Wedge Nantillais

Unidentified rebel ships in Episode V

Ok, getting back on topic, then.  I suppose there's a couple ways to look at this.  From a real-world standpoint, I doubt they were intended to be any specific ships, and I suspect they were just thrown together to fill out the scene.  However, that doesn't change the fact that they're in the film, and therefore require some form of explanation.

'A' is the one you can see the most clearly at 0:09-0:10.  It has sort of twin pods on the front that kind of look like a CR-90's bridge turned sideways, so I'm going to guess some sort of Corellian design.  However, the motion definitely reveals that it's closer to the viewer than the Y-Wing, which appears only a little smaller than it, so I'm going to go with it being a starfighter or at most a transport of some kind.

'B' looks like debris to me, but it's moving along with everything else.  The closest craft I can think of is the Sheathipede, though it's not quite right for that.  Maybe a newer design.

'C' appears to be similar to whatever craft is visible at 0:00-0:02 in the upper-left.  My best guess is an MC-30c with light and shadows messing with the lines a bit, though they would have to be pretty far away in that case, as the MC-30c is almost twice the length of a Nebulon-B.

3 hours ago, JJ48 said:

'C' appears to be similar to whatever craft is visible at 0:00-0:02 in the upper-left.  My best guess is an MC-30c with light and shadows messing with the lines a bit, though they would have to be pretty far away in that case, as the MC-30c is almost twice the length of a Nebulon-B.

h60a.png.4e1320139799d1a9258fb563bc90acde.png

In regard of the general movement of the fleet, I think they are starfighters rather than capital ships, kind of B-wings without s-foils, like the H-60 Tempest :

h60.jpg.1fe400b468a7cbfd2d8a9eb886771542.jpg

5 hours ago, Wedge Nantillais said:

In regard of the general movement of the fleet, I think they are starfighters rather than capital ships, kind of B-wings without s-foils, like the H-60 Tempest :

Could also just be b-wings but the s-foils don't make out well on the screen, I suppose.

10 hours ago, Commander Kaine said:

Sorry dude, but you guys don't exactly exude the feeling of a safe and welcoming country. I'm pretty sure the US is an amazing place, if it weren't for all the people living there. 

But credit is given where credit is due, you have some really cool animals. Also landscapes. 

But your history, your economy, your politics and your general attitude on the internet... Yeah, I'll pass. 

There is a congressional election coming in the fall

Elections are built on Hope.

(I would welcome you.  Just make sure you bring your ships.  Oh, and a mat.  I haven't picked one up yet.)

6 hours ago, Wedge Nantillais said:

I was not previously aware of this ship, but you're right that it seems a decent fit!

3 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

But they didn’t make them up until RotJ I thought...

That's why we need to differentiate between in-universe and real-world explanations.  I'm perfectly willing to accept the idea that LucasFilm just threw some more ships on the screen and didn't really worry about what they were or whether they would ever use them again.  However, they're there now and need to be accounted for in-universe.  If a B-Wing or similar is what fits best, I'm perfectly fine saying that's what it is, regardless of whether it's what the filmmakers were thinking at the time.