Darth Meanie

Picutorion Campaign Log

New content!!

So, my brother seems to just like to sit there and not spend his asset points.  He'd be happy to fly B-Wings until doomsday.  Unfortunately, this means if I spend points to do things, I will automatically lose since he will have the bigger kitty.  So, I devised these Diversion Missions as a way for the trailing player to knock down the other guy's kitty at no risk to themselves (well, other than 2 asset points to buy the diversion}.  Also, it's a great way to see a little Scum and Villainy action in an otherwise Imperial vs. Rebel campaign. . .

Diversion (300 points):  Against the Cartel

You must have less Asset Points in reserve than your opponent to launch this Diversion.

Purchasing Player launches a strike against a Hutt Cartel.  The opposing player builds a list containing Jabba the Hutt.  This list cannot contain any Tier 3 S&V ships, and only 100 points of Tier 2 S&V ships.  The Defending Player does not pay for any of the S&V pilots, and does not get to keep any S&V pilots used, but any Unique S&V pilots killed in this encounter are struck from the list of available pilots for the campaign.  If the Purchasing Player destroys Jabba (who does not count as Unique for this match--he is a stand in for a generic Hutt gangster), that player gains 7 Asset Points.  Once Jabba is killed, the Purchasing Player can flee the board.

Diversion (300 points):  Pyrates!!

You must have less Asset Points in reserve than your opponent to launch this Diversion.

Purchasing Player runs an unexpected pirate attack against the Defending Player’s supply lines.  The Purchasing Player builds a Scum and Villainy list.  The Purchasing Player does not pay for any of the S&V pilots, and does not get to keep any S&V pilots used, but any Unique S&V pilots killed in this encounter are struck from the list of available pilots for the campaign.  The Defending Player’s list must contain at least one Huge ship.  If the Purchasing Player destroys the Huge transport, the Defending Player loses 7 Asset Points. 

Diversion (200 points):  Your Debts Are Due

Purchasing Player builds a list containing Prince Xizor and/or Guri.  The list may not contain any Tier 3 S&V ships.  The Purchasing Player does not pay for any of the S&V pilots, and does not get to keep any S&V pilots used, but any Unique S&V pilots killed in this encounter are struck from the list of available pilots for the campaign.  If the Defending Player destroys Xizor and/or Guri (both must be destroyed if both are present) the Defending Player can flee the board.  If the Purchasing Player destroys the Defending Player’s fleet, the Defending Player loses 5 Asset Points.

Diversion (100 points): Death Mark

Purchasing player builds a 100 point list containing at least 1 bounty hunter.  The Purchasing Player does not pay for any of the S&V pilots, and does not get to keep any S&V pilots used, but any Unique S&V pilots killed in this encounter are struck from the list of available pilots for the campaign.  The Diversion costs 1 additional Asset Point to launch for every Tier 3 bounty hunter included in the list.  The Purchasing Player chooses 1 enemy Pilot to be the target.  The Defending player must build a 100 point list that includes that pilot.  The engagement lasts until the mark or a bounty hunter is destroyed.  When any bounty hunter is destroyed (if there are more than one), the Defending Player may flee the table edge.  If the Purchasing Player destroys the Defending Player’s mark, the Defending Player loses 3 Asset Points.

Diversion (100 points): You Have Entered a Restricted Area

Purchasing player builds a 100 point list containing only Mandalorians.  The Purchasing Player does not pay for any of the S&V pilots, and does not get to keep any S&V pilots used, but any Unique S&V pilots killed in this encounter are struck from the list of available pilots for the campaign.  The Diversion costs 1 additional Asset Point to launch for every Tier 3 pilot included in the list.  The Defending player builds an unrestricted 100 point list.  The engagement lasts is to the death; unfortunately, Mandalorians tend to shoot first and ask question later. . .  If the Purchasing Player destroys the Defending Player’s fleet, the Defending Player loses 3 Asset Points.

