Sign in to follow this  
Gengis Jon

2v2 gameplay — Anyone tried yet?

I noticed FFG will be hosting a 2v2 tournament at GenCon this year.

Here’s the event description:

Come register as a team or alone and be paired with another player. Players will have to bring their own armies, cards, tools, and dice. Bring a 600 point army and join forces with another player! The Unique character rule must be followed between teammates.”

Anyone tried playing this type of set up yet? Sounds pretty fun.

I wonder how they’ll handle turns...

Blue1, Red1, Blue2, Red2

or

Blue1, Blue2, Red1, Red2

I've got a 2v2 Grand Army game scheduled for 2 weeks from now, so I can post back what happens with that. We're thinking 800 pts per side, but each player on the team has to have a unique commander, and we'll be combining the pips of the command cards both sides play to determine who goes first. We're pretty excited for the implications, such as Veers bringing a full armored division of 2 AT-ST and max bikes, and Vader maxing out on corps units and the like. Also, a game with six AT-RTs and an enormous rebel horde...

22 minutes ago, NoShieldsAllGuts said:

I've got a 2v2 Grand Army game scheduled for 2 weeks from now, so I can post back what happens with that. We're thinking 800 pts per side, but each player on the team has to have a unique commander, and we'll be combining the pips of the command cards both sides play to determine who goes first. We're pretty excited for the implications, such as Veers bringing a full armored division of 2 AT-ST and max bikes, and Vader maxing out on corps units and the like. Also, a game with six AT-RTs and an enormous rebel horde...

Sounds like it could be a lot of fun, look forward to hearing how it goes!

26 minutes ago, NoShieldsAllGuts said:

This sounds cool AF! A combined 1600-point Army...jeez. Are you planning to still play on a 3x6 table or would you almost have to go bigger? (I’m trying imagine fitting everything in...)

Definitely eager to hear how it goes!

52 minutes ago, Gengis Jon said:

This sounds cool AF! A combined 1600-point Army...jeez. Are you planning to still play on a 3x6 table or would you almost have to go bigger? (I’m trying imagine fitting everything in...)

Definitely eager to hear how it goes!

If they are playing Grand Army per the RRG, then the board size increases to 4X6, and deployment is within Range 2 of one of the 6' sides of the board. 

Just out of curiosity, how were the battle cards and turn order handled? Is the command hand shared or individual? I don't see any rules anywhere regarding 2v2 play and it is something I'm very keen in trying!

On 7/27/2018 at 12:30 PM, NoShieldsAllGuts said:

We played a 2v2 just like this last night. We removed the unit limitations from list building, as long as each player had a unique commander. I ran Veers with 2 AT-STs and some troopers, while my team mate ran Vader with troopers and and AT-ST. We alternated red/blue activations with each team deciding which player would activate a unit. Units only took orders from their own commander, and were only considered 'friendly' to their own commander for the purposes of Spotter/Take Cover/etc. Additionally, only your own commander could use his courage value for his troops. When it was all said and done, our Rebel opponents were running a total of 10-12 Rebel troopers with Z-6s with Luke, Leia, some AT-RTs, and 2 Air Speeders.

We opted to not have any objectives, and ended up calling the game after only 2 rounds (we started way later than we had planned).

On 8/4/2018 at 9:15 PM, WillKill said:

Just out of curiosity, how were the battle cards and turn order handled? Is the command hand shared or individual? I don't see any rules anywhere regarding 2v2 play and it is something I'm very keen in trying!

I would also be interested in this  if anyone played in the 2v2 Tourny at gencon this weekend.

One of the participants in the Gen Con tourney said on the Facebook group:

"Both players had their own command cards and token pools. Lowest total pips per team went first. (I.e. ambush + assault = 4) commanders can't command other player's units. They did share commander courage values to friendly troopers for checking break."

Another person also said that among the team that won initiative, the player that played the lowest pip card played first.

And it was played on  a regular size 6x3 table.

4 hours ago, Xargonaut said:

And it was played on  a regular size 6x3 table.

I’m having the hardest time imagining 1200pts vs 1200pts on a table that small.

2 minutes ago, Gengis Jon said:

I’m having the hardest time imagining 1200pts vs 1200pts on a table that small.

Honestly, depends on the amount and size if terrain. I'd be interested to see photos. 

In a 2v2 game, Disarray would be a lot less inconvenient... 

We did 800 pts combined per side with picking one command card for each team. We also did the standard scenario selection. I would suggest removing long March.  It took us 4 hours without getting to finish. 

I was one of the players in the 2v2 battle with NoShieldsAllGuts.  It was super fun! Probably one of my favorite Legion games I have played so far.

It was tactically challenging but also very thematic.  Luke sacrificed himself so that Leia and Han could score the victory.

One observation I had was that bikes are less effective in the larger point format.  It was kind of like trying to play Soontir Fel in X-wing epic play.  There are not enough places to flank from and not enough places to hide from all of the firepower on the board.  In hindsight I wished that I had brought several AT-ST's and just punched through with brute force.

I really enjoyed how the sniper commandos shaped the game.  LoS blocking became way more important from turn 1 (which also worked well with our building set-up) and it forced our troops to advance quickly out of hiding.