Sign in to follow this  
PhantomFO

2nd Edition Pilots - Winners & Losers: Scum Edition

Last in our series, and the first one that I can actually use numbers for!

Winners:

Guri - She keeps the 5 to determine her activation order, but IN5 means a lot more than PS5 ever did and will make it easier for her to pick up that free focus. The StarViper gets a system-slot standard now. Virago title seems interesting. 26 points is steep, but could give her a 3/4/3/3 statline with options for two red boost actions at the start of the End phase.

Moralo Eval - Winner of the Most Fun Pilot Ability award. Being able to just NOPE right out of combat and then reappear somewhere else along the edge of the board that he just left? I can't wait to pair him with 2.0 Boba crew and Beckett to move a rock, set myself up in range 0 of it, and just harrass my opponent from angles they didn't prepare for.

Boba Fett - Built-in white boost, trading Evade for Reinforce, and hard 1 turns should make him a much better knife-fighter, especially when combined with the new Slave 1 or Marauder titles.

Losers:

Contracted Scout - In 1.0, it was absurd how much better the Contracted Scout was compared to the Wild Space Fringer, despite having a better dial and better upgrades. In 2.0, the Scout has become the new Fringer, as its cost compared to the new YT-1300 Freighter Captain is bonkers. It's six points more for basically barrel roll instead of boost, and a Torpedo slot instead of missiles, two crew, and a gunner. One of these two things is going to be an early candidate for adjustment, because this looks lopsided.

Fenn Rau - He moves from 28 points before upgrades to 68 (34 in 1.0 terms). The Concord Dawn title is a tradeoff - it doesn't require him to have arc on the attacker, but it also only changes a result instead of adding an evade. Losing autothrusters also hurts his evasiveness, and he can't even take another mod to replace it as the Fang is one of only three ships without any mod access. He does get an Advanced Proton Torpedo for a significant discount compared to 1.0, at least.

Kath Scarlet - Her ability is much more restrictive in your list building, and basically forces you to run a swarm of generics with her. It's thematic, but ugh.

In actuality, I believe Fenn Rau has only gotten 2 points more expensive (in 1.0) 4 points in 2.0 

Considering now the protectorate has a built in Push the Limit, that essentially adds 3 pts (6 in 2.0).

So Fenn is now in 1.0 - 28 + 3 (Built in PTL) + 1 (built in Title) = 32 or 64 in 2.0 terms. 

Edited by Xavi17
mispell

Starvipers as a whole won pretty big.  Their cost stayed roughly the same (bumped up by v2 pricing), and Guri comes out at 62 (31) points.  Xizor and Dalen are much more affordable. The real kicker is that all Starvipers have System slots and their banking barrel-rolls baked in now...  Which is AWESOME!  Definitely winners, as far as I’m concerned.

1 hour ago, dotswarlock said:

Sunny lost a lot, being 12 points (24 points equivalent V2) with title in version 1 to 31 pointsin V2.  I'll agree that she was undercosted in V1 though.

I'm not sure about that. She also has the Heavy Scyk title as a factory default. By using standard, she's 0.5 points cheaper than she was in 1.0, while picking up a 5-straight maneuver.

I'd be interested to see how a Jumpmaster with Proton Torpedos and Contraband Cybernetics works out.  Those fit 3 into a list.

//

The Protectorate fighters are a lot more expensive than I would have hoped.  Skull Squadron Pilot with Fearless is 53 points rather than 50.

Fenn Rau... well, he does get Push the Limit built-in, but he seems... eh.

//

I think the Scyk did well.  29 points (14.5 1e) with the title built-in is decent on the low generic.  You can fit *six* of them with the new 4-point Heavy Laser Cannons.  Laetin A'shera was always one of my favorites, and he gained an Elite slot and a better pilot ability and is cheaper (down half-a-1e point before factoring in the free , although he's lower init now.  Quinn Jast is nifty in that his pilot ability allows him to restore a charge on any upgrade, not just a missile/torpedo.  He'd be an oddball to try with Stealth Device, Elusive, or Crack Shot. Crack HLC Quinn is just 40 points.

Too bad the M3A dial got a little worse in losing Blue/Green 2-banks.  That's kind of unfortunate.

Their flexible cannon/missile/torpedo slot seems nice, though.  Torps hit hard but are expensive.  Missiles don't hit too hard, but can be really cheap.  Homing Missile is a mere 3 points!  It seems good to me, but who knows.  Maybe it won't work out well in practice.

//

Say! Scurrg lost missile and torpedo slots! That's pretty big.  You'll be able to fit 4x Lok Revenant with Dorsal Turret, however.  I think they're probably still decent.

//

Biggest Loser: R5-TK costs 1 point now, but Genius still zero.  Lame.

5 minutes ago, Rodafowa said:

Am I crazy thinking that Talonbane Cobra is going to be pretty handy in a world where arc-dodging has been nerfed? His ability’s gotten a buff and he’s gotten a bit cheaper, albeit losing his modification discount in the process?

The cost difference between Fenn and Talonbane is much more reasonable now. Also TC - finally! - working against secondaries helps him a lot. I still do not see the worth of 3 mod slots, regarding which choices we have to fill these slots with. The old Vaksai feeled it worth to take the "variable toolbox" approach. 

My only hope with the Kihraxz, is that there is some way to eventually give it a permanent boost action via ship mods.

Or...  What would be REALLY awesome, is if they leave the Khiraxz as-is and eventually add a Vraksai kit.  To make it visually distinctive, they could use the one of the styles that has the pushed-back cockpit look with the booster engines.

Edited by It’s One Of Ours

8 hours ago, X Wing Nut said:

the only thing that sucks about Starvipers is no Illicit slot :(

Yeah, not being able to give it an illicit is a bit rough...  But considering that the Virago title adds a shield, 2 charges for an End-phase red boost, and a second mod slot, is pretty awesome even for 10pts.  Th Virago is finally exceptional beyond just giving the Viper a system and illicit.

Besides that, from a balance perspective the Viper probably won’t need the illicit slot at all.  Guri with Virago + Adv Sensors + Afterburners + whatever **** else you want to add, is going to be a nightmare superiority fighter on the table.

Edited by It’s One Of Ours
Additional horrific discovery

All pilots for the X-wing are aggressively priced, so it should be used as the baseline. Kihraxz is the biggest winner from my perspective. All the pilots have good price points. Fang fighter is the biggest loser with the generics going up in cost. For named pilots, 52 point Wedge is the current goto comparison point. 68 point Fenn Rau is too pricey without having any force to use. 50 point Talonbane Cobra is very reasonable, but 52 point Wedge is still all around better.

Here are some efficiency numbers for generic pilots.

image.png.6b4ffe69950b2938b30a85fc24a03473.png

36 minutes ago, Dengar5 said:

All pilots for the X-wing are aggressively priced, so it should be used as the baseline. Kihraxz is the biggest winner from my perspective. All the pilots have good price points. Fang fighter is the biggest loser with the generics going up in cost. For named pilots, 52 point Wedge is the current goto comparison point. 68 point Fenn Rau is too pricey without having any force to use. 50 point Talonbane Cobra is very reasonable, but 52 point Wedge is still all around better.

Here are some efficiency numbers for generic pilots.

image.png.6b4ffe69950b2938b30a85fc24a03473.png

Far be it from me to rush to the defense of Fenn Rau, but with Soontir being 52, 68 DOES seem like a lot. 

62 seems about right.