Edited by Darth Meanie

I so wish I could be playing with you!

Question about the list building for these new diversions. In "Against the Cartel" you specify that the defending player does not pay for the S&V list and in all the rest you specify that the purchasing player does not pay for the S&V lists. Did you mean to flip this and where does the opposing player's list come from?

2 hours ago, Bullox said:

I so wish I could be playing with you!

Thanks!!  It sure would be nice to have a play group larger than 2. . .

Question about the list building for these new diversions. In "Against the Cartel" you specify that the defending player does not pay for the S&V list and in all the rest you specify that the purchasing player does not pay for the S&V lists. Did you mean to flip this and where does the opposing player's list come from?

I inverted this to give both sides a chance to play Scum.  So, the purchasing player builds a list as usual for his side (with some risk, since he'll be bringing unique pilots), and the opposing player gets to choose S&V ships (which is why I made sure to specify they can't all be Tier 2).  Since the purchasing player is losing, it's a chance for a big prize to even the score.

You could certainly invert it back, with the defender taking a loss of 7 asset points like the other scenarios.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Taking advantage of my new idea, I launch a Scum diversion:

Diversion (200 points):  Your Debts Are Due

Purchasing Player builds a list containing Prince Xizor and/or Guri.  The list may not contain any Tier 3 S&V ships.  The Purchasing Player does not pay for any of the S&V pilots, and does not get to keep any S&V pilots used, but any Unique S&V pilots killed in this encounter are struck from the list of available pilots for the campaign.  If the Defending Player destroys Xizor and/or Guri (both must be destroyed if both are present) the Defending Player can flee the board.  If the Purchasing Player destroys the Defending Player’s fleet, the Defending Player loses 5 Asset Points.

Prince Xizor and Guri aim to collect from Han and Stinger Squadron.

f489VCS.jpg

In my first genius move, I forget that I can't use Cruise Missiles (since I lost access to them}, and emergency refit Ion Pulse Missiles to the Vaksai.  Then, I joust with B-Wings.  Han has no problem with this and says, "Send the B-Wings.  Full attack."

gHyt3Lz.jpg

The Vaksai land all their missiles, then eat their lunch.  Xizor does his best to get to Han, but is eaten alive.

uct5ujT.jpg

Guri and a Vaksai manage to flank the B-Wings, but it is too little, too late, and I concede that they are doomed.

uct5ujT.jpg

My brother launches his diversion:

Diversion (300 points):  Capital Gains

Purchasing Player launches a strike against a Huge ship to destroy it.  The Defending player must use one of the Titles for the Raider or CR-90.  If the corvette is destroyed, the Title is lost for future missions (as per losing a Unique Pilot) and the Purchasing player earns 4 Asset Points.  The Attacking player may flee the board after the Huge ship is destroyed.

Stinger Squadron is after the Raider Impetuous.

QJjI3v2.jpg

The Impetuous starts in the corner to put herself some distance from the main fleet, and the small ships scatter along the edge to either draw off the B-Wings or flank them if they go straight for the Raider.  The B-Wings start by attacking the support ships.  Unfortunately, when support looks like this:

l7HezZc.jpg

jFcYEeA.jpg

Yeah, that's my ion cannon followed by the R1 primary attack.  And he had just defended. . .so that's 10 solid blanks in the same turn. :huh:

Having dealt with my supporting fleet, the hive turns towards the Impetuous:

5lgcWXV.jpg

My Impetuous build was pretty good, and destroyed 4 B-Wings, but it's not near enough when the opponent's list looks like this:

GeSagYb.jpg

With her front crippled, and the swarm closing in on rear, the Impetuous tries to ram Solo:

KM8cLa7.jpg

So close, but not quite.

KIA:  Xizor and Guri.

Vader, Karsabi and Agent Kallus.  Loss of the Impetuous.

Ibtisam

Before the next mission, I am going to ban this list by benching Han and sending the B-Wings back to the factory for a check up!!

• 1 point:  Benched.  The player may deny the use of a Unique pilot in the next game.  A Unique pilot may only be Benched once during the course of the campaign.

• 2 points:  Factory Recall.  The player may deny the use of a single ship type in the next game.  A chassis may only be Recalled once during the course of the campaign.  The player may not issue a Recall on a chassis type required for the next mission.

In an unrelated note, we have started using the 2.0 damage deck and love the new crits.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Episode V: The Rebellion Strikes Back

Mission 5 of 6 in the Kwymar Suppressions Campaign

The Rebels have finally decided to take the fight to the Empire.  (If they are winning, they are emboldened.  If they are losing, they are getting desperate.)  Spies have located an Imperial refueling facility.  If they can destroy Imperial resources, they can finally begin to gain some ground in repelling the Imperial incursions in the Kwymar Sector.  Unfortunately, the facility is well-guarded. . .

List Building:

Each Rebel player brings a 300 point list.  The Imperials start with 300 points.  However, 100 points of reinforcements will arrive on Round 5.  These ships must be hyperspace capable!

Set Up:

6x3 play area.  Players deploy along the short ends of the board.  Before deployment, the Imperial player places 6 Asteroids on the Rebel side of the board, and 12 Cargo Containers on the Imperial side of the board.  Cargo containers must be at least Range 1 from each other.

Play:

The Imperials have Initiative.  Play is as typical, with the following in game special effects:

Cargo Containers have 4 Hull and no Shields.  They have 0 Agility and no attack.  They can be Target Locked.  They do count as obstacles!  Treat a critical hit as 2 damage.  In addition, if an Imperial ship is with Range 1 of a Cargo Container that is hit, that pilot may choose to suffer one of the hits or critical hits instead of the satellite.  When destroyed, the Cargo Container explodes!  Roll a 2 die Attack against all ships within Range 1 of the destroyed container; ships suffer any damage or critical hits rolled.

On round 5, Imperial reinforcements arrive.  They may deploy at Range 1 of any table edge on the Imperial side.  They must appear together as a unit (no ship further than Range 1 of another friendly ship.)

After round 6, pilots may flee any table edge to avoid being destroyed.

Victory Conditions:

For each Cargo Container destroyed, the Rebels gain 1 Asset Point.  For each Cargo Container remaining, the Imperials gain 2 Asset Points.

If a player would earn less than 2 Asset Points, he receives 2 Asset Points.

Posted (edited)

Rough night for the Imperials.  It is likely I simply flew really bad, but it does make me want to test this scenario a little more for balance.

I set up with most of the creates deep in Imperial territory.  I wonder if I should have had a few out front, so that I could shoot Rebels while they were shooting sacrificial crates.

SYt4ltt.jpg

Initially, it looks good.  The Imperial get off alpha strikes with plasma torpedoes, and down 1 X-wing.

UxCBoPN.jpg

Still looking good.  The lines mesh, and Wedge dies from close-range attacks by the star-wings.

qkmHT1y.jpg

Disaster.  Reinforcements arrive.  I really want to have them flank the Rebels, but I only have a narrow shelf of "Imperial side" to deploy them on.  "Imperial Entanglements" ensue; I bump every ship that was supposed to K-turn and the Rebels fly right on by, scooping up another row of crates.

Qf1Vvyd.jpg

Game over.  Only one lonely Defender can get his **** sorted, while the Rebel fleet destroys all remaining Imperial supplies and makes the jump to hyperspace.

AfPGWFQ.jpg

KIA:  Wedge and R2-D2.

12 Asset points for the Rebels, 2 Asset points for the Imperials.

I'm pretty sure the Imps just lost control of the Sector. :(

Edited by Darth Meanie

Posted (edited)

Diversion (300 points):  Pyrates!!

Purchasing Player runs an unexpected pirate attack against the Defending Player’s supply lines.  The Purchasing Player builds a Scum and Villainy list.  The Purchasing Player does not pay for any of the S&V pilots, and does not get to keep any S&V pilots used, but any Unique S&V pilots killed in this encounter are struck from the list of available pilots for the campaign.  The Defending Player’s list must contain at least one Huge ship.  If the Purchasing Player destroys the Huge transport, the Defending Player loses 7 Asset Points. 

I try to make up some lost capital by launching the "Pyrates!" diversion.

As expected, it's all B-wings and a Huge.  Not wanting to joust a half-dozen B-Wings, I try to come in from the front at an angle to maximize attacks on the corvette while minimizing exposure to B-wings:

ml97VSK.jpg

My first tactical error is to commit my 2 large ships too soon, and they take some punishment from his splinter squadron of Luke, Hobbie, and a B-Wing.

IUeAQdB.jpg

Kath Scarlet is destroyed, but not before having some fun with Connor Nets.  The Ghostbuster manages to slide thru the mess, and begins to flank the corvette.

vJgSKfF.jpg

Meanwhile, my attack wing is getting into position.

RvyPvTr.jpg

My Kimogilas get to have some fun with Harpoon Missiles (believe it or not this is my first time ever using them!!}, but since Chips are on my banned list I don't get as much play as I would like out of these results.

i5luRw4.jpg

Q5WQ9eh.jpg

My brother begins to critique my game that is slowly going south.  He claims I should have just run broadsides to the corvette to get an alpha strike.  I laugh at the idea that I would "joust" a squad of B-Wings while not returning fire.  I suggest that the game would have been over in 2 turns if I had done that.  He gets to prove my point as his b-wings finally 'round the corvette and slam into my missile ships:

BFIaqVM.jpg

Two kimos die in a turn, and my ships have wasted all their ordnance trying to survive 6 b-wings.  Ghostbuster does manage to bash the corvette pretty well as passes down her starboard side, and with some close range shots from snubfighters, she does take several hits and crits.  But it's too little, too late:  in the end, a double ionized Vaksai gets run over by the corvette, and Ketsu is doomed as all the B-wings now have nothing better to do than kill her.

pSQmwtW.jpg

Ah, well.

Among the goofs for the night was the fact that I totally missed a Z-95 that I was supposed to have in play because he was on a page I didn't see.  Also, My brother had 2 HLCs on the corvette that are supposed to be C-ROC only, but I basically let it slide.

Tactically, I probably should have had Kath and Ketsu deploy like they were going to joust the B-Wings, and then see if I could make them give chase, and draw them off while bombing them with Kath.

KIA:  Ketsu, Kath Scarlet, Unkar Plutt, Hobbie.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Episode VI:  The Last of the Leaders

Mission 6 of 6 in the Kwymar Suppressions Campaign

The enemy is nearly defeated!!  The player with the most Assets after Episode V and any Diversions played before Episode VI launches an attack against the leaders of the opposition.  A secret meeting in a remote sector of space has been discovered by the agents of the ascendant player, and an attack is launched in hopes of finishing the enemy once and for all.  On the other hand, if the ambush is unsuccessful, it may only mean that defeat is inevitable. . .

Set Up:

6x3 play area.

Hazards include 3 ion storm tokens (from the HotAC campaign materials), 7 asteroids, and 3 mine fields (also from HotAC).  All hazards must be placed further than Range 1 from a table edge and further than Range 1 from each other.  The hazards are placed as follows:  ion storms first (Defending Player deploys first), followed by the seven asteroids (again, the Defending Player places first), and the finally the 3 mine fields (which are all placed by the Defending Player).  Finally, each player choses 1 asteroid to be inhabited by a space slug.  This gives the Defending Player an advantage in board set up, since the Defending fleet chose the meeting location in the first place.  Hazard density will be higher than normal. . .

The Defending player (the player with less Asset Points going into this mission) places all ships first, anywhere in the central area of the board further than Range 3 from any table edge.  The Attacking Player (the player with more Asset Points going into this mission) then places all forces along a single table edge within Range 1 of that table edge.  Once the Defending Player has deployed, the Defender may rotate (but not displace) any or all ships to a new facing based on the Attacker’s deployment.

