out to be a disaster but it's looking fairly solid so far.

I probably fit in that small batch.

I only play with guys in the basement.  There is a sweet spot for "conversion value" that I think most tourney players hit.  My bro and I have way too much, the new guys have way too little.

Everyone seems to think that 2.0 is going to liquid gold, ignoring the fact that it is being minted by the same dev group they flamed 6 mos ago as being, shall we say, challenged in the game design arena.

And, in any event, 1.0 is not broken for me.  We play for fun; JM5K, TLT, and Bomblets were never abused.  My brother loves B-Wings, and I still dread them.  So, given that there are going to be no new ships for a couple of years, I see no point in spending money to play stuff I already own.

Lastly, I just started a campaign with my brother, designed for balance around 1.0.  It will probably take us a year to play thru at once-per-month gaming.  All the 1.0 ships will probably still not have been converted by then.  So, as @LordFajubi has pointed out elsewhere, I'll let you chumps beta playtest 2.0 (:P), work out the kinks, then see if it's worth $.

I can only see 3 caveats leading to Instant Conversion:

A.  A bonafide, official campaign set featuring PvP (not HotAC style)

B.  The introduction of Prequel ships and factions that completely break new ground, ship-wise.

C.  A sale on 2.0 stuff so good that I would be a fool to pass it up. 

If I ever "play in public" (GenCon, most likely), I could always be one of those netlisters who looks up the cat's meow and then just buys enough decent 2.0 to let me participate in an event.

Edited by Darth Meanie

4 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

I probably fit in that small batch.

Yes, I could entirely see people who play in scenarios like you holding back on 1.0, which would probably be the correct decision in your case. Pocket metas, as it were. It's not wrong, just puts you into that awkward spot that a 2.0 upgrade is not going to be a good deal.

7 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

If I ever "play in public (GenCon, most likely)," I could always just buy enough 2.0 to let me participate in an event.

Or borrow? I know you don't play outside your own couple of 1.0 players normally, but you've played some games with some of us "2.0 hype guys" a few times.

9 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

I can only see 3 caveats leading to Instant Conversion:

A.  A bonafide, official campaign set featuring PvP (not HotAC style)

B.  The introduction of Prequel ships and factions that completely break new ground, ship-wise.

Oh, I'd so love to see these...

7 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

Or borrow?

That too.

Although I'd be a liar to say that I'm not buying ANY 2.0.  I will be buying the Lando Falcon, just for looks.

Shizzle, I would have bought 4 TIE/lns right out of the gate if they had been Inferno Squadron livery.  Big mistake, FFG!!