Boom Owl

Tie Bomber

tie-bomber.jpg

Not 100% sure but they seem great. Reload, bomb tricks, cool pilot abilities, no more shuttle title, good ordinance options, gunner, even a thematic linked target lock. Basically exactly what I wanted but cheaper than I imagined possible. Looks to be solid especially with Jonus or Jendon around. 

The generics just fit in so many potential lists. And thats before thinking about how great Deathfire might be as an actual time bomb along with Punishers which also seem stupid cheap?

Most of my pre 2.0 points hype was reserved for Tie Strikers, and FFG didnt disappoint on that end (Juke + Force Bro), but the points and upgrades available for these Tie Bombers are a surprise. 

Anyone else considering the Tie Bomber hype train? 

Edited by Boom Owl

The Bomber has been my favorite ship since Wave 3. It's the first ship I ever bought a second copy of. 

The Bomber will always hold a special place in my heart.

I have to admit, I wasn't that thrilled when I saw the new dial and cards.

But then my heart skipped a beat when I read the PDFs and saw both how cheap they are, and that they have a Gunner slot, allowing them to use Skilled Bombadier and Nimble Bomber in conjunction! 

HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I only own four. Might just have to go buy more. Or, you know, wait until the inevitable awesome resculpt next spring! :) 

5 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

Anyone else considering the Tie Bomber hype train? 

I would have to have gotten off the train to get back on.  I have loved Tie Bombers since they came out.  I brought 4 Scimitar to a Store Champ right after the Decimator came out.  That was before Guidance Chip and Extra Munitions.  I came in 3rd!  Maybe time to use the old Darkhorse's strategy guide?

I bought 4 for the list, but then got a 5th for Imp Vets.  A friend bought a 6th as a Xmas present, but I haven't even opened it yet.

But serious prophets have said Tie Bomber will be useless and not on the winner side about the second edition ! :P

I keep what I said and stay on the side where the bomber is on the winner side : A far good dial (no red hard turn, more k-turn), nice ability for drop bombs (nimble bomber) , better pilots ability (Jonus, Deathfire), nice cost, linked action (barrel roll and lock ? Yes please).

Of course we lost the guidance ship and lightweight frame but seriously with the nerf of many thing I can live with that !

I LOVE THE BOMBER! It's my favourite TIE variant and I'm super excited for it to be legitimately good in 2.0.

I never stopped flying Tomax so I'll probably start with him first, but generics are so cheap I may fly a swarm of these at some point.

Barrage rockets look really good for the bomber, coupled with skilled bombardier and some devices they should have some real potential.

I feel like every Imperial list i build from now on will include at least one bomber.  A scimitar with Cluster Missiles and Seismic Charges is only 36 pts.  My fave so far is Rhymer with Cluster, Seismic and Skilled Bombardier.  He's a steal at 44 pts.  I tack on Saturation Salvo if I have the points remaining after building a nasty list around him.  Bombers just got SEXY.

I just flew 6 bombers, all with proton bombs, against a regenning XXXX list.

Absolutely SHREDDED it to PIECES.

One turn I dropped 3 bombs on a shieldless X-Wing. You can imagine how that went.

I wish I had more than two, because bomber spam is hilariously fun.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

4 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

I'm feeling Rhymer with two (assuming that's legal) cluster missiles, and sat salvo.

If you really want to prove a point, 4 Scimitars with Cluster Missiles and Rhymer with Cluster Missiles, all with a hull upgrade to prove a point. That's low initiative but a brutal-as amount of firepower, especially against swarms.

I don't mean to derail the hype train, but I think Bombers are pretty poor compared to other options.

They make some sense as cheap Barrage brawlers for 34pts, but I'm not sure about the rest.  The Punishers just look too **** tasty, especially hurling those Proton Bombs forward into all the TIE Swarms.

42 minutes ago, SOTL said:

I don't mean to derail the hype train, but I think Bombers are pretty poor compared to other options.

They make some sense as cheap Barrage brawlers for 34pts, but I'm not sure about the rest.  The Punishers just look too **** tasty, especially hurling those Proton Bombs forward into all the TIE Swarms.

How they bomb makes each different, which I like a lot. Why not take both? ?

Biggest difference between the Punisher and Bomber:

Bomber has Salvo access (EPT slot)
Punisher has white reload and native boost w/ ways to get it and still fire ordnance.

I love me some Punisher, but that lack of EPT....that kinda irritated me. Not as much as losing the 2nd cannon on gunboats but still irritated me. Atleast it feels like it can work around that problem this time.

I would consider flying this:

Colonel Jendon w/ Tractor Beam,      Admiral Sloane, Director Krennic

Captain Jonus w/ Homing Missiles, Elusive and the optimized prototype

3 x scimitar Squadron pilots w/ homing missiles

199 points (can replace tractor beam with heavy laser cannon if wanted for 200 points)

ideally, start slow for first two rounds and get a lock for all your ships.   Then, fire the homing missiles at whichever target you choose that you get in range.   

Re Punishers v Bombers

I think bombers have it by virtue of points and now a very solid dial. A barrage bomber is alsi cheaper than a naked generic punisher 

Now Punishers will be bolstered by trajectory sims, making them a lot better v jousters. Also, the pilot abilities are fantastic. This'll probably give you reason to run 1 or 2

If more flighty enemies, especially turrets or phantoms it other ships capable of lateral movement, I think you're better off bringing more arcs and dice

Of course, with how cheap bombers are, you could easily run both

Get a Jonus Salvo posse (3 ships) and a named Punisher, watch the fireworks 

Edited by ficklegreendice

Yeah I'm looking forward to 5 Scimitars all with Barrage Rockets and Proximity Mines/Proton Bombs

and

Redline, Proton Torpedoes, Advanced Sensors, Hull Upgrade (64) (so Focus/Lock/K-turn or my favourite new trick, Focus/Lock/Stop)

with 4 x Scimitar Squadrons, Barrage Rockets (34 each)

Edited by Rossetti1828