Each player brings a 300 point list.  The Defending Player must include 4 Unique Crew members from their faction.  These cards do not count against the 300 points they are allowed to spend on their squadron list.  Furthermore, the Defending Player cannot use the EPTs Veteran Instincts or Adaptability (but may use different EPTs in their stead).

Minefield Mapper is banned.

Play:

The Attacker has initiative.  Play proceeds normally.

All Defending Pilots start with +2 to PS.  When the first defending VIP is killed, this drops to +1 PS.  After the second VIP is killed, pilots have their natural PS.  After 3 VIPs are killed, defending pilots are at -1 PS.  The Emperor (or any other crew that requires 2 Crew Slots), if used, counts as 1 VIP, but his loss results in an additional -1 PS when he is killed.

At the beginning of Turn 7, VIPs may begin fleeing the battlefield.  Any ship that makes it to any table edge on Turn 7 or later makes the jump to hyperspace and survives.

Victory Conditions:

Every leader killed is worth 2 Asset points to the Attacker, every leader that survives (either on the table because the opposing fleet is destroyed or successfully makes the jump to hyperspace) is worth 4 points to the underdog.  If the margin is close, the loser might just become the winner!!  Also, if the Defending player does not have enough unique pilots left, see the section on Pilot Mortality (in the campaign document) for his options.

Posted (edited)

And now, the exciting conclusion:

The Imperials are in full retreat, and the Rebels pounce on a secret meeting to kill the Emperor!!

e9vWLmU.jpg

The TIE Defenders head in to hold off the B-wings, while the shuttles make scarce.  It works pretty well, although Mara Jade in the Lambda heads into trouble with Han, Luke and some X-Wings:

xJX8p01.jpg

This puts the rest of the VIPs in the backfield, with a half-dozen Defenders scrumming with the B-Wings.  The /Ds have a ton of fun tossing B-wings onto asteroids, into minefields, and feeding the space slugs.

ZxrwELi.jpg

0lf6t5q.jpg

Meanwhile, Han and his X-wing escort chase down and destroy the Emperor's shuttle.

udY0tYl.jpg

Ysanne Isard scoots around the side of the conflict in a TIE Reaper that looks a lot like a Punisher.  She makes good her escape, while Agent Kallus is caught in the middle and is also destroyed.

6DkB9Bp.jpg

Rebels gain 6 Asset Points; the Imperials gain 4 points.

End totals:  27 points Rebels, 11 points Imperials.*

The Rebels win the battle, as well as the campaign.

And, as my wife would say, "That's how it's supposed to be."

*Sadly the huge spread is because of Episode 5, which was a total loss for the Imperials.  On a side note, we had played every scenario save that one before launching the campaign; it could be that the scenario needs better balance (tougher crates, for one thing}, or my strategy was just bad because we had never run it before.  Or both.  If that battle had gone up the middle, at 6 crates each, the Empire would have actually won by 2 points!  Hopefully this implies pretty decent balance for the campaign as a whole. 

In any event, my brother and I are finally going to play 2.0 next month.  We will run this campaign again with me being Rebels, and I am going to consider ways to 2.0-ify it.

Also, I'm tired of looking across the board at B-Wings.  One thought we had was that a player may need to buy replacement ships throughout the campaign.  When a chassis is purchased, you get 12 ships for small and 4 ships for large.  When they all are gone, you can buy 6/2 more at a higher cost, or acquire a new chassis for less.  Maybe allow Z-95s and TIE/lns as free fodder for the entire campaign.  It would really up the bookkeeping because I have to keep track of KIA pilots as well as ships, and make games run longer because a dead generic will matter.  In any event, I'll be the Rebels next time, so I'll probably have a chance to get tired of looking across the board as TIE Defenders. :huh:

Edited by Darth Meanie