MasterShake2

Commandos Up

3 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

So who else is running triple Strike Team with Proton Charges? Just me? Ah, I guess I am the only person running T47's so meh.

I prefer triple snipers. Unlimited range is much more appealing. 

2 hours ago, Vineheart01 said:

I think for once both weapon options a unit can take are actually viable.

I dont see the Sniper being viable in a full unit but definitely in a heavy weapons team. Plop them somewhere elevated in the back and just poke things throughout the game, like Veers's head lol

Minelayer is more situational but still very potent. Unless theres something in the main rules about it they could just clog up a flank with mines.

I am not sure about not putting  a sniper in a full unit. Pierce is a good addon to an already decent attack pool with sharphooter.

The sniper does not hamper the unit like the mines do. You have to spent an action to lay a mine, which is a disadvantage for a full unit. A Strike team with mines can stay out of line of sight while laying the mines and you do not loose a lot of firepower. A Strike Team with mines can also move for close objecetives without loosing a lot of firepower. A Sniper Team in the back is more intuitive of course, but I'd guess the 1.4 FD would be better at that job.

4 minutes ago, M.Mustermann said:

I am not sure about not putting  a sniper in a full unit. Pierce is a good addon to an already decent attack pool with sharphooter.

The sniper does not hamper the unit like the mines do. You have to spent an action to lay a mine, which is a disadvantage for a full unit. A Strike team with mines can stay out of line of sight while laying the mines and you do not loose a lot of firepower. A Strike Team with mines can also move for close objecetives without loosing a lot of firepower. A Sniper Team in the back is more intuitive of course, but I'd guess the 1.4 FD would be better at that job.

^

Even with good range, snipers need LoS to attack. Super risky to have a 2 model unit with a white defense die exposing itself like that. Also prime target for Maximum Firepower, Coordinated Bombardment and fast units like speeders. Saboteur mines can still be detonated by other saboteurs even if the unit that dropped it is dead and it only needs LoS to where it's dropping mines, not to what mine is hitting.

3 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

^

Even with good range, snipers need LoS to attack. Super risky to have a 2 model unit with a white defense die exposing itself like that. Also prime target for Maximum Firepower, Coordinated Bombardment and fast units like speeders. Saboteur mines can still be detonated by other saboteurs even if the unit that dropped it is dead and it only needs LoS to where it's dropping mines, not to what mine is hitting.

Yepp, I basically agree.

I wonder though whether one or two 2-man units with snipers might be worth it anyway as a bait.

Maximum Firepower and Coordinated Bombardment are obviously a problem, but it might be possible to play around this. Both Leia and Veers are often hanging around in the backfield and play their one pip attack relativly early.  During deployment, it is usually relativly clear where they will be placed, because they want to support certain units.

If you place the snipers out of line of sight of Leia/Veers, they cannot shoot at everything, but can still deny half the board to bikes and such. You could also only present the unit leader and leave the sniper hidden until they play their attack card. If they can only kill the unit leader, the sniper teams are acually not a very attractive target.

I do not think they are that vulnerable to speeder bikes. They will usually be in hard cover in the open, and the bikes will have to commit completly to shoot at them.  It might be a good trade-off to sacrifice a 26-Point Sniper to get a clear shot with a good chunk of your army on that bikes.

22 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

^

If you hide your non-sniper model out of LoS, you can at least force them to be shot twice.  For the heavy weapon team, your sniper is the unit leader, so you would remove the sniper as a casualty, and then replace the out of LOS model with a new sniper.

Three 2-man Commando units with Proton Charge Saboteurs can litter the battlefield with charges! 18 charges, oh my! Can't wait to try it, ... and not blow my own units up!

So, for the Rebel Commando sniper: 1 black and 1 white, w/native surge conversion (so 5/8 and 3/8, respectively).

Scout Troopers do not have offensive surge, which makes me wonder if their sniper rifle will be, like, 2 black dice (4/8 and 4/8) or like, 1 red and 1 white (6/8 and 2/8). 

19 minutes ago, Orkimedes said:

If you hide your non-sniper model out of LoS, you can at least force them to be shot twice.  For the heavy weapon team, your sniper is the unit leader, so you would remove the sniper as a casualty, and then replace the out of LOS model with a new sniper.

I don't follow. You can't kill the leader of a unit unless they are the last one. How are you killing the sniper leader and then replacing it?

4 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

I don't follow. You can't kill the leader of a unit unless they are the last one. How are you killing the sniper leader and then replacing it?

The second trooper is out of LOS leaving the leader as the only one eligible to take damage.

5 minutes ago, werdnaegni said:

aaah damnit. I have to fix some code to make that work. **** you FFG, making an upgrade specific to TWO unit cards.

lol.

Some time ago, I built my own squad builder for X-Wing. Just for fun/practice/education. It was a lot of "fun" when they introduced double-slot upgrades and upgrades that affected the cost and availability of others. Learned a lot :)

2 hours ago, MasterShake2 said:

So who else is running triple Strike Team with Proton Charges? Just me? Ah, I guess I am the only person running T47's so meh.

Well, you'll more than likely have at least one left running around hiding in a corner to detonate the placed charges. ?

38 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Well, you'll more than likely have at least one left running around hiding in a corner to detonate the placed charges. ?

I mean, you can totally use the Arm action to detonate the charge if you're super unconcerned about your own units well being. Rebels are terrorists after all ;).

3 hours ago, jocke01 said:

Snipers being very effective vs units not in heavy cover seems perfect, not to expensive either.

I think commandoes with proton charge is going to give rebels a real counter too speeder bikes.

Drop the token and wait for comp move or fire and removing their natural cover. Why not both?

They already have one... The are called fleet troopers

3 hours ago, jocke01 said:

Snipers being very effective vs units not in heavy cover seems perfect, not to expensive either.

I think commandoes with proton charge is going to give rebels a real counter too speeder bikes.

Drop the token and wait for comp move or fire and removing their natural cover. Why not both?

Charges actually won't be great against speeders because Detonate triggers off an action and compulsory moves aren't actions. So you could compulsory onto the mine and then move off of it without giving your opponent a chance to Detonate.

9 minutes ago, KingCHUD said:

Charges actually won't be great against speeders because Detonate triggers off an action and compulsory moves aren't actions. So you could compulsory onto the mine and then move off of it without giving your opponent a chance to Detonate.

This statement shows a clear separation between how many charges you believe will be the table and how many I plan to